Will be going to Iceland (finally!!) at the end of July. We arrive the afternoon of July 21st and will be staying in Reykjavik until my brother and his niece leave the morning of the 25th. My husband and I will remain until the morning of the 28th.
While my brother and niece are there we will be based in Reykjavik and going on day trips, so I figure we'll probably do a Golden Circle day tour, some type of trip that involves taking a super jeep and maybe a snowmobile onto a glacier....and definitely some horseback riding?
After they leave, though, I think I'd like to rent a car and explore some further afield. I'm all about spectacular scenery and wildlife, but we're not really into loooong hikes.
So 2 questions:
Are accommodations difficult enough to find or booked in advance enough that I need to plot our our route in advance and book them beforehand, or would it be possible to just drive wherever the mood takes us and find a B&B on the way? (I guess I am imagining something kind of like Tasmania, where I never had accommodation booked in advance, or even researched!
2. If I do need to plan my route, anyone have any recommendations? what "don't miss" places would you put on the list? At first glance, the West and the Westfjords seem the most intriguing......?
....ok maybe 3 questions
3. Any place to look for a rental car cheaper than AutoEurope?
Any hints welcome. My husband and I are both 31; my niece is 10 (brother is 36, not that that matters .
thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting a rheum in Paris, then Django Fest week in Fontainebleau
- 2 Travel help laundary
- 3 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 4 Restaurant recommendations Athens
- 5 Almafi Coast Vs. French Riviera
- 6 Bruges to Brussels Central
- 7 Itinerary for 3 weeks in Italy
- 8 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 9 Is credit card rental car insurance worth it??
- 10 Croatia to Italy last week in September through October (Bernina Express?)
- 11 Getting to Cinque Terre from Croatia
- 12 Train to Sorrento
- 13 Trip Report - Portugal February 2015
- 14 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 15 6 nights in Dublin
- 16 Kerry /Dingle Bus Tour
- 17 Trip Report: Ghent, Normandy and Brittany
- 18 "Meals Game Plan" for Rome, Sorrento, and Florence, per piacere.?
- 19 Puglia and Matera
- 20 Going to Istanbul for 3 days
- 21 Help with 1 week in Normandy / Loire Valley
- 22 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 23 Italy- Sicily and the Amalfi coast - travel logistics
- 24 After Bordeaux - any suggestions?
- 25 Newbie - seeking any advice