My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
View all Europe activity »
- 1 NEW TO FODORS: Suggestions/Advice for 10 days in Europe
- 2 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 3 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 4 at last an itinerary: feedback and hotel suggestions please
- 5 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 6 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 7 Bologna Restaurants open on Sunday?
- 8 Trip Report - Fringe Movements
- 9 Our Happy Return to Sunny Tuscany (plus a small bite of Bologna, too!)
- 10 A full week in The Netherlands
- 11 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 12 Photo trip report - Belgium/France/Germany
- 13 Itinerary Questions
- 14 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 15 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 16 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 17 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 18 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 19 Lake como
- 20 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 21 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 22 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 23 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 24 Italy with 4 teenagers, 1 child and a husband in 18 days - thoughts?
- 25 Naples report - including staying in the centro storico