This may be a frequently asked question on this website. In fact, I found a topic or two along the lines of this discussion. However, I was really hoping for a more personalized answer from some Fodor's members!
I am about to graduate college and I start my first job on January 20th. I haven't had the chance to travel abroad yet (partly my fault, partly financial). I was hoping to do either a 3 week, or 1 month backpacking trip. I have to go because I feel if I don't go now, I won't go ever.
I have family in Paris, in which I was planning on visiting first OR on NYE (so I don't spend NYE alone). I would like to visit Berlin, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Florence (and of course, Paris). Those are my top destinations.
I will be traveling in the winter time and yes, I realize it will be cold. Trust me, I would much rather have the option of traveling in the Spring or Summer. But I will be slaving away in the corporate life for at LEAST two years.
Things I would really like to have the answer to:
1.) I understand hostels are cheap. Everyone I've talked to that has had traveling experience in Europe recommend hostels. Can someone give me a personal opinion on hostels? Are they safe, do you split rooms, are they really THAT much cheaper? Would I be better off on finding cheap hotels?
2.) Train or Airplane: I'm traveling on a budget. I need the cheapest form of transportation. Given my destinations, would train or plane be more efficient? I'm willing to toss out a little more cash if it means I get 8 extra hours backpack time.
3.) Are my destinations too far-fetched? Will I have time to do a little sight-seeing, visiting a few bars, eat at a few cafes, and still get a decent trip out of it? Or, should I consolidate my city choices and spend more time in the places I visit?
4.) I'm backpacking by myself. I don't know anyone who wants to shell out the cash for a 3-4 week stay in Europe. Anyone have any advice for backpacking by yourself? I would REALLY appreciate any.
5.) I'll be traveling with about $13-14,000 in my bank. I don't plan on blowing all of it on a 3-4 week trip. Can anyone estimate a budget that would allow me to backpack a little more comfortable than a homeless person?
I would really appreciate ANY answers. Thank you so much for reading this.
3 Week - 1 Month Backpack Trip in Europe. Help?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trip from Barcelona? Single female
- 2 Need suggestions for Sienna and Orvieto
- 3 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 4 2 full days in Paris
- 5 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 6 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 7 Terrorism in Europe
- 8 Flight into London out Frankfurt (stop Paris, Amsterdam Prague)?
- 9 Leaving for Paris in three weeks, what are the must "book ahead" sights?
- 10 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 11 Bamberg and Environs - 9 nights
- 12 Advice for 6 nights 7 Days in Switzerland
- 13 Barcelona at night? Single female...
- 14 Peggy does Deutschland...
- 15 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 16 20 year-old female planning solo Europe trip -- advice??
- 17 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 18 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia
- 19 Cinque Terre v Tuscany
- 20 Planning a trip to Northern Italy/Lake Como
- 21 Greece - Sailing in Santorini
- 22 Hiking the Gap of Dunloe
- 23 Wernigerode and The Harz - Where to base oneself?
- 24 Poland (Krakow)/ Prague from Leipzig
- 25 Hotel in Lake Garda or Desenzano del Gard