I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels and public transport re: Cheltenham Spa
- 2 Itinerary review - Family vacation to Spain
- 3 From Paris to Vaison la romaine
- 4 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 5 England in 7 days
- 6 From Milan Airport to the Last Supper
- 7 So that is why German hotels have such expensive WIFI
- 8 Bavaria and Tirol for 2 weeks in June
- 9 Quiet beach town in Italy?
- 10 Dordogne markets
- 11 Ediburgh lodging - July.
- 12 Best means of travel from Prague to Krakow and Krakow to Budapest
- 13 Dordogne prehistoric sites
- 14 Paris Apt Locations - Your Opinion on Apts
- 15 Planning a trip to the Baltics
- 16 Greece ( 8 Nights)
- 17 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 18 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 19 GuideAdvisor, beware!!
- 20 Destination Benson; help with 2 options, please
- 21 5 PM Opera at La Scala on a Sunday night
- 22 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 23 Rocamaxour
- 24 Food in the 14th arrondissement
- 25 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days