We will be arriving in Switzerland for our honeymoon in early October 2013. We will have 4 or maybe 5 nights.
I originally thought we would fly into Geneva and stay in Montreux and Zermatt, before heading to Milan. However, I have just realised flights to Zurich are much better for us (from South Australia) and more direct - 23 hours as opposed to 30.
I am now thinking of spending our time time in Lucerne. We would like to see Switzerland as you see it on movies and in books - lakes, snow capped mountains, chalets etc. We are looking at doing some day trips and relaxing as it will be the start of a busy honeymoon and we would have had a busy few months leading up to it!
I have thought about staying in the Bernese Oberland but the travel to these areas seems very burdensome, and we are hoping to be able to travel to Milan in 4 hours or less from where we are so we arrive around lunch time. Also keep within a few hours of Zurich as the last thing we would want after a long-haul flight is excessive travel.
With all this in mind, does Lucerne fit the bill? I have looked at the Hotel Pilatus-Kulm which I think looks great for one night (has anyone stayed up there?), and then I was thinking the other 3/4 nights either in Lucerne itself or perhaps in Vitznau or Weggis. Looking at 4/5 star or equivalent accommodation at or around 400chf a night.
Anyway if anyone could give me some feedback on this, I would greatly appreciate it. We are in our 20's and enjoy good food and wine, but are not looking for nightlife. We would like somewhere generally convenient but also scenic. We enjoy walking and are happy to walk around 15km/10 miles a day.
Also - as the weather at this time of year (as we are going roughly in 12 months!!) is a bit unpredictable, we would like somewhere that has something to do in case of bad weather.
Thanks so much in advance!!
4 nights in Switzerland - Lucerne?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 2 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 3 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 4 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 5 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 6 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 7 Our Brief Bavarian Break: Christmas Markets
- 8 A Sardinia trip report
- 9 Granada
- 10 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"
- 11 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 12 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 13 All Set To Go!!
- 14 First time to Switzerland
- 15 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?
- 16 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 17 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 18 Eastern Europe
- 19 Trip Report: 17 days in Switzerland, Austria & Czech Republic
- 20 10 Days in Emilia-Romagna : Thinking of 3 Days Bologna and Then??
- 21 Switzerland help...?
- 22 Base for a Week in Normandy or Brittany in July
- 23 Airport ATMs
- 24 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 25 London to Paris by train