This may be a frequently asked question on this website. In fact, I found a topic or two along the lines of this discussion. However, I was really hoping for a more personalized answer from some Fodor's members!
I am about to graduate college and I start my first job on January 20th. I haven't had the chance to travel abroad yet (partly my fault, partly financial). I was hoping to do either a 3 week, or 1 month backpacking trip. I have to go because I feel if I don't go now, I won't go ever.
I have family in Paris, in which I was planning on visiting first OR on NYE (so I don't spend NYE alone). I would like to visit Berlin, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Florence (and of course, Paris). Those are my top destinations.
I will be traveling in the winter time and yes, I realize it will be cold. Trust me, I would much rather have the option of traveling in the Spring or Summer. But I will be slaving away in the corporate life for at LEAST two years.
Things I would really like to have the answer to:
1.) I understand hostels are cheap. Everyone I've talked to that has had traveling experience in Europe recommend hostels. Can someone give me a personal opinion on hostels? Are they safe, do you split rooms, are they really THAT much cheaper? Would I be better off on finding cheap hotels?
2.) Train or Airplane: I'm traveling on a budget. I need the cheapest form of transportation. Given my destinations, would train or plane be more efficient? I'm willing to toss out a little more cash if it means I get 8 extra hours backpack time.
3.) Are my destinations too far-fetched? Will I have time to do a little sight-seeing, visiting a few bars, eat at a few cafes, and still get a decent trip out of it? Or, should I consolidate my city choices and spend more time in the places I visit?
4.) I'm backpacking by myself. I don't know anyone who wants to shell out the cash for a 3-4 week stay in Europe. Anyone have any advice for backpacking by yourself? I would REALLY appreciate any.
5.) I'll be traveling with about $13-14,000 in my bank. I don't plan on blowing all of it on a 3-4 week trip. Can anyone estimate a budget that would allow me to backpack a little more comfortable than a homeless person?
I would really appreciate ANY answers. Thank you so much for reading this.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Colosseum, roman forum and palatine ticket and tour
- 2 Bead Tours in Jablonec?
- 3 What Greek islands should I visit
- 4 Which European country to visit in November? Spain/Italy/France?
- 5 baltic capitals
- 6 Puffins! No luck. So, where and when did you see them?
- 7 Major quake in central Itay
- 8 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 9 One quick week -- where in France?
- 10 Brugge or Ghent?
- 11 http://www.newhealthprograms.com/neuphoric-skin
- 12 Stockholm & Copenhagen - 7 Nights early Sep
- 13 suggestions needed: Seville--> Cadiz/Conil/...
- 14 3 days with a Swindon base
- 15 Italy - Car Rental - CDW's and Insurance
- 16 Local markets in Italy
- 17 http://www.muscle4power.com/jack-hammer-xl-reviews/
- 18 part to half has been Georgia residence
- 19 http://glycematefacts.com/thunder-rock-male-enhancement-scam/
- 20 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 21 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 22 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 23 http://isscamreview.com/tanaka-cargill-group-scam/
- 24 Milan to Zurich - stops & stayovers
- 25 Sicily transportation