I am trying to put together our itinerary for an upcoming month-long trip to France. We will be spending 5 days in Burgundy, 4 of those in the Yonne department (near Joigny). We will have already been to Normandy and the Loire Valley. Our girl are 8 and 10. They are active girls but also enjoy artsy stuff. I recognize I may be packing too much stuff into each day so would appreciate views on what to drop.
So far I have this notional itinerary:
1. Day 1 - Hit market day in Joigny. Rent bikes for 1-2 hours along one of the canals (maybe renting in Migennes? Can't find a bike rental place in Joigny itself). Visit to La Fabuloserie OR Laduz for folk art stuff which may interest kids.
2. Day 2 - visit to Guedelon construction site to see castle being built using traditional materials. Guided visit at 2 pm in English. Can register girls for 12 pm stone carving workshop. Thoughts on lunch -- stop at boulangerie to pick up picnic fixings to eat at site? Is this a full-day activity or should we also combine w/ something in the area (parc de Boutissaint or Poterie de la Batisse)?
3. Day 3 - Visit to Vezelay and Auxerre (two towns that seem highly recommended).
4. Day 4 - drive to Beaune/ Dijon. Overnight in Dijon before taking TGV to Avignon.
I had Chateau de Tanlay or Ancy-le-franc but dropped those at hubby's request to substitute Guedelon site (he told me he will be "castled- out" after Loire and as an engineer is much more interested in Guedelon! Note this is our second visit to France where we stayed in the Dordogne].
Merci a l'avance! Welcome any additional suggestions, restos, other activities that kids may enjoy that I missed.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 2 Public Transportation in England
- 3 Le Marche Research Help
- 4 10 days in Italy with 5 and 10 year olds in July
- 5 Firt time VISA applicant
- 6 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 7 Need Information about French Alps
- 8 Murren to Prague
- 9 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 10 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 11 France Itinerary Advice
- 12 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 13 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 14 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 15 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 16 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 17 Any good apps for Amsterdam?
- 18 Vegetarian Food in Spain & Portugal
- 19 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 20 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 21 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 22 DECORATED FARMHOUSES OF HÄLSINGLAND IN SWEDEN
- 23 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 24 Sintra
- 25 Venice Bell Tower
4 days in the Yonne (Burgundy) with kids - itinerary suggestions?