Our 3-week trip to Estonia and Latvia this April is looking different than most Baltic itineraries I’ve seen, and I’d like your help! We’ve traveled extensively throughout Europe and Asia, and although everyone has their own preferred travel style, we know what works best for us and don’t enjoy visiting too many different places - 4 is the absolute maximum number of hotels for us in 3 weeks. Our favorite trips have focused on a single country for 2-3 weeks, generally selecting 3 or 4 home bases that are each a little different – perhaps a capital city, a small town, and then someplace with natural beauty. In this case, we’re going to try two countries, but are leaving out Lithuania for now as we’d prefer to balance the two capital cities with seeing someplace different.
A little about us - we don’t like to lock in too many things each day – for example I might plan for just one museum, b/c inevitably we discover some neat shops along the way, spend hours in the museum, have a leisurely lunch, wander some back streets and admire the architecture, stumble on a neat neighborhood or antique shop, find a cute café for coffee, strike up a conversation with a local, etc. We always end up doing lots of things each day, but at our own pace. That said, we want to leave with the sense that we got a feel for the country, culture, and people, and I realize that’s tough to do if we’re only visiting a few places.
Things we enjoy – all sorts of museums, particularly ethnography (me), science/technical (hubby), and quirky museums. We love handmade crafts and antiques and always seek out flea markets, antique stores and small, unique shops. We enjoy gardens and botanical gardens, though we don’t do much hiking. We also like just wandering tiny picturesque streets and looking at interesting architecture.
We’re currently overseas, and flying into Riga and out of Tallinn works best for us. Other travel will be via bus, and we don’t mind having a few days trips here and there, but we don’t want multiple day trips in a row, and we don’t enjoy packing too much into a day trip.
I’ve reviewed several guidebooks and websites and come up w/ the below itinerary. (The daily activities aren’t carved in stone; I just use them to give myself a rough idea of how many days to spend in each city). What are your thoughts? I know there are so many interesting places we decided to leave out - Tartu, Saaremaa, all of Lithuania, etc., and I realize that our style of travel isn’t for everyone. But do you think this would give us a nice introduction to the two countries in a relaxed manner? Would you switch some days around, or exchange one location for another? Thanks so much for your feedback!
02 Sat Travel to Riga (6 nights)
03 Sun Riga Explore old town, Central Market
04 Mon Riga Art Nouveau facades
05 Tue Riga Mus. Of Decorative and Applied Arts, other museums
(Photography Mus or House of Dannenstern)
06 Wed Riga Ethnographic Open-Air Museum, Motor Museum
07 Thu Riga Spa/thermal baths; or day trip to Jurmala or Rundale Palace
08 Fri Travel to Kuldiga (2.5-3.5 hrs by bus) (2 nights)
09 Sat Kuldiga
10 Sun Travel to Sigulda (3.5 hrs to Riga, then 1.25 hrs to Sigulda) (5 nights)
11 Mon Sigulda Turaida Castle, cable car
12 Tue Sigulda Day trip to Cesis (40 min); old town, castle, lake
13 Wed Sigulda Bobsled
14 Thu Sigulda TBD
15 Fri Travel to Tallinn (back to Riga then 4.5 hrs, or 12 hr tour bus?) (8 nights)
16 Sat Tallinn Explore old town
17 Sun Tallinn City Museum, Estonian Hist Mus
18 Mon Tallinn Botanical Gardens?
19 Tue Tallinn Day trip to Lahemaa N. Pk – Palmse Manor House, villages
20 Wed Tallinn Kadiorg, KUMU Art Museum
21 Thu Tallinn Day trip – Haapsaalu or Helsinki
22 Fri Tallinn TBD
23 Sat Travel home
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A visit to Greenwich
- 2 Ger’s Paris Trip Report: February 2017
- 3 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 4 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 5 Sweden, Estonia and Southern Croatia
- 6 Alternative for Rustem Pasa Kulliyesi
- 7 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
- 8 I Cuisine vs Cookin with Class
- 9 Italy Dolomites in early April
- 10 Tips / stops on drive from Munich, Fussen, Salzburg
- 11 Sardinia or Corsica??
- 12 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 13 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 14 블랙잭바카라✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 15 10 day Iceland Road Trip in early April. Advice Needed!
- 16 바카라게임사이트✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 17 바카라게임✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 18 바카라사이트✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 19 바카라싸이트✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 20 마카오바카라✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 21 마카오바카라✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 22 인터넷바카라✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 23 라이브바카라✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 24 생방송바카라✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노
- 25 생중계바카라✌＼→【 DA798.ZE。AM 】←＼✌슈퍼카지노