My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ever Seen the 'Baked Bean' In London?
- 2 Great restaurants in Italy
- 3 4 weeks by rail starting Rome
- 4 Transportation in Italy - rent a car or stick to trains?
- 5 Paris Apt Locations - Your Opinion on Apts
- 6 Spending time in Berner Oblerand - Take a side trip to Saas Fee?
- 7 Amalfi coast in May
- 8 Napoli Centrale: Luggage/Storage Lockers?
- 9 Euro Quiz # 43 - Geography
- 10 One day in Paris, Looking for a great Full day tour.
- 11 Amsterday > Bruges
- 12 CDG questions
- 13 Need help on almost 3 weeks in Ireland: itinerary
- 14 Liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago
- 15 Greece after the Vote
- 16 Train to Harry Potter Studio---Tips?
- 17 Switzerland Trip with Family
- 18 Ireland 6 days / 5 nights
- 19 Germany for 3 weeks
- 20 Germany and Switzerland
- 21 Euro quiz # 42 - Trains, Trains and Railways...
- 22 Trip Report: Sheep Rule. A Week in Scotland
- 23 Renting an apt.
- 24 Food options near Tower (& Leadenhall Mkt?)
- 25 northern Portugal