We will be arriving in Switzerland for our honeymoon in early October 2013. We will have 4 or maybe 5 nights.
I originally thought we would fly into Geneva and stay in Montreux and Zermatt, before heading to Milan. However, I have just realised flights to Zurich are much better for us (from South Australia) and more direct - 23 hours as opposed to 30.
I am now thinking of spending our time time in Lucerne. We would like to see Switzerland as you see it on movies and in books - lakes, snow capped mountains, chalets etc. We are looking at doing some day trips and relaxing as it will be the start of a busy honeymoon and we would have had a busy few months leading up to it!
I have thought about staying in the Bernese Oberland but the travel to these areas seems very burdensome, and we are hoping to be able to travel to Milan in 4 hours or less from where we are so we arrive around lunch time. Also keep within a few hours of Zurich as the last thing we would want after a long-haul flight is excessive travel.
With all this in mind, does Lucerne fit the bill? I have looked at the Hotel Pilatus-Kulm which I think looks great for one night (has anyone stayed up there?), and then I was thinking the other 3/4 nights either in Lucerne itself or perhaps in Vitznau or Weggis. Looking at 4/5 star or equivalent accommodation at or around 400chf a night.
Anyway if anyone could give me some feedback on this, I would greatly appreciate it. We are in our 20's and enjoy good food and wine, but are not looking for nightlife. We would like somewhere generally convenient but also scenic. We enjoy walking and are happy to walk around 15km/10 miles a day.
Also - as the weather at this time of year (as we are going roughly in 12 months!!) is a bit unpredictable, we would like somewhere that has something to do in case of bad weather.
Thanks so much in advance!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 2 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 3 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 4 Tour Company reviews - European Graduation Trip
- 5 14 days in Italy. Advice needed
- 6 Roadtrip: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxemburg
- 7 Matera tour guide wanted
- 8 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 9 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 10 Service dog
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 13 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 14 Scottish National Museum of Rural Life
- 15 Coastal Denmark
- 16 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 17 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 18 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 19 Iceland
- 20 Help with my southern Spain itinerary please!
- 21 croatia and slovenia 29/10 - 06/11
- 22 base for Andalucia
- 23 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 24 ANY SUGGESTION WHICH AREA OF MADRID TO STAY FOR ACCOMODATION
- 25 Scilly Islands --Abbey Gardens --Tresco