In early August, I will be flying into Catania (Tuesday very early), and departing from Catania (Friday evening). My home base will be a hotel in Taormina, and I will have a car.
I need recommendations for nearby towns to see and generally speaking things to do. It's important to know the following:
- I would like to spend some time hiking, and have heard Etna can satisfy this craving. One or two hikes would be ideal (nothing more)
- I would like to have a VERY SMALL amount of time at a beach or two; not a huge proportion of the trip, but maybe half a day if there is a nice one
- I don't mind driving at all, so if there are towns 2 hours away, that's fine!
- The priority for my time in Sicilia = exploring and experiencing local small towns and the culture of those towns.
- I've spent an afternoon in Taormina once. Do I need more than a day of this trip exploring?
I've posted on here before on this topic, but I'm looking for the equivelant of my trip 2 years ago in Tuscany, where I used Montalcino as a base and explored all the small tuscan towns.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 2 Globus Iberian Tour
- 3 3nights in Venice
- 4 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 5 Paris in November
- 6 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 7 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 8 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 9 10-Day Trip Planned..Need Recommendations
- 10 Munich itinerary review
- 11 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 12 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 13 Football Tickets - Athens
- 14 Barcelona rental for two couples??
- 15 Travelling to Russia during FIFA
- 16 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
- 17 Last minute trip to Capri
- 18 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 19 Earthquake near Naples
- 20 Budapest to Kosice
- 21 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 22 Best day trips from Perugia and Umbertide
- 23 My 3 days in Venice
- 24 multi city flights to europe
- 25 Loire Valley best place to linger