My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 2 Visiting the UK (2 Weeks, need help)
- 3 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 4 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 5 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 6 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 7 Local Tour in Provence?
- 8 Yearly Greece visitor looking for different island
- 9 5am arrival in Dublin
- 10 10 Hours in Brussels
- 11 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 12 Phone for in-country calls in Greece
- 13 Anyone stayed in Podere Spedalone?
- 14 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 15 2 Weeks in Italy in early October
- 16 3.5 days in Andalucia
- 17 Hotel in Venice
- 18 What are the best places to see in England
- 19 Landscape in Languedoc, in the Herault region ?
- 20 Transportation in Barcelona
- 21 Southern Spain wth family in 1 week by car
- 22 Day Trips from Avignon via train/bus
- 23 Spend a year in the Dolomites
- 24 Ony 3-4 nights in Ortigia, priorities?????????
- 25 Bordeaux, Burgundy & Paris recommendations