I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Nice? Family of 4.
- 2 If you had a do-over @ Hampton Court Palace..
- 3 Which is better for the summer - Black or Baltic Sea?
- 4 Trip to Italy
- 5 Jeff Steiner interviews Adrian Leeds re Paris short-term rentals.
- 6 Positano to Amalfi in April
- 7 Please help me plan my trip!
- 8 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 9 Copenhagen hotel
- 10 Europe Quiz: Wednesday # 68 - Jews in Europe
- 11 Afternoon Tea in London: Savoy vs. Ritz
- 12 How Well-Traveled Are You?
- 13 Paris Street Market Selling Soaps from Provence
- 14 Heathrow-Bath bus tickets
- 15 Private driver Amalfi Coast
- 16 euro quiz # 69 - All About Parks...
- 17 Rental car and Portugal toll charges
- 18 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 19 4 days in Sorrento, 4 days in Rome--expert advice needed!
- 20 Sorting out my travel Days in Italy
- 21 scotland trave;
- 22 One night in Paris- where to stay?
- 23 Cappadocia Cave hotel suggestion
- 24 3.5 weeks in Europe w/ 10-month old
- 25 Europe in June with 8-year old