I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
- 1 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 2 Looking for Paris apartment for honeymoon
- 3 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 4 Oystercard/Travelcard planning
- 5 Emergency apartment/hotel - Frankfurt -Dornstetten-Hallwangen area
- 6 Where to stay for one night ???
- 7 Palermo and Taormina
- 8 Car Rental Locations
- 9 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September
- 10 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 11 Tour-Free Travel
- 12 Villa or Hilltop Town?
- 13 Southeast England - more planning ?
- 14 Need restaurant suggestions for Chipping Camden!
- 15 What is the best travel/tour agency to use for escorted trips abroad?
- 16 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 17 Spain / fatima - itinerary suggestion 10 days
- 18 London Spy Sites
- 19 Ile de Re or Bassin d'Archachon at end of July
- 20 Itinerary suggestions please: Munich, Ortisei and ???
- 21 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 22 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 23 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 24 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 25 East coast trains