Dear fellow Fodors...
Family of 5 (2 adults and 3 young people - 16, 13 & 11) flying into Zagreb 22nd July and out of Split 11th August.
We have a skippered yatch booked out of Trogir between 30th July and 6th August (unanimously recommended by 3 travelling friends) for a family celebration (birthday and wedding anniversary) otherwise our time is fairly flexible...and the budget is quite tight!
My thoughts so far are:
22 Arrive Zagreb (lunchtime) - stay 2 nights - thoughts on what to do/where to go & if we need a car or can bus or train...I read somewhere about a thermal spa...also, which museum for a teenager size bit of culture?
24 Depart Zagreb for Plitvice Lakes - bus or car? Any suggestions on where to stay at the Lakes? I heard that a full day at the lakes was the best idea walking lower to higher lakes and possibly including a boat trip?
25 Depart Plitvice Lakes (pm) for stay in Zadar (possibly 2 nights?)
27 Day and overnight stay in Kakr national park?
28 Trip to Trogir (meet family arriving at Split airport and stay in Trogir night of 28th and 29th)
30 embark yatch for week of island sailing (itinerary suggestions welcome - we will have the option to plan our own route (with skippers guidance) so please shout if you know of any must see spots
06 Aug leave yatch early Saturday morning...plan to head to Split by ferry from Slatine (Čiovo) (does this seem sensible?) stay near ferry catamaran terminal in Split.
07 Aug catamaran from Split to Dubrovnik
07 Aug stay Dubrovnik 2 nights - city wall walk, cable car ride and sunset kayak trips are all being considered - do you have any other suggestions?
09 Aug Ferry or bus from Dubrovnik back towards Split (any preference? should we be worried about excessively busy roads in August?)
09/10 Aug where should be stay for final couple of nights - it'd be nice to be in a villa/apartment with a pool - need to get to the airport for 15:55 flight out of Split (Trogir) on the 11th August.
Have I overlooked any hidden gems or does any of the itinerary look a little weird?
Really appreciate any advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 2 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 3 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 4 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 5 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 6 One night in the Dolomites
- 7 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 8 Anyone stay at Homeaway: Villa Iride in Praiano, Amalfi Coast?
- 9 Getting to Eilean Donan Castle
- 10 Airport Transit Visa
- 11 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 12 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 13 Where in Greece
- 14 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 15 Cap Ferrat, Antibe, Luberon?
- 16 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 17 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 18 Visiting Positano and Amalfi
- 19 Vatican tour
- 20 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 21 Day in Capri
- 22 alcazar question and seville advice
- 23 TSA Precheck
- 24 Roma...any ideas for exploration?
- 25 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
Dear fellow Fodors...