This may be a frequently asked question on this website. In fact, I found a topic or two along the lines of this discussion. However, I was really hoping for a more personalized answer from some Fodor's members!
I am about to graduate college and I start my first job on January 20th. I haven't had the chance to travel abroad yet (partly my fault, partly financial). I was hoping to do either a 3 week, or 1 month backpacking trip. I have to go because I feel if I don't go now, I won't go ever.
I have family in Paris, in which I was planning on visiting first OR on NYE (so I don't spend NYE alone). I would like to visit Berlin, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Florence (and of course, Paris). Those are my top destinations.
I will be traveling in the winter time and yes, I realize it will be cold. Trust me, I would much rather have the option of traveling in the Spring or Summer. But I will be slaving away in the corporate life for at LEAST two years.
Things I would really like to have the answer to:
1.) I understand hostels are cheap. Everyone I've talked to that has had traveling experience in Europe recommend hostels. Can someone give me a personal opinion on hostels? Are they safe, do you split rooms, are they really THAT much cheaper? Would I be better off on finding cheap hotels?
2.) Train or Airplane: I'm traveling on a budget. I need the cheapest form of transportation. Given my destinations, would train or plane be more efficient? I'm willing to toss out a little more cash if it means I get 8 extra hours backpack time.
3.) Are my destinations too far-fetched? Will I have time to do a little sight-seeing, visiting a few bars, eat at a few cafes, and still get a decent trip out of it? Or, should I consolidate my city choices and spend more time in the places I visit?
4.) I'm backpacking by myself. I don't know anyone who wants to shell out the cash for a 3-4 week stay in Europe. Anyone have any advice for backpacking by yourself? I would REALLY appreciate any.
5.) I'll be traveling with about $13-14,000 in my bank. I don't plan on blowing all of it on a 3-4 week trip. Can anyone estimate a budget that would allow me to backpack a little more comfortable than a homeless person?
I would really appreciate ANY answers. Thank you so much for reading this.
3 Week - 1 Month Backpack Trip in Europe. Help?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 2 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 3 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 4 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 5 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 6 9 days in turkey
- 7 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 8 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 9 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 10 Benefits of Living in an HOA Community of the Cindy Shearin Group
- 11 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 12 Nice Video about Poland
- 13 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 14 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 15 5 days in Europe: Budapest/Berlin or Copenhagen/Talinn or something else?
- 16 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 17 France/Italy Itinerary Check
- 18 Estonia Amber
- 19 Villages to stay in Germany close to trains
- 20 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 21 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?
- 22 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 23 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 24 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013
- 25 Hair Straightener for Europe!