In early August, I will be flying into Catania (Tuesday very early), and departing from Catania (Friday evening). My home base will be a hotel in Taormina, and I will have a car.
I need recommendations for nearby towns to see and generally speaking things to do. It's important to know the following:
- I would like to spend some time hiking, and have heard Etna can satisfy this craving. One or two hikes would be ideal (nothing more)
- I would like to have a VERY SMALL amount of time at a beach or two; not a huge proportion of the trip, but maybe half a day if there is a nice one
- I don't mind driving at all, so if there are towns 2 hours away, that's fine!
- The priority for my time in Sicilia = exploring and experiencing local small towns and the culture of those towns.
- I've spent an afternoon in Taormina once. Do I need more than a day of this trip exploring?
I've posted on here before on this topic, but I'm looking for the equivelant of my trip 2 years ago in Tuscany, where I used Montalcino as a base and explored all the small tuscan towns.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://skin4up.com/gifted-anti-aging-cream/
- 2 Scotland in 7 Days
- 3 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 4 Need advice on our trip to Germany, Switzerland and Austria
- 5 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 6 Two day Dublin itinerary
- 7 Azores
- 8 Charles de Gaulle departure
- 9 Barcelona, hiking in Pyrenees + which other? (Costa Brava or Mallorca?)
- 10 Connection time in Athens?
- 11 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 12 SHIP LUGGAGE
- 13 Short Trip in July
- 14 Ludwig Castles
- 15 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 16 Visiting Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week
- 17 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 18 HIking through France for 2 weeks
- 19 Dubrovnik + island or Kotor?
- 20 Escorted Tours
- 21 France Part Deux - Itinerary Advice
- 22 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 23 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 24 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 25 2 Months in Sicily