I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Early flight from Nice
- 2 How many times have you vacationed in Europe?
- 3 Sarlat-la-Canéda to Toulouse, please, critique driving schedule
- 4 What clothes?
- 5 toulouse - how is driving and parking
- 6 London dining service charge
- 7 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 8 Help with our Provence Itinerary
- 9 ITINERARY-6 WEEKS
- 10 Toulouse Hotels - Grand Hotel de l'Opera versus Le Grand Balcon
- 11 London Paris
- 12 Shopping in Paris
- 13 Lost speeding fine notice
- 14 ATM card didn't work in Italy!
- 15 Hotels in Galway, Ennis? Also Car Rental Suggestions Wanted
- 16 Luggage on trains/security?
- 17 Norwegian air
- 18 Cheap SIM cards for iPhones in Paris
- 19 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 20 Springtime in Luzern (& Rigi, Basel, Zofingen, Rapperswil...)
- 21 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 22 Norwegian natives: Where can I get a Grandiosa Pizza?!
- 23 Portugal/Spain trip--April or June?
- 24 Afternoon Tea @ London
- 25 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so