I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary Advice London and Paris with 2 Adults 2 Children (7 and 8.5)
- 2 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 3 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Dijon?
- 4 Scotland and London 21 days
- 5 Is there a Limit to time spent at Eiffel Tower
- 6 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 7 8-9 day Paris-Amsterdam-Rome
- 8 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 9 Frustrated about Smolensk
- 10 Preliminary Scotland itinerary late September 2017
- 11 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 12 A new species of Homo Sapien??
- 13 Capri in July
- 14 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 15 Stresa (town), Italy - things to do?
- 16 Itinerary help Germany/Austria/Dolomites
- 17 help with Italy itinerary
- 18 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands
- 19 Seeking advice from Tuscany experts
- 20 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 21 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 22 Driving in Portugal with car rented in Spain
- 23 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 24 8 days in Spain.. mostly Barcelona, where else should we go
- 25 Spain or Portugal for a Beach Vacation?