Will be going to Iceland (finally!!) at the end of July. We arrive the afternoon of July 21st and will be staying in Reykjavik until my brother and his niece leave the morning of the 25th. My husband and I will remain until the morning of the 28th.
While my brother and niece are there we will be based in Reykjavik and going on day trips, so I figure we'll probably do a Golden Circle day tour, some type of trip that involves taking a super jeep and maybe a snowmobile onto a glacier....and definitely some horseback riding?
After they leave, though, I think I'd like to rent a car and explore some further afield. I'm all about spectacular scenery and wildlife, but we're not really into loooong hikes.
So 2 questions:
Are accommodations difficult enough to find or booked in advance enough that I need to plot our our route in advance and book them beforehand, or would it be possible to just drive wherever the mood takes us and find a B&B on the way? (I guess I am imagining something kind of like Tasmania, where I never had accommodation booked in advance, or even researched!
2. If I do need to plan my route, anyone have any recommendations? what "don't miss" places would you put on the list? At first glance, the West and the Westfjords seem the most intriguing......?
....ok maybe 3 questions
3. Any place to look for a rental car cheaper than AutoEurope?
Any hints welcome. My husband and I are both 31; my niece is 10 (brother is 36, not that that matters .
thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 2 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 3 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 4 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 5 Help with Ireland itinerary
- 6 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 7 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 8 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 9 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 10 When to Visit Scotland
- 11 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 12 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 13 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 14 English Countryside
- 15 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 16 Paris Shuttle Service - AVOID!!!!
- 17 Trains in Alps and UK
- 18 CDG airport and connection time
- 19 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 20 Switzerland
- 21 San Sebastian
- 22 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 23 car for four adults and four bikes
- 24 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 25 Barcelona cooking classes