Will be going to Iceland (finally!!) at the end of July. We arrive the afternoon of July 21st and will be staying in Reykjavik until my brother and his niece leave the morning of the 25th. My husband and I will remain until the morning of the 28th.
While my brother and niece are there we will be based in Reykjavik and going on day trips, so I figure we'll probably do a Golden Circle day tour, some type of trip that involves taking a super jeep and maybe a snowmobile onto a glacier....and definitely some horseback riding?
After they leave, though, I think I'd like to rent a car and explore some further afield. I'm all about spectacular scenery and wildlife, but we're not really into loooong hikes.
So 2 questions:
Are accommodations difficult enough to find or booked in advance enough that I need to plot our our route in advance and book them beforehand, or would it be possible to just drive wherever the mood takes us and find a B&B on the way? (I guess I am imagining something kind of like Tasmania, where I never had accommodation booked in advance, or even researched!
2. If I do need to plan my route, anyone have any recommendations? what "don't miss" places would you put on the list? At first glance, the West and the Westfjords seem the most intriguing......?
....ok maybe 3 questions
3. Any place to look for a rental car cheaper than AutoEurope?
Any hints welcome. My husband and I are both 31; my niece is 10 (brother is 36, not that that matters .
thanks in advance,
3 days in Iceland after all the day tours?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 2 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 3 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 4 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 5 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 6 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 7 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 8 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 9 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 10 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 11 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 12 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 13 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 14 Paris, London, 49ers and Fodors GTG
- 15 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 16 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 17 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 18 Vacation Rental in Venice
- 19 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 20 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 21 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 22 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 23 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 24 I dream of Europe
- 25 Spain (Practical) Trip Report