I am trying to put together our itinerary for an upcoming month-long trip to France. We will be spending 5 days in Burgundy, 4 of those in the Yonne department (near Joigny). We will have already been to Normandy and the Loire Valley. Our girl are 8 and 10. They are active girls but also enjoy artsy stuff. I recognize I may be packing too much stuff into each day so would appreciate views on what to drop.
So far I have this notional itinerary:
1. Day 1 - Hit market day in Joigny. Rent bikes for 1-2 hours along one of the canals (maybe renting in Migennes? Can't find a bike rental place in Joigny itself). Visit to La Fabuloserie OR Laduz for folk art stuff which may interest kids.
2. Day 2 - visit to Guedelon construction site to see castle being built using traditional materials. Guided visit at 2 pm in English. Can register girls for 12 pm stone carving workshop. Thoughts on lunch -- stop at boulangerie to pick up picnic fixings to eat at site? Is this a full-day activity or should we also combine w/ something in the area (parc de Boutissaint or Poterie de la Batisse)?
3. Day 3 - Visit to Vezelay and Auxerre (two towns that seem highly recommended).
4. Day 4 - drive to Beaune/ Dijon. Overnight in Dijon before taking TGV to Avignon.
I had Chateau de Tanlay or Ancy-le-franc but dropped those at hubby's request to substitute Guedelon site (he told me he will be "castled- out" after Loire and as an engineer is much more interested in Guedelon! Note this is our second visit to France where we stayed in the Dordogne].
Merci a l'avance! Welcome any additional suggestions, restos, other activities that kids may enjoy that I missed.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Guide in Russia
- 2 Train travel
- 3 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 4 SKIP THE LINE TICKETS TO VERSAILLES AND LOUVRE
- 5 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 6 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 7 Barcelona - places to stay
- 8 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 9 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 10 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 11 travel fan 220v?
- 12 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 13 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 14 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 15 First Trip to Paris
- 16 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 17 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 18 B&Bs in Ireland
- 19 Store luggage in Rome for a few hours
- 20 WWI Battlefields
- 21 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 22 Visiting Zurich
- 23 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 24 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 25 Switzerland
4 days in the Yonne (Burgundy) with kids - itinerary suggestions?