My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cotswold Churches
- 2 Is Venice really dirty?
- 3 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 4 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 5 57 Reasons to Love Yorkshire
- 6 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 7 How Long Does it take to get to FCO
- 8 Best beach town in Italy?
- 9 Where to go in France mid July?
- 10 Help with England/Wales tour
- 11 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 12 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 13 TRYP or Hotel Londres Inglaterra
- 14 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 15 50yo sf. Barcelona at night...?
- 16 Italy and Croatia
- 17 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 18 Travel between Madrid and Caceres
- 19 Five nights in Extremadura
- 20 Help with Southern France & Italy Itinerary
- 21 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 22 Best Car Rental company in Italy?
- 23 trip to norway
- 24 3 weeks in France starting in burgundy
- 25 Roaming Romania, Take Two