I am trying to put together our itinerary for an upcoming month-long trip to France. We will be spending 5 days in Burgundy, 4 of those in the Yonne department (near Joigny). We will have already been to Normandy and the Loire Valley. Our girl are 8 and 10. They are active girls but also enjoy artsy stuff. I recognize I may be packing too much stuff into each day so would appreciate views on what to drop.
So far I have this notional itinerary:
1. Day 1 - Hit market day in Joigny. Rent bikes for 1-2 hours along one of the canals (maybe renting in Migennes? Can't find a bike rental place in Joigny itself). Visit to La Fabuloserie OR Laduz for folk art stuff which may interest kids.
2. Day 2 - visit to Guedelon construction site to see castle being built using traditional materials. Guided visit at 2 pm in English. Can register girls for 12 pm stone carving workshop. Thoughts on lunch -- stop at boulangerie to pick up picnic fixings to eat at site? Is this a full-day activity or should we also combine w/ something in the area (parc de Boutissaint or Poterie de la Batisse)?
3. Day 3 - Visit to Vezelay and Auxerre (two towns that seem highly recommended).
4. Day 4 - drive to Beaune/ Dijon. Overnight in Dijon before taking TGV to Avignon.
I had Chateau de Tanlay or Ancy-le-franc but dropped those at hubby's request to substitute Guedelon site (he told me he will be "castled- out" after Loire and as an engineer is much more interested in Guedelon! Note this is our second visit to France where we stayed in the Dordogne].
Merci a l'avance! Welcome any additional suggestions, restos, other activities that kids may enjoy that I missed.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming hotel in a village along the Rhine?
- 2 Planning a European Trip
- 3 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 4 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 5 Lisbon trip report
- 6 restaurants in Marais district
- 7 Scotland - Highlands in May or June?
- 8 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 9 Any Lisbon or Porto trip reports?
- 10 Best travelling Dordogne to Barcelona?
- 11 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 12 Where to spend a week in Italy
- 13 Ireland trip planning recommendations - March
- 14 Ireland travel passport question
- 15 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 16 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 17 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 18 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 19 Help with timeline. Connecting flights in London Gatwick
- 20 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 21 Norway Itinerary
- 22 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 23 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 24 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 25 Hotels in Kamari or Perissa/Perivolos Beaches - Santorini
4 days in the Yonne (Burgundy) with kids - itinerary suggestions?