This may be a frequently asked question on this website. In fact, I found a topic or two along the lines of this discussion. However, I was really hoping for a more personalized answer from some Fodor's members!
I am about to graduate college and I start my first job on January 20th. I haven't had the chance to travel abroad yet (partly my fault, partly financial). I was hoping to do either a 3 week, or 1 month backpacking trip. I have to go because I feel if I don't go now, I won't go ever.
I have family in Paris, in which I was planning on visiting first OR on NYE (so I don't spend NYE alone). I would like to visit Berlin, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Florence (and of course, Paris). Those are my top destinations.
I will be traveling in the winter time and yes, I realize it will be cold. Trust me, I would much rather have the option of traveling in the Spring or Summer. But I will be slaving away in the corporate life for at LEAST two years.
Things I would really like to have the answer to:
1.) I understand hostels are cheap. Everyone I've talked to that has had traveling experience in Europe recommend hostels. Can someone give me a personal opinion on hostels? Are they safe, do you split rooms, are they really THAT much cheaper? Would I be better off on finding cheap hotels?
2.) Train or Airplane: I'm traveling on a budget. I need the cheapest form of transportation. Given my destinations, would train or plane be more efficient? I'm willing to toss out a little more cash if it means I get 8 extra hours backpack time.
3.) Are my destinations too far-fetched? Will I have time to do a little sight-seeing, visiting a few bars, eat at a few cafes, and still get a decent trip out of it? Or, should I consolidate my city choices and spend more time in the places I visit?
4.) I'm backpacking by myself. I don't know anyone who wants to shell out the cash for a 3-4 week stay in Europe. Anyone have any advice for backpacking by yourself? I would REALLY appreciate any.
5.) I'll be traveling with about $13-14,000 in my bank. I don't plan on blowing all of it on a 3-4 week trip. Can anyone estimate a budget that would allow me to backpack a little more comfortable than a homeless person?
I would really appreciate ANY answers. Thank you so much for reading this.
3 Week - 1 Month Backpack Trip in Europe. Help?
- 1 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 2 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 3 Chambermaid tipping
- 4 Trulli Foodie Puglia-two weeks to eat through!!!
- 5 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 6 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 7 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 8 Taxi Availability from Bus Station
- 9 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 10 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 11 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 12 Apartments in Rome
- 13 Is there a Morning Ferry from Mykonos to Paros in late May on a Friday?
- 14 Which travel plan?
- 15 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 16 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 17 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 18 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 19 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 20 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 21 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 22 London for Christmas
- 23 To Paris and Provence in June
- 24 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 25 Home from Rome - a trip report