My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lake Como -> Milan -> Last Supper; ferry,train,bus?? Help needed
- 2 Italy/ Spain in December
- 3 NT in devon and cornwall
- 4 Italian Lakes + Switzerland
- 5 Bernina and Glacier Express routes
- 6 travel in Spain or France from Barcelona or Madrid
- 7 DCC on the increase?
- 8 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 9 help and advice
- 10 Where to stay in Paris - first time young, solo female
- 11 Sweden - Gothenburg and Malmö photo gallery and tourist attractions
- 12 Which 2 of these 3: Lekeitio, Getaria, and Hondarribia
- 13 Rome 2015- A Spring Break Adventure!
- 14 Need help with Normandy & Loire Valley itinerary + extra days
- 15 Lyon Arrondissements
- 16 Euro quiz # 89 - Potpourri
- 17 Hello and advice please to help plan our visit
- 18 Scenic Beauty in Greek Island ? Crete or other island ?
- 19 Need suggestions for day trips in Provence
- 20 VALI DI RAGUSA
- 21 Help with Greece Itinerary for Honeymoon!
- 22 Spa in Scotland
- 23 EUROPE IN 5 MONTHS
- 24 Booking Greece Ferry Tickets online
- 25 Any French Riviera Beach Reccs?