I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 2 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 3 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 4 30 Days in Europe - 29 y/o male
- 5 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 6 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 7 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 8 Month Itinerary England, France, Germany, Italy does this work?
- 9 Where to stay family of 5 in Rome? Hotel or rental suggestions please!!
- 10 Reims for a day
- 11 Lavender Fields
- 12 Second thoughts about Provence - help!
- 13 Munich
- 14 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 15 Any exciting towns South of Rome, Italy
- 16 accommodation woes - Sicily
- 17 Toulouse and beyond -
- 18 Hotwire zones in Barcelona & London
- 19 Parking Car in Amsterdam - Need Advice
- 20 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 21 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 22 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 23 museum passes in Rome
- 24 Renting a car in Venice and dropping it off in Rome
- 25 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!