I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
- 1 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 2 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 3 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 4 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 5 Need advice - Context Tours for Gallery Borghese & Vatican
- 6 Geneva/Graechen/Milan Driving in February
- 7 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 8 Place to propose
- 9 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 10 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 11 Le Marche and Rome - Part 2 - Urbino
- 12 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 13 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 14 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 15 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 16 Venice in Jan
- 17 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 18 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 19 Prague Main Train Station
- 20 The Adriatic? Or Turkey and the Greek Islands?
- 21 Car rental - Orvieto or Rome
- 22 recommended airport transfer in rome italy
- 23 Best private transfer from Civitacchia port to rome airport
- 24 Itinerary Questions
- 25 5 days to see Granada - Seville?