I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 air conditioning
- 2 Spain (Ibiza or Majorca)
- 3 London(ish) calling. 33C at 10:00am!
- 4 Interesting new site in Utrecht
- 5 Ann Frank House
- 6 Barcelona Itinerary
- 7 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 8 Munich to Milan via train
- 9 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 10 cable cars at Wank Mountain
- 11 Paris Visite pass
- 12 Cheap buses in Germany/Austria
- 13 Need help with Switzerland and Italy iterinary
- 14 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 15 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 16 Turkey Draft Itinerary
- 17 My northern Italy itinerary - your comments are appreciated!
- 18 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 19 Barcelona sites: attire
- 20 Self-driving in Iceland
- 21 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 22 What company to rent a AUTOMATIC car in France?
- 23 First trip to Ireland--won't be the last!
- 24 Travelling from Marseille Airport into the city
- 25 Trip Report: Eight Days in Amsterdam and Belgium