This may be a frequently asked question on this website. In fact, I found a topic or two along the lines of this discussion. However, I was really hoping for a more personalized answer from some Fodor's members!
I am about to graduate college and I start my first job on January 20th. I haven't had the chance to travel abroad yet (partly my fault, partly financial). I was hoping to do either a 3 week, or 1 month backpacking trip. I have to go because I feel if I don't go now, I won't go ever.
I have family in Paris, in which I was planning on visiting first OR on NYE (so I don't spend NYE alone). I would like to visit Berlin, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Florence (and of course, Paris). Those are my top destinations.
I will be traveling in the winter time and yes, I realize it will be cold. Trust me, I would much rather have the option of traveling in the Spring or Summer. But I will be slaving away in the corporate life for at LEAST two years.
Things I would really like to have the answer to:
1.) I understand hostels are cheap. Everyone I've talked to that has had traveling experience in Europe recommend hostels. Can someone give me a personal opinion on hostels? Are they safe, do you split rooms, are they really THAT much cheaper? Would I be better off on finding cheap hotels?
2.) Train or Airplane: I'm traveling on a budget. I need the cheapest form of transportation. Given my destinations, would train or plane be more efficient? I'm willing to toss out a little more cash if it means I get 8 extra hours backpack time.
3.) Are my destinations too far-fetched? Will I have time to do a little sight-seeing, visiting a few bars, eat at a few cafes, and still get a decent trip out of it? Or, should I consolidate my city choices and spend more time in the places I visit?
4.) I'm backpacking by myself. I don't know anyone who wants to shell out the cash for a 3-4 week stay in Europe. Anyone have any advice for backpacking by yourself? I would REALLY appreciate any.
5.) I'll be traveling with about $13-14,000 in my bank. I don't plan on blowing all of it on a 3-4 week trip. Can anyone estimate a budget that would allow me to backpack a little more comfortable than a homeless person?
I would really appreciate ANY answers. Thank you so much for reading this.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 2 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 3 Getting to Eilean Donan Castle
- 4 Cap Ferrat, Antibe, Luberon?
- 5 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 6 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 7 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 8 Visiting Positano and Amalfi
- 9 Vatican tour
- 10 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 11 Day in Capri
- 12 alcazar question and seville advice
- 13 TSA Precheck
- 14 Roma...any ideas for exploration?
- 15 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 16 First visit to London
- 17 Paris travel help
- 18 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 19 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 20 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 21 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 22 Rome hotel
- 23 Villa in Italy
- 24 Mobile wifi for Europe travel
- 25 Help me make this possible!