I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 (Frankfurt Airport) Immigration, Luggage & S Bahn at Regional Bahnhoff
- 2 Don't kill me - 88 days in Paris Airbnb?
- 3 House/villa in Italy or France
- 4 Hotel comes back with lower price after booking with booking dot com
- 5 Barcelona, 4 nights which neighborhood?
- 6 Paris Christmas Lights...Crowds?
- 7 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 8 Questions about Flamenco in Madrid
- 9 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 10 Shipping Packages
- 11 Initial Trip Planning - Spain
- 12 The Birthday Celebration in Italy!
- 13 Calm base in Italy, Beginning of October
- 14 Eid al-Adha holiday in Turkey
- 15 URGENT HELP NEEDED: French Rivieria one day
- 16 What cloths to take on a Mediterranean cruise
- 17 Best location to stay in Seville
- 18 Shuttle Service in Paris
- 19 iPHone 6 use in Paris, with ATT?
- 20 Ways to get from Prague to Frankfurt?
- 21 Why Are We NOT Packed Yet? Munich, Verona, Stresa, Edinburgh, and London
- 22 Sagrada Familia Ticket Choices
- 23 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 24 So So Excited for Greece trip!
- 25 Barcelona - senior discounts?