I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 2 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 3 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 4 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 5 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 6 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 7 Street food in Turkey
- 8 Spain Questions
- 9 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 10 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 11 Mont St Michel
- 12 feedback on itinerary to france and switzerland
- 13 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 14 Renting a car in Ireland - pick up/off at Dublin airport or city center?
- 15 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 16 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 17 Dublin Hostels
- 18 Avignon to London?
- 19 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 20 Transportation from Peisey Vallandry to Paris
- 21 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 22 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 23 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 24 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 25 Need Advice for my first family to Europe