I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report - Portugal February 2015
- 2 Getting a rheum in Paris, then Django Fest week in Fontainebleau
- 3 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 4 Are children really happy in their childhood?
- 5 Venice 2.25 day Itinerary
- 6 Venice - airport, cruise ship terminal, hotel, & airport taxi question
- 7 Train to Sorrento
- 8 Getting married in Europe- Ceremony
- 9 Istabul to Plovdiv--how to get there?
- 10 After Bordeaux - any suggestions?
- 11 Train tickets in Europe
- 12 Seafari Boat Tour
- 13 Puglia and Matera
- 14 Newbie - seeking any advice
- 15 Kerry /Dingle Bus Tour
- 16 Going to Istanbul for 3 days
- 17 6 nights in Dublin
- 18 Back for more Honeymoon Help
- 19 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 20 two weeks trip to Switzerland and French Rivwra
- 21 Getting to Cinque Terre from Croatia
- 22 What to see in Madrid - by a local
- 23 Hungary outside of Budapest
- 24 One week in Budapest
- 25 Help with 1 week in Normandy / Loire Valley