I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Only 2+ hours for Schonbrunn Palace...timing question
- 2 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 3 10-Hr Auto Tour o Lisbon,Portugal
- 4 Lucerne Switzerland
- 5 Italy Travelogue, part I (Rome)
- 6 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 7 Ellen & Stu Dudley's trip to the Ile de Re & the Loire.
- 8 at what point should one get health insurance
- 9 Good book about 20th C. European history?
- 10 How many pairs of shoes would you bring for a EuroTrip?
- 11 Which is a better hotel location in Rome
- 12 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 13 Tipping in the UK
- 14 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 15 Wurzburg/Regensburg Weather in April
- 16 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 17 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?
- 18 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss
- 19 Greek Islands in October - who's open?
- 20 Easyjet; Vueling; Ryanair "Carryon" Question
- 21 Italy..Tuscany Cinque Terre or Amalfi & Calabria Scilily
- 22 Should one go to an iconic place to eat something not very palatable?
- 23 Solo grad trip in Europe, 24 days in November! Critique appreciated.
- 24 Amsterdam, Antwerp, Bruges over New Years
- 25 Ventimiglia to Trieste