This may be a frequently asked question on this website. In fact, I found a topic or two along the lines of this discussion. However, I was really hoping for a more personalized answer from some Fodor's members!
I am about to graduate college and I start my first job on January 20th. I haven't had the chance to travel abroad yet (partly my fault, partly financial). I was hoping to do either a 3 week, or 1 month backpacking trip. I have to go because I feel if I don't go now, I won't go ever.
I have family in Paris, in which I was planning on visiting first OR on NYE (so I don't spend NYE alone). I would like to visit Berlin, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Florence (and of course, Paris). Those are my top destinations.
I will be traveling in the winter time and yes, I realize it will be cold. Trust me, I would much rather have the option of traveling in the Spring or Summer. But I will be slaving away in the corporate life for at LEAST two years.
Things I would really like to have the answer to:
1.) I understand hostels are cheap. Everyone I've talked to that has had traveling experience in Europe recommend hostels. Can someone give me a personal opinion on hostels? Are they safe, do you split rooms, are they really THAT much cheaper? Would I be better off on finding cheap hotels?
2.) Train or Airplane: I'm traveling on a budget. I need the cheapest form of transportation. Given my destinations, would train or plane be more efficient? I'm willing to toss out a little more cash if it means I get 8 extra hours backpack time.
3.) Are my destinations too far-fetched? Will I have time to do a little sight-seeing, visiting a few bars, eat at a few cafes, and still get a decent trip out of it? Or, should I consolidate my city choices and spend more time in the places I visit?
4.) I'm backpacking by myself. I don't know anyone who wants to shell out the cash for a 3-4 week stay in Europe. Anyone have any advice for backpacking by yourself? I would REALLY appreciate any.
5.) I'll be traveling with about $13-14,000 in my bank. I don't plan on blowing all of it on a 3-4 week trip. Can anyone estimate a budget that would allow me to backpack a little more comfortable than a homeless person?
I would really appreciate ANY answers. Thank you so much for reading this.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 HP Printer Installation/Set-up CONTACT 1:800:681:7208 HP Tech SUPPORT Care
- 2 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 3 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 4 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 5 Hiking in Switzerland
- 6 Need advice on the place to visit in Prague
- 7 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 8 Looking for an apartment to rent. Better than hotel?
- 9 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 10 Notes on our Edinburgh trip (end of May 2017)
- 11 Belfast leading up to July 12
- 12 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 13 Edinbrugh
- 14 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 15 Maximizing Norway time
- 16 TR-Croatia and Italy. A bit long but it's all here in one post.
- 17 TravelCard vs Oyster
- 18 Best layover option
- 19 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 20 Spanish Civil War Tour in Barcelona
- 21 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 22 Berlin
- 23 Ideas for drive from Munich to Ramstein/Kaiserslautern to Garmisch
- 24 Scotland: North West Highlands: July 2012
- 25 3 days solo in London