I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain traffic tickets
- 2 Inexpensive spring break in iceland?
- 3 4 Days between Zurich & Avignon...
- 4 Euro Trivia quiz #11 - Know Your Bordering Countries?
- 5 Euro Trivia Quiz #10 - Martin Luther in Germany
- 6 Driving from Paris to Munich
- 7 Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen, Stockholm
- 8 Museums in Berlin
- 9 Austria to Italy by car - best route
- 10 Italy - Transportation from MXP to Rome
- 11 Skiing in France
- 12 Beware of Best and Fast Change
- 13 Looking for help on itinerary for trip to Croatia+
- 14 16 Nights in Canary Islands & Spain
- 15 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 16 Hotel developments Como
- 17 The Newly Reopened Picasso Museum in Paris
- 18 Amsterdam, Germany, Paris in May 2015- coats needed?
- 19 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 20 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 21 Preliminary Italy Plans- September 2015
- 22 Reputable Tours
- 23 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 24 Travelling within schegen while extension is pending
- 25 Different approach to 2-4-1 offers