I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Nymphenburg Palace in Munich: how much time to allow?
- 2 Cost comparison b/w Paris and Switzerland(wengen)
- 3 Breakfast by Roman Colosseum Suggestions?
- 4 Reserve train tickets Bern to Wengen if already have BO regional pass?
- 5 Cornwall and Germany
- 6 Edinburgh Questions...
- 7 Thinking of ROME? Really???
- 8 Stockholm+Copenhagen or Amsterdam + Ghent + Brugge in July
- 9 Need Help Planning a 19 day visit to Ireland
- 10 Montpillier Car Rental Return Help
- 11 Your favorite Paris shopping street.
- 12 Holding bags in Paris
- 13 Italy - Sorrento to Rome
- 14 From London to Italy - where to go?
- 15 Trip to France (Provence, Languedoc/Roussillon) - a quick summary
- 16 Fall trip to The Netherlands and Belgium
- 17 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 18 Nonstop from Belfast to ...???
- 19 Help me celebrate my daughter's 10th Birthday in Austria!
- 20 Giverny vs. Versailles
- 21 How to enjoy Paris on a low/moderate budget?
- 22 Planning first trip to Germany, looking for any recommendations!!!
- 23 ICELAND DAY 2 and 3!
- 24 Anyone ever used Northwest Walks or Sherpa for a C2C England hike?
- 25 SIXT car rental uk