My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Irish wedding - correct attire advice please?
- 2 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 3 I need a haircut
- 4 Istanbul - Itinerary recommendations
- 5 Hire car seville to lisbon
- 6 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 7 Berlin to Salzburg in 2 weeks
- 8 Duoro Valley lodging for 3 in June
- 9 Aberdeen Angus steakhouse
- 10 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 11 3 weeks France + north Italy itinerary
- 12 We Need a Pact
- 13 DOURO RIVER CRUISE - 1 DAY - PORTO-PINHAO-PORTO
- 14 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 15 german rail ticket question
- 16 Best places to shop for leather handbags in Florence
- 17 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 18 flea markets in France
- 19 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 20 Italy vacation rental help
- 21 Best website to book tickets for Uffizi Gallery Florence
- 22 Monet in Normandy
- 23 Day trip to Chartres -mini questions
- 24 Suggestions on how best to spend our time in Lyon
- 25 Honeymooning in Europe