We are planning a 4 week holiday to Italy next June/July with our children who will be aged 10 and 8 to escape our Winter.
We will fly from Australia to Rome and out of Paris 5 weeks later.
I would love some advice please, on both our itinerary and alternative options by people who are more familiar with the areas than I am.
I can speak Italian and DH and I have travelled extensively in Europe pre-children, but since having our kids we have stayed in Australia, Asia and the USA for holidays...the flight lengths to Europe have been off-putting until now.
Rome; 7 nights
Lucca; 7 nights
Ligurian Coast (SML we think at this stage, am open to suggestions though); 7 nights
Varenna (Como); 7 nights / Varenna 5 nights plus Milan or Turin 2 nights
Paris; 7 nights
We were originally planning to stay in the Val d'Orcia and hiring a car, but the more we thought about not having a car, the more relaxed we became. That is why we are considering Lucca as we can hang around there and enjoy the town or take day trips on a train.
Three other places we have seriously considered over Lucca are Bologna, Parma and Verona, I would love your opinions on this.
Also, would you stay in Como area for 7 nights or add a city for 2 nights.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary Help for Sicily
- 2 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 3 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 4 Restaurants near Cortina, Italy
- 5 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 6 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 7 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 8 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 9 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 10 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 11 Nice room in Venice in late September for £150?
- 12 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 13 Scotland in December
- 14 10 days in London in early December
- 15 Iceland
- 16 Greece
- 17 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 18 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 19 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 20 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 21 Berlin to ?
- 22 4 nights Prague..then where? Need help
- 23 Does the heat of Europe ever grind you down?
- 24 tickets for Wimbledon
- 25 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living