We will be arriving in Switzerland for our honeymoon in early October 2013. We will have 4 or maybe 5 nights.
I originally thought we would fly into Geneva and stay in Montreux and Zermatt, before heading to Milan. However, I have just realised flights to Zurich are much better for us (from South Australia) and more direct - 23 hours as opposed to 30.
I am now thinking of spending our time time in Lucerne. We would like to see Switzerland as you see it on movies and in books - lakes, snow capped mountains, chalets etc. We are looking at doing some day trips and relaxing as it will be the start of a busy honeymoon and we would have had a busy few months leading up to it!
I have thought about staying in the Bernese Oberland but the travel to these areas seems very burdensome, and we are hoping to be able to travel to Milan in 4 hours or less from where we are so we arrive around lunch time. Also keep within a few hours of Zurich as the last thing we would want after a long-haul flight is excessive travel.
With all this in mind, does Lucerne fit the bill? I have looked at the Hotel Pilatus-Kulm which I think looks great for one night (has anyone stayed up there?), and then I was thinking the other 3/4 nights either in Lucerne itself or perhaps in Vitznau or Weggis. Looking at 4/5 star or equivalent accommodation at or around 400chf a night.
Anyway if anyone could give me some feedback on this, I would greatly appreciate it. We are in our 20's and enjoy good food and wine, but are not looking for nightlife. We would like somewhere generally convenient but also scenic. We enjoy walking and are happy to walk around 15km/10 miles a day.
Also - as the weather at this time of year (as we are going roughly in 12 months!!) is a bit unpredictable, we would like somewhere that has something to do in case of bad weather.
Thanks so much in advance!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Krakow, Berlin
- 2 Prague & Croatia
- 3 Italy, somewhere new - recommendations please.
- 4 10 Day Trip to Prague, Salzburg, Munich
- 5 Need suggestions on where to stay in Porto?
- 6 Cost of Taxi from Ravello to Positano?
- 7 10 days in Spain (Madrid and ???)
- 8 Ireland - Northern or Western
- 9 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 10 Florence airport costumes
- 11 Road trip from Milan Rome
- 12 A few last minute questions
- 13 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 14 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 15 Gluten Free in Italy
- 16 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 17 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 18 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 19 restaurants and stores in Haut-de-Cagnes in late October?
- 20 Twelve Nights: Venice, Bologna & Paris (plus Ravenna)
- 21 Trip to Spain in the Fall
- 22 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 23 The Bridges of Wroclaw
- 24 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 25 Venice, Italy to Amalfi coast