I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 2 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 3 Best day trips from Perugia and Umbertide
- 4 3nights in Venice
- 5 Paris in November
- 6 My 3 days in Venice
- 7 multi city flights to europe
- 8 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 9 Travel from Kensington, London to Cambridge
- 10 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 11 One week in Europe
- 12 A bit overwhelmed!!!
- 13 London Theater
- 14 Tracking the Weather
- 15 Planning first Italy Trip!
- 16 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 17 bvlenci Could you answer some q's about le Marche from another poster?
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 My final Prague itinerary
- 20 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 21 10-Day Trip Planned..Need Recommendations
- 22 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 23 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 24 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 25 Car Rentals in Avignon