I am trying to put together our itinerary for an upcoming month-long trip to France. We will be spending 5 days in Burgundy, 4 of those in the Yonne department (near Joigny). We will have already been to Normandy and the Loire Valley. Our girl are 8 and 10. They are active girls but also enjoy artsy stuff. I recognize I may be packing too much stuff into each day so would appreciate views on what to drop.
So far I have this notional itinerary:
1. Day 1 - Hit market day in Joigny. Rent bikes for 1-2 hours along one of the canals (maybe renting in Migennes? Can't find a bike rental place in Joigny itself). Visit to La Fabuloserie OR Laduz for folk art stuff which may interest kids.
2. Day 2 - visit to Guedelon construction site to see castle being built using traditional materials. Guided visit at 2 pm in English. Can register girls for 12 pm stone carving workshop. Thoughts on lunch -- stop at boulangerie to pick up picnic fixings to eat at site? Is this a full-day activity or should we also combine w/ something in the area (parc de Boutissaint or Poterie de la Batisse)?
3. Day 3 - Visit to Vezelay and Auxerre (two towns that seem highly recommended).
4. Day 4 - drive to Beaune/ Dijon. Overnight in Dijon before taking TGV to Avignon.
I had Chateau de Tanlay or Ancy-le-franc but dropped those at hubby's request to substitute Guedelon site (he told me he will be "castled- out" after Loire and as an engineer is much more interested in Guedelon! Note this is our second visit to France where we stayed in the Dordogne].
Merci a l'avance! Welcome any additional suggestions, restos, other activities that kids may enjoy that I missed.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 2 Italy - to return home from Naples or Rome?
- 3 Oporto
- 4 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 5 Budget for 8 weeks in europe
- 6 Porto and vicinity
- 7 Rome to venice
- 8 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 9 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 10 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 11 help with Italy itinerary
- 12 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 13 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 14 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 15 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 16 Le Marche Research Help
- 17 Organised day tours v/s self travel
- 18 How long from Heathrow to Isle of Wight
- 19 Krakow to Prague CAR SERVICE
- 20 Day trips to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court from London
- 21 Undisclsoed location
- 22 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 23 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands
- 24 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 25 Italy bus or train
4 days in the Yonne (Burgundy) with kids - itinerary suggestions?