My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How long in Venice?
- 2 Traditional food in Athens
- 3 After a Wild Thyme in Armenia: Retreat to Moscow
- 4 Need advice on Northern Spain itinerary
- 5 Cheap Traveling in Spain
- 6 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 7 Getting cash in Spain
- 8 Looking for review of 1-day Pompeii/Naples Itinerary Please
- 9 Outerwear France Beginning of September
- 10 No Time for Both...so...Segovia or Salamanca
- 11 Trip report: Milan and Lake Como
- 12 Italy Itinerary help - leaving in <2 weeks
- 13 Moscow AND St Petersburg
- 14 Russian Folk Dance program in Moscow
- 15 First Time Going to Europe
- 16 Greek Ferries in October - Q's
- 17 Cotswolds village base
- 18 Secure parking in Tarifa, Spain
- 19 I booked "Paris in Winter"
- 20 atm cards in Spain
- 21 Germany Visa for conference
- 22 TGV Train Tickets/Passes
- 23 9 Days In Ireland-Flying in and out of Shannon
- 24 Where to leave luggage while touring Amsterdam for 10 hours
- 25 If you had a week in Switzerland...