This may be a frequently asked question on this website. In fact, I found a topic or two along the lines of this discussion. However, I was really hoping for a more personalized answer from some Fodor's members!
I am about to graduate college and I start my first job on January 20th. I haven't had the chance to travel abroad yet (partly my fault, partly financial). I was hoping to do either a 3 week, or 1 month backpacking trip. I have to go because I feel if I don't go now, I won't go ever.
I have family in Paris, in which I was planning on visiting first OR on NYE (so I don't spend NYE alone). I would like to visit Berlin, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Florence (and of course, Paris). Those are my top destinations.
I will be traveling in the winter time and yes, I realize it will be cold. Trust me, I would much rather have the option of traveling in the Spring or Summer. But I will be slaving away in the corporate life for at LEAST two years.
Things I would really like to have the answer to:
1.) I understand hostels are cheap. Everyone I've talked to that has had traveling experience in Europe recommend hostels. Can someone give me a personal opinion on hostels? Are they safe, do you split rooms, are they really THAT much cheaper? Would I be better off on finding cheap hotels?
2.) Train or Airplane: I'm traveling on a budget. I need the cheapest form of transportation. Given my destinations, would train or plane be more efficient? I'm willing to toss out a little more cash if it means I get 8 extra hours backpack time.
3.) Are my destinations too far-fetched? Will I have time to do a little sight-seeing, visiting a few bars, eat at a few cafes, and still get a decent trip out of it? Or, should I consolidate my city choices and spend more time in the places I visit?
4.) I'm backpacking by myself. I don't know anyone who wants to shell out the cash for a 3-4 week stay in Europe. Anyone have any advice for backpacking by yourself? I would REALLY appreciate any.
5.) I'll be traveling with about $13-14,000 in my bank. I don't plan on blowing all of it on a 3-4 week trip. Can anyone estimate a budget that would allow me to backpack a little more comfortable than a homeless person?
I would really appreciate ANY answers. Thank you so much for reading this.
3 Week - 1 Month Backpack Trip in Europe. Help?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 2 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 3 Europe in 21 days
- 4 Hotel in Venice
- 5 Day trip from London to Paris
- 6 Day trips
- 7 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 8 Paris Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe
- 9 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 10 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 11 How to change college, after obtaining French visa?
- 12 A drive in Europe
- 13 Where can I find a driver for a day around Paris?
- 14 please help with itinerary in sicily
- 15 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 16 Honeymoon Destinations for December 2014
- 17 nearby cities to london
- 18 Honeymoon Villa rental - Santorini or Mykonos
- 19 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 20 Hotel or Apartment Hotel for 2 adults + 2 children (7 and 12)
- 21 Swiss rail passes
- 22 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 23 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 24 Discover Greece On Line (Video + Stills)
- 25 Augsburg with kids