I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Day Trip to Italy
- 2 Which is better for the summer - Black or Baltic Sea?
- 3 Where to stay in Nice? Family of 4.
- 4 Family travel to Paris and Alps
- 5 Mediterranean Vacation - Transportation
- 6 Family trip to France with kids
- 7 One night somewhere between Zurich and Geneva
- 8 Paris Shopping - stationery, linens, hats, kitchen stuff
- 9 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 10 Europe Quiz: Wednesday # 68 - Jews in Europe
- 11 A week in spain
- 12 Leaving Tomorrow need some last minute advice
- 13 scotland trave;
- 14 Alhambra tickets for May?
- 15 Cappadocia Cave hotel suggestion
- 16 Swiss decisions
- 17 10-12 nights in Switzerland and France
- 18 Medieval Dinner other than Bunratty
- 19 Northwestern Switzerland Fall 2014
- 20 More time in Colmar/Strasbourg vs a day for Reims or Chartes
- 21 Train tickets France and Spain
- 22 Europe in June with 8-year old
- 23 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 24 Where to honeymoon in Southern France and Northern Italy?
- 25 Help - Train: Florence to Salerno & Ferry: Salerno to Positano