I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Confusing Care rental in Italy Continued . . . Locauto?
- 2 Locauto Yes or No? or Europcar in Pisa
- 3 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 4 Review of 4.5 days in London
- 5 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 6 The new Vuitton Foundation Museum in Paris
- 7 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 8 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 9 Best Car Rental company in Italy?
- 10 Budgeting - how long can I last!
- 11 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep
- 12 Krakow or Warsaw?
- 13 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 14 3 weeks in France starting in burgundy
- 15 50yo sf. Barcelona at night...?
- 16 Barcelona/Andalucia
- 17 best transfer from Paris CDG to Paris hotel St Germain
- 18 Ireland or Scotland
- 19 I dream of Europe
- 20 Have you ever stayed in Praiano?
- 21 Visiting Mostar, Bosnia and Kotor, Montenegro from Croatia
- 22 Verona/Vicenza/Trieste--Best Place to Pick up Rental Car for Croatia
- 23 Last minute trip in Europe 25th Oct - 2nd Nov, interested in joining?
- 24 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 25 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014