I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Modica or Noto? So difficult to decide!
- 2 NY Times goes to Sicily!
- 3 The Great Grotte Question: Clamouse or Demoiselles
- 4 Portugal, What did you love there ?
- 5 21 nights in England, please help
- 6 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 7 Euro 2016 Football championship
- 8 Amalfi October 16-25
- 9 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 10 Help with Italy Itinerary: October 2016
- 11 Trip report European honeymoon
- 12 Ireland-3 Weeks, 3 Bases
- 13 How would you piece these together?Piedmont,Tuscany, Bologna, Umbria
- 14 Sentimental Journey
- 15 Living on € 2500 monthly
- 16 Need advice on Greek islands
- 17 Advice on Bethnal Green, Shoreditch area London
- 18 First Trip to Europe, HELP
- 19 Paris to the Past, by Ina Caro
- 20 Where can I buy a gounded plug adapter for Switzerland?
- 21 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 22 Florence and Rome
- 23 10 Day Trip to Prague, Salzburg, Munich
- 24 London vacation, 1st time in UK
- 25 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.