My husband and I unexpectedly have 3 weeks off in June and are trying to choose a vacation destination. We never have this much time off at once, so we want to choose wisely and do a trip that we wouldn't be able to do in 1-2 weeks. We like history/culture/food/nature/sightseeing and walking around. We do NOT like lying around on a beach or shopping. Right now the top contenders are:
a) Scandinavia - but worried it may be cold/rainy and there's not enough to do for 3 weeks?
b) Greece/Turkey/maybe south of Italy - but worried it may be too hot. My husband is also worried that he can only take so many ruins before they all start to blend together (I can't imagine getting tired of ruins myself, but I understand his point).
Would love to hear your thoughts on the above destinations or any other (non-US) suggestions! We started off considering non-Europe trips, but discovered that for China, Australia, Southeast Asia, and much of South America, the weather isn't good to travel. We don't want to go somewhere where we'll be miserably hot or cold!
We've already traveled throughout Spain pretty extensively, have also been to the big European capitals (Paris, Rome, Berlin). Also did an Ireland roadtrip, 2 weeks in Austria/Czech Republic, and 2 weeks in Russia. This is why we are between options A & B above.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which 2 locations on Amalfi Coast?
- 2 One free day in Barcelona
- 3 Day trip outside of Dublin
- 4 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 5 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 6 Greek Village
- 7 Ideas for weekend trips from Aachen
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 9 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 10 Sicily help
- 11 PARIS
- 12 Athens Help
- 13 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 14 "Too Much Cows"
- 15 Bordeaux to Nice
- 16 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 17 Thinking about the Fjords
- 18 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 19 Rome -- The next time around
- 20 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 21 Bordeaux: north side parking, then public transport to the center?
- 22 Rome to Venice
- 23 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 24 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 25 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?