My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
- 1 Ireland Trip - Final Decision
- 2 Slovenia/Northern Croatia in mid-August - hotel and other advice?
- 3 Help me with Dali and Costa Brava itinerary from Barcelona
- 4 Medieval castles dinner from Galway
- 5 Ireland's Murphy's Pub's
- 6 Flying from New York City to Cinque Terre, Italy
- 7 What is the best travel/tour agency to use for escorted trips abroad?
- 8 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 9 Paris metro
- 10 Help choosing lodging on Antrim coast area
- 11 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 12 Beauty Products in France?!
- 13 Soloing Russian Winter - The Travel Tips
- 14 Hot Air Balloon crash in Cappadocia kills two, injures twenty-three
- 15 3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK (The Trip)
- 16 Four Days in Seville
- 17 Any experiences with Airbnb?
- 18 Accommodation in Lauterbrunnen
- 19 Help with itenerary
- 20 Garmisch-Partenkirchen accomodations
- 21 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 22 Rome to Amalfie Coast-10 year anniversary
- 23 Rome Airport to Amalfi Coast
- 24 2 Week Trip to France - Please Help Me Stu Dudley
- 25 1st, 6th or 7th in Paris