I think I finally have four full days in Amsterdam proper mapped out. I'll be there July 28-August 2nd. I'll be staying at the Citizen M Amsterdam, with Aug 1-2 at Citizen M Schipol. I will have a Museumkaart, which I think should help with all the lines except for Anne Frank House, right? If so, how do I bypass these lines? Is there a special line at the big museums (Van Gogh, Rijkmuseum, Stadelijk) to go into?
I think the biggest advice I will need is just the timing of certain places. I imagine many will be mobbed as it's summer, and it's all gay pride week. Being gay, I would like to watch a little of the parade on Saturday. I hope museums will still be open.
I'm 32 and move quickly and try to see a lot in one day. I will primarily walk or take trams.
Anyway, here goes:
Basiliek St. Nicolaas
[walk around red light district - will the route above and to skylounge suffice anyway? I realize this isn't at night, but it seems like the best time for my schedule]
Skylounge for light lunch and drink
Walk around Joordaan [where specifically should I walk?]
Amsterdam Tulip Museum
Anne Frank House [I do not have tickets, and I know the line will be long. I was told to come mid-day. Hopefully if I arrive by 4, I can be out by my dinner reservation at 7:45?]
Daalder at 7:45 pm
:Rijksmueum - arrive maybe 9:30 or 10 to avoid opening. Stay 3 hours?
Resistance Museum - Verzelsmuseum [could maybe miss this as it out of the way?]
Museum Van Loon
Amsterdam Canal Cruise perhaps 4 or 4:30. I have already bought online tickets
Lombardos - eat around 6 pm
Stadelijk Museum till 10 - this allows about 3 hours
English reform church
Dubbel eaten and drunken: 6 pm
Van Gogh Museum till 10 - allows about 3 hours, maybe I don't need as much time
Hortus Botanicus at 10
Hermitage [will these and other museums be open in the morning? Mobbed?]
Watch gay pride parade outside the Hermitage about 1:30 or 2 for maybe a couple of hours. Not sure if I should mill around after or go to a gay bar or something
Strandzuid for dinner and hanging out around city beach
Back to Citizen M South, cab to Citizen M Schipol
[only comment here - I'd like to have done Beatrixpark and Strandzuid one of the mornings on a weekday, as perhaps it would not nearly be so crowded, but I worried about missing too much of the sightseeing day with this. Hopefully folks will still be around the pride/central area, and in any event this is very convenient as I'll need to be back in this area anyway].
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sundays in Puglia
- 2 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 3 Itinerary help Portugal and Azores
- 4 Reputable Apartment Company in Granada
- 5 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 6 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 7 Best place to park in Bath and Windsor
- 8 K-Day
- 9 ATM at airport
- 10 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 11 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 12 Flat in London
- 13 Lay over time
- 14 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 15 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 16 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 17 Greek Islands (small)
- 18 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 19 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 20 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 21 Spain in December
- 22 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 23 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 24 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 25 Day trips: which ones are must-do?