I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
- 1 Southeast England - more planning ?
- 2 I'd like to visit Sicily
- 3 Levanto, Italy B&B
- 4 UK Trip Report So Far....
- 5 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 6 Retirement Vacation
- 7 Planning my days in Paris
- 8 UK flexipass best option?
- 9 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 10 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 11 Florence Day Trip to Sienna: should we stop along the way? Where?
- 12 Ile de Re or Bassin d'Archachon at end of July
- 13 If your passport is stuck in Charleston
- 14 Tour-Free Travel
- 15 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 16 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 17 London Evening Activity
- 18 Netherland -> belgium -> Germany (Rhine Valley)
- 19 Do I Need A Visa for London?
- 20 Car Rental recommendations (Heathrow and Gatwick) ?
- 21 Austria - Salzburg to Vienna (Train and Boat)
- 22 Through Naples to Sorrento or Pompei?
- 23 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 24 Buying tickets for London shows from online sites
- 25 Discount retail liquor stores - Barcelona or Madrid, Spain areas