My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Using the Garmin nuvi 2598 in Italy
- 2 4 days in Sorrento, 4 days in Rome--expert advice needed!
- 3 Random Rome Questions
- 4 Easier connection to London's city center -- Gatwick or Stansted?
- 5 Family Cruises
- 6 Berlin, Dresden and Prague or Berlin and Vienna?
- 7 Help with Belgium-Netherlands Itinerary
- 8 Berlin to Prague by car
- 9 Amsterdam B&B -- Tulipa -- Feedback Wanted
- 10 Capital One 360 Card -- Fees for Cash Withdrawal?
- 11 Oslo, Norway - worth the trip?
- 12 Paris, France NYE hotel, city center, or CDG?
- 13 EuropeanQuiz # 70 ( Friday)
- 14 Rental car and Portugal toll charges
- 15 Free 02 Wifi with iPhone in London
- 16 Refining Alsace itinerary
- 17 Where to stay in London
- 18 Trip report: visit to Hampton Court Palace (London)
- 19 Driving to Beaune
- 20 Travelling to France
- 21 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 22 Makes Blackpool look Fab
- 23 Jeff Steiner interviews Adrian Leeds re Paris short-term rentals.
- 24 Cappadocia Cave hotel suggestion
- 25 Three Months in Southern Spain