My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Riva del Garda to Rome
- 2 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 3 Stereotypes about various nationalities
- 4 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 5 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 6 Is Venice really dirty?
- 7 Authentic czech food
- 8 6+ weeks in Portugal and Spain - itinerary suggestions pls
- 9 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 10 Two weeks in Paris guiding 4 couples. Need help with itinerary!
- 11 Where to stay in Tuscany with a 5 year old
- 12 Kimhe--flamenco
- 13 Prague, Krakow, Budapest and Vienna
- 14 Limavady, Ireland?? Where is it?
- 15 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 16 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 17 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 18 Kids in Pubs -- N Ireland and Ireland
- 19 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 20 Your Top Tourist Mob Scenes in Europe?
- 21 Christmas in London
- 22 Autumn in Paris
- 23 Updated ATM info for Greece and Turkey
- 24 Norway Advice
- 25 Visiting Mostar, Bosnia and Kotor, Montenegro from Croatia