This may be a frequently asked question on this website. In fact, I found a topic or two along the lines of this discussion. However, I was really hoping for a more personalized answer from some Fodor's members!
I am about to graduate college and I start my first job on January 20th. I haven't had the chance to travel abroad yet (partly my fault, partly financial). I was hoping to do either a 3 week, or 1 month backpacking trip. I have to go because I feel if I don't go now, I won't go ever.
I have family in Paris, in which I was planning on visiting first OR on NYE (so I don't spend NYE alone). I would like to visit Berlin, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Florence (and of course, Paris). Those are my top destinations.
I will be traveling in the winter time and yes, I realize it will be cold. Trust me, I would much rather have the option of traveling in the Spring or Summer. But I will be slaving away in the corporate life for at LEAST two years.
Things I would really like to have the answer to:
1.) I understand hostels are cheap. Everyone I've talked to that has had traveling experience in Europe recommend hostels. Can someone give me a personal opinion on hostels? Are they safe, do you split rooms, are they really THAT much cheaper? Would I be better off on finding cheap hotels?
2.) Train or Airplane: I'm traveling on a budget. I need the cheapest form of transportation. Given my destinations, would train or plane be more efficient? I'm willing to toss out a little more cash if it means I get 8 extra hours backpack time.
3.) Are my destinations too far-fetched? Will I have time to do a little sight-seeing, visiting a few bars, eat at a few cafes, and still get a decent trip out of it? Or, should I consolidate my city choices and spend more time in the places I visit?
4.) I'm backpacking by myself. I don't know anyone who wants to shell out the cash for a 3-4 week stay in Europe. Anyone have any advice for backpacking by yourself? I would REALLY appreciate any.
5.) I'll be traveling with about $13-14,000 in my bank. I don't plan on blowing all of it on a 3-4 week trip. Can anyone estimate a budget that would allow me to backpack a little more comfortable than a homeless person?
I would really appreciate ANY answers. Thank you so much for reading this.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Salzburg itinerary review
- 2 Salzburg-storing luggage at train station
- 3 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 4 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 5 Italy - 21 Day Itinerary for May, 2018
- 6 Globus Iberian Tour
- 7 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 8 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 9 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 10 A bit overwhelmed!!!
- 11 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 12 NOTICE: Disruption on the railway line Mannheim-Basel
- 13 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 14 UK in May and June
- 15 Spain: train/rental car help
- 16 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 17 good restaurants in Budapest
- 18 London GTG - early Oct are you available?
- 19 Best coffeeshop in Amsterdam for a noob?
- 20 Wales
- 21 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 22 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 23 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 24 Request Hotel Suggestion in London
- 25 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!