I am trying to put together our itinerary for an upcoming month-long trip to France. We will be spending 5 days in Burgundy, 4 of those in the Yonne department (near Joigny). We will have already been to Normandy and the Loire Valley. Our girl are 8 and 10. They are active girls but also enjoy artsy stuff. I recognize I may be packing too much stuff into each day so would appreciate views on what to drop.
So far I have this notional itinerary:
1. Day 1 - Hit market day in Joigny. Rent bikes for 1-2 hours along one of the canals (maybe renting in Migennes? Can't find a bike rental place in Joigny itself). Visit to La Fabuloserie OR Laduz for folk art stuff which may interest kids.
2. Day 2 - visit to Guedelon construction site to see castle being built using traditional materials. Guided visit at 2 pm in English. Can register girls for 12 pm stone carving workshop. Thoughts on lunch -- stop at boulangerie to pick up picnic fixings to eat at site? Is this a full-day activity or should we also combine w/ something in the area (parc de Boutissaint or Poterie de la Batisse)?
3. Day 3 - Visit to Vezelay and Auxerre (two towns that seem highly recommended).
4. Day 4 - drive to Beaune/ Dijon. Overnight in Dijon before taking TGV to Avignon.
I had Chateau de Tanlay or Ancy-le-franc but dropped those at hubby's request to substitute Guedelon site (he told me he will be "castled- out" after Loire and as an engineer is much more interested in Guedelon! Note this is our second visit to France where we stayed in the Dordogne].
Merci a l'avance! Welcome any additional suggestions, restos, other activities that kids may enjoy that I missed.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 2 Bernese Oberland
- 3 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 4 Burgundy/Beaune & Dijon
- 5 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 6 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 7 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 8 London 6 day itinerary
- 9 June Honeymoon in Greek Islands
- 10 Driving a rental car from Croatia to Slovenia
- 11 Threat Level in UK
- 12 ATM
- 13 6 day trip to Italy... Venice to rome
- 14 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 15 Living in Paris......for a week
- 16 ATM help
- 17 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 18 Shortest wait for the Vatican without prebooking online?
- 19 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 20 Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa
- 21 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 22 Iceland trip report!
- 23 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 24 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 25 Athens tour guide advice
4 days in the Yonne (Burgundy) with kids - itinerary suggestions?