I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 2 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 3 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 4 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 5 How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?
- 6 Azores
- 7 tulips in the Netherland
- 8 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 9 England and Scotland
- 10 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 11 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 12 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 13 Air pollution in Paris
- 14 Trains in Italy
- 15 Dublin to Armagh?
- 16 rent phone and 3g wifi
- 17 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 18 Learning Polish: "No, you can't have my cat"
- 19 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 20 A photo report on Reykjavik, Iceland
- 21 Suggestions for Scandinavian Movies, Radio and Music. Can you help?
- 22 Amazon 50% off sale on Rosetta Stone German
- 23 Info requested for Paris, Strasbourg and Berlin
- 24 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...
- 25 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?