I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Viator.com in Turkey
- 2 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 3 20th ANNIVERSARY TRIP ITALY Rome, Florence, Tuscany & other nearby towns.
- 4 visit a working farm in Southern Ireland
- 5 Paris to Chantilly transportation question
- 6 2 weeks on Lake Maggiore
- 7 Netflix has expanded to 6 new countries today.
- 8 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 9 Florence Hotel Advice
- 10 Where is this place in Denmark?
- 11 Paris GTG 10/1-10/8?
- 12 Train Travel - Paris to Brussels & Bruges
- 13 Scottish Passport
- 14 Once Again Asking .... This Time Ireland
- 15 California touring rock thrash band, France and Italy
- 16 Italy tours
- 17 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 18 Amsterdam neighborhood to stay for 2 weeks
- 19 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 20 Air France strike
- 21 Spain - looking for a historic town and beach town
- 22 Europe in winter
- 23 Customs & Immigration Necessary at Frankfurt Germany Airport???
- 24 Airbnb scam
- 25 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece