I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
- 1 Itinerary Questions
- 2 5 days to see Granada - Seville?
- 3 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 4 Prague Main Train Station
- 5 NEW TO FODORS: Suggestions/Advice for 10 days in Europe
- 6 Frankfurt Macarons
- 7 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 8 Manchester UK-good place for a Thanksgiving dinner?
- 9 London 12 day itinerary suggestions needed
- 10 Trieste as a day trip?
- 11 Any stay at first hotel reisen?
- 12 Geneva/Graechen/Milan Driving in February
- 13 The Adriatic? Or Turkey and the Greek Islands?
- 14 Venice in Jan
- 15 Trieste as a day trip?
- 16 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 17 Lucerne & Zurich
- 18 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 19 Trip around Spain
- 20 Lake como
- 21 Getting around in Tuscany
- 22 Rome L. Argentina Ruins - Can they be explored or just viewed from street?
- 23 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 24 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 25 Public transport from Ostuni