I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Italy
- 2 Three days in Athens
- 3 Favorite eateries in the Balkan States
- 4 Another Visit to London
- 5 Where can I get pre-euro banknotes?
- 6 Lucca to Florence with side trips
- 7 transfer from Eurostar to London hotel
- 8 Europe in Two Weeks, what is possible?
- 9 Five City European Vacation thru Groupon
- 10 Suggestions for 6 days in Central Europe (Hungary/around there)
- 11 Walking stylish sandals/flats
- 12 Two days in Switzerland or Lake Como Italy
- 13 5 Days in Provence
- 14 3 days Venice to Paris
- 15 A 3rd destination to add to trip
- 16 Transportation from Gothenburg airport to the Center
- 17 Anyone travel with to Europe with ISE when they were in college?
- 18 Forints or Euros?
- 19 Paris 5 Day itinerary - Suggestions plz
- 20 Not-so-Expensive Restaurants in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo
- 21 Help-1st time solo travel in Basel and Amsterdam
- 22 Bus fine Italy
- 23 Another question about the rouble.
- 24 Scenic Tuscan Restaurant for a Group
- 25 Britain Itinerary Suggestions