This may be a frequently asked question on this website. In fact, I found a topic or two along the lines of this discussion. However, I was really hoping for a more personalized answer from some Fodor's members!
I am about to graduate college and I start my first job on January 20th. I haven't had the chance to travel abroad yet (partly my fault, partly financial). I was hoping to do either a 3 week, or 1 month backpacking trip. I have to go because I feel if I don't go now, I won't go ever.
I have family in Paris, in which I was planning on visiting first OR on NYE (so I don't spend NYE alone). I would like to visit Berlin, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Florence (and of course, Paris). Those are my top destinations.
I will be traveling in the winter time and yes, I realize it will be cold. Trust me, I would much rather have the option of traveling in the Spring or Summer. But I will be slaving away in the corporate life for at LEAST two years.
Things I would really like to have the answer to:
1.) I understand hostels are cheap. Everyone I've talked to that has had traveling experience in Europe recommend hostels. Can someone give me a personal opinion on hostels? Are they safe, do you split rooms, are they really THAT much cheaper? Would I be better off on finding cheap hotels?
2.) Train or Airplane: I'm traveling on a budget. I need the cheapest form of transportation. Given my destinations, would train or plane be more efficient? I'm willing to toss out a little more cash if it means I get 8 extra hours backpack time.
3.) Are my destinations too far-fetched? Will I have time to do a little sight-seeing, visiting a few bars, eat at a few cafes, and still get a decent trip out of it? Or, should I consolidate my city choices and spend more time in the places I visit?
4.) I'm backpacking by myself. I don't know anyone who wants to shell out the cash for a 3-4 week stay in Europe. Anyone have any advice for backpacking by yourself? I would REALLY appreciate any.
5.) I'll be traveling with about $13-14,000 in my bank. I don't plan on blowing all of it on a 3-4 week trip. Can anyone estimate a budget that would allow me to backpack a little more comfortable than a homeless person?
I would really appreciate ANY answers. Thank you so much for reading this.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Age limit for car rental?
- 2 What is the French job 'Rectifieur (ouvrier)'?
- 3 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 4 Nothern versus Southern region of Spain
- 5 need help in our travel plan to Europe
- 6 Need help for itineray for Paris, Monaco, Rome, Florence 12 -14 days
- 7 Where to sleep in Manchester?
- 8 Germany "Riddled with Crime"?
- 9 Trains through Germany
- 10 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 11 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 12 Cell Phone Data in Multiple Countries
- 13 Do we need a car?
- 14 Advice about Naples?
- 15 Paris -?- Rome
- 16 Lavender country Provence hotel
- 17 What clothes?
- 18 Airport Transfer Vienna
- 19 When neurotic people plan vacations
- 20 Switzerland/Italian Lakes Itinerary Help
- 21 ITINERARY-6 WEEKS
- 22 itinerary Help? 2 weeks in Scandinavia
- 23 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 24 tipping
- 25 Europe Backpacking Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated!