I will be studying on exchange for 4 months, beginning January 2015, and I will likely stay in Europe for a little while longer upon the end of the exchange to enjoy the continent during the early summer months. Yes, I know 2015 is a long way from now, but I need to select my host country by the end of this year.
I will be looking to travel all over the continent (both in Western and Eastern Europe) during my exchange and after it ends, and I have two questions that I was hoping someone may be able to help:
1) Which city would you recommend for a study exchange that has easy (and cheap) access to inter-Europe travel options, other than Paris (very familiar with Paris; would prefer a new experience)? I am fluent (read, write, spoken) in English, French and Spanish)
*Please note that the options offered by my school that I would consider include: France, Spain, Belgium, Germany, the UK, and the Netherlands*
2) Budget. How much would a trip like this (let's say 4 months + 2 months of travelling after the exchange) cost, realistically, not including living expenses for the exchange itself? I don't mind sleeping on someone's floor when I travel (although couch-surfing and hostel website suggestions would be appreciated), and I'm very cost-aware - but I do enjoy the occasional splurge.
Thank you to all those who got to the bottom of this post! I look forward to reading your replies, and I appreciate all of your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 2 Charles De Gualle Airport, Paris to Eiffel Tower
- 3 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 4 European Championship
- 5 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 6 Things I Learned in 3 Weeks in southern Ireland
- 7 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 8 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 9 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 10 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 11 Getting from Gare de L'Est to Gare de Lyon
- 12 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 13 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 14 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 15 Scenic full day drive from Bacharach & return?
- 16 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 17 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 18 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 19 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 20 Le Marche, Italy
- 21 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 22 Ballet Bolshoi
- 23 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 24 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 25 London, guided tours vs "do it oursleves"