My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Germany and Poland Itinerary - Would appreciate feedback
- 2 Bologna tips
- 3 Transportation from Nice to Florence
- 4 Edinburgh - outings?
- 5 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 6 London and Where Else in late December?
- 7 Spain - Cadaques to Girona
- 8 How much time did -you- spend in Delphi and Olympia?
- 9 plug adaptors for Switzerland
- 10 What to wear
- 11 Scotland: Scone Game Day vs St. Andrews?
- 12 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 13 Spain, France, Netherlands with 18, 19 yo grandsons
- 14 What can we do with 4 hours in Paris layover
- 15 2 Weeks in Italy - In Less than 2 Weeks!
- 16 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 17 Couples trip- 18 nights-Itinerary Help
- 18 Madrid and London
- 19 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 20 Planning for Italy trip with a two-year old
- 21 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 22 Electronic plug adapter for Italy
- 23 Bologna airport to train to Florence
- 24 Gargano Promontory
- 25 London neighborhood suggestions