We will be arriving in Switzerland for our honeymoon in early October 2013. We will have 4 or maybe 5 nights.
I originally thought we would fly into Geneva and stay in Montreux and Zermatt, before heading to Milan. However, I have just realised flights to Zurich are much better for us (from South Australia) and more direct - 23 hours as opposed to 30.
I am now thinking of spending our time time in Lucerne. We would like to see Switzerland as you see it on movies and in books - lakes, snow capped mountains, chalets etc. We are looking at doing some day trips and relaxing as it will be the start of a busy honeymoon and we would have had a busy few months leading up to it!
I have thought about staying in the Bernese Oberland but the travel to these areas seems very burdensome, and we are hoping to be able to travel to Milan in 4 hours or less from where we are so we arrive around lunch time. Also keep within a few hours of Zurich as the last thing we would want after a long-haul flight is excessive travel.
With all this in mind, does Lucerne fit the bill? I have looked at the Hotel Pilatus-Kulm which I think looks great for one night (has anyone stayed up there?), and then I was thinking the other 3/4 nights either in Lucerne itself or perhaps in Vitznau or Weggis. Looking at 4/5 star or equivalent accommodation at or around 400chf a night.
Anyway if anyone could give me some feedback on this, I would greatly appreciate it. We are in our 20's and enjoy good food and wine, but are not looking for nightlife. We would like somewhere generally convenient but also scenic. We enjoy walking and are happy to walk around 15km/10 miles a day.
Also - as the weather at this time of year (as we are going roughly in 12 months!!) is a bit unpredictable, we would like somewhere that has something to do in case of bad weather.
Thanks so much in advance!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://glycematefacts.com/thunder-rock-male-enhancement-scam/
- 2 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 3 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 4 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 5 Which European country to visit in November? Spain/Italy/France?
- 6 Stockholm & Copenhagen - 7 Nights early Sep
- 7 http://isscamreview.com/tanaka-cargill-group-scam/
- 8 Milan to Zurich - stops & stayovers
- 9 Sicily transportation
- 10 Car Rental at Malaga Port
- 11 One quick week -- where in France?
- 12 3 days with a Swindon base
- 13 Brugge or Ghent?
- 14 Berlin Hotel feedback
- 15 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 16 Renaissance art - what is a "bierhead" ?
- 17 dubrovnik activities. Bay of Kotor
- 18 Jetlagged first day in Hamburg
- 19 Need help - Interlaken OR Zermatt / St.Martiz to spend time
- 20 Krka waterfalls- Best time and best hotel?
- 21 Which Guided Tour ??
- 22 easy daytrip from Firenze (without car)
- 23 What Greek islands should I visit
- 24 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 25 Day trips on Irish Rail from Dublin?