I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice for Ireland Trip (6 days)
- 2 3 days to spend in europe
- 3 Why doesn't anyone talk about staying in the 2nd arr in Paris? Am I blind?
- 4 What Greek islands should I visit
- 5 cell phone companys
- 6 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 7 Budget stay in or around Heidelberg
- 8 French lavender and cottages
- 9 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 10 Ideas for travel (hiking) in Northern Italy
- 11 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 12 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 13 Positano - Sorrento Travel Questions
- 14 Dublin Hotel Advice & Construction
- 15 Beaches in Southern France
- 16 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 17 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 18 Brixen/ Bressanone: ideas for a few days?
- 19 Swinoujscie Ferry Arrival
- 20 Travel between Paris, Normandy and Brugges
- 21 Travel to Karlsrhue
- 22 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 23 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 24 Amalfi Coast or the Lakes and where to fit in France?
- 25 Affordable French language course in France?