I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advices about our itiniary
- 2 small Paris hotel 6 or 7 Arr
- 3 Amsterdam - Germanyin mid April
- 4 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 5 Paris Under Seige...
- 6 Lisbon Portugal to Madrid Spain in January
- 7 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 8 Poll: Most loved smaller European cities & towns (under 500,000 pop.)
- 9 Summer Language Programs in Germany
- 10 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?
- 11 First Day: Cashel or Kilkenny?
- 12 Quickest and cheapest way to get to Marco Polo from Mogliano Veneto?
- 13 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 14 Stroller in Europe
- 15 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 16 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 17 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 18 Best company/Tour for one day Amalfi Coast from Rome
- 19 Car rental leaving Rome
- 20 NEED HELP PLANNING SPAIN ITINERARY
- 21 Why Not Helsinki?
- 22 Pre-Booking Train Tickets
- 23 Rome to Todi on a Sunday - public transport help please
- 24 Transportation from Malpensa to Stresa
- 25 Suggestions for base in the Var