My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best town to stay in when visiting Grossglockner area in Austria?
- 2 Southern Italy in November
- 3 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 4 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 5 Savoring Sicily - A Trip Report
- 6 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 7 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 8 booking hotels on trip advisor vs booking.com, etc
- 9 Venice/Rome/Florence/London
- 10 Italy in October
- 11 New Micheline star restaurants in Madrid and elsewhere in Spain & Portugal
- 12 Ugh, plane ticket prices
- 13 Please help with Sicily Itinerary!
- 14 Living like a local (sort of) in London
- 15 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 16 3 weeks in Sicily
- 17 Help with Tuscany for a week late May/early June
- 18 Seville - Easter weekend - Delays? Crowds?
- 19 Iceland tour, first time - advice appreciated!
- 20 Which West & East European Countries give the best bang for the buck?
- 21 Please help! 3weeks Europe Holiday Itinerary holiday
- 22 What is the best way to get to Frankfurt from Pozieres
- 23 Dollhouse furniture
- 24 Best Way To Pay For the Tube
- 25 Help with a short post-cruise stay in (potentially) Sorrento