I'm trying to plan a trip to the United Kingdom and Ireland during the summer. Originally I tried to include Iceland as well, but after some research, much to my disappointment, I think that country deserves its own fair share of time. I've traveled to several countries before, such as Ukraine and Russia, and have managed solo in places like China for nearly a month flying from city to city and so forth, so I do have some travel experience and don't mind feeling rushed moving quickly. I just wanted to get some feedback from those who have been to the UK and Ireland to see if my first draft of a trip itinerary seems feasible. I know it's a lot. The trip duration below is the maximum window I can allow. I plan to stay mostly at youth hostels (good ones) and B&B's rather than hotels to minimize costs. The reason I spend so much time around Manchester/Leeds in the trip is to meet up with a friend who will likely join me for the rest of the trip into Scotland and Ireland. Also, anyone know if there is a young driver's fee for renting a car in the UK and/or Ireland? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!
- Fly to London, arrive late afternoon/early evening.
- Spend the day in London.
- Spend the day in London. Rent car.
- Leave London early, drive to Bath, stopping at Avebury, Salisbury (Stonehenge), and Wells. Arrive at Bath and spend the late afternoon/evening there.
- Spend the day in Bath.
- Leave Bath early, drive to Chipping Campden, stopping at Tintern Abbey. Arrive at Chipping Campden and spend late afternoon there.
- Leave Chipping Campden, drive to Stratford-upon-Avon. Arrive at Stratford-upon-Avon and spend rest of day there.
- Leave Stratford-upon-Avon, drive to Conwy, stopping quickly at Ironbridge Gorge. Arrive at Conwy and spend afternoon there.
- Spend day in/near Conwy.
- Leave early for day trip to Snowdonia and return to Conwy.
- Leave Conwy, drive to Manchester, stopping quickly at Liverpool. Arrive at Manchester and spend late afternoon there.
- Leave Manchester, drive to Leeds. Arrive at Leeds and stay with host family.
- Leave Leeds, drive to York. Arrive at York and spend afternoon there.
- Leave York, drive to Keswick. Arrive at Keswick and spend late afternoon there.
- Leave Keswick, drive to Durham. Arrive at Durham and spend afternoon there.
- Spend day at Durham and Hadrian's Wall.
- Leave Durham early and drive to Edinburgh. Arrive at Edinburgh. Return car.
- Spend day at Edinburgh.
- Take morning train from Edinburgh to Inverness. Arrive at Inverness and spend afternoon there. Rent car.
- Leave Inverness early, drive to Oban through the Highlands, detouring at the Isle of Skye and stopping quickly at Glencoe. Arrive at Oban late.
- Leave Oban and fly to Belfast. Spend remaining day in Belfast. Rent car.
- Day trip to Giant's Causeway and Antrim Coast. Return to Belfast. Return car.
- Leave Belfast and fly to Dublin. Spend remaining day in Dublin. Rent car.
- Leave Dublin and drive to Kilkenny, stopping at the Valley of the Boyne and Glendalough. Spend night at Kilkenny.
- Leave Kilkenny early and drive to Killarney, stopping at the Rock of Cashel and Blarney. Spend night at Killarney.
- Leave Killarney very early and drive to Galway, taking the Ring of Kerry and stopping at/near Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher. Spend night in Galway.
- Take early trip to the Aran Islands, return to Galway. Return car. Fly to Dublin. Fly home.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 2 A week all around Sicily - May 2017
- 3 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 4 Cash in Greece ATMs
- 5 Visiting the Dordogne/Lot
- 6 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 7 Scotland - We're Here!
- 8 Paris for children
- 9 IWM
- 10 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 11 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 12 Guided Vatican Tours
- 13 Avoid Europcar!
- 14 Apartment/accomodation in Dubrovnik and Split
- 15 Anyone travel with to Europe with ISE when they were in college?
- 16 Couscous
- 17 Best Masseria in Puglia
- 18 Train / Calabria
- 19 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 20 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 21 London in Winter Report
- 22 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 23 16 days in France and Italy
- 24 Do I need a Swiss rail pass?
- 25 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
3+ weeks in the United Kingdom and Ireland Trip Itinerary?