My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary Help!
- 2 UK for 12 days !
- 3 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 4 day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 5 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 6 christmas lunch or dinner munich 2014
- 7 Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites
- 8 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 9 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 10 Help us plan our itinerary......pleeeeeaaase
- 11 First Solo Euro Trip -- August 2014
- 12 tour guides in rome
- 13 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 14 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 15 Travelling two weeks in London, Ireland and Scotland.
- 16 Day trip on the Rhine
- 17 poland to switzerland
- 18 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 19 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 20 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 21 People acting out Paris Metro Names
- 22 England/Scotland Itinerary
- 23 Reims for a day
- 24 Toulouse and beyond -
- 25 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas