Will be going to Iceland (finally!!) at the end of July. We arrive the afternoon of July 21st and will be staying in Reykjavik until my brother and his niece leave the morning of the 25th. My husband and I will remain until the morning of the 28th.
While my brother and niece are there we will be based in Reykjavik and going on day trips, so I figure we'll probably do a Golden Circle day tour, some type of trip that involves taking a super jeep and maybe a snowmobile onto a glacier....and definitely some horseback riding?
After they leave, though, I think I'd like to rent a car and explore some further afield. I'm all about spectacular scenery and wildlife, but we're not really into loooong hikes.
So 2 questions:
Are accommodations difficult enough to find or booked in advance enough that I need to plot our our route in advance and book them beforehand, or would it be possible to just drive wherever the mood takes us and find a B&B on the way? (I guess I am imagining something kind of like Tasmania, where I never had accommodation booked in advance, or even researched!
2. If I do need to plan my route, anyone have any recommendations? what "don't miss" places would you put on the list? At first glance, the West and the Westfjords seem the most intriguing......?
....ok maybe 3 questions
3. Any place to look for a rental car cheaper than AutoEurope?
Any hints welcome. My husband and I are both 31; my niece is 10 (brother is 36, not that that matters .
thanks in advance,
3 days in Iceland after all the day tours?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best Location for Car Pickup in Naples
- 2 Which european city?
- 3 Driving an RV in Switzerland
- 4 Southern Spain
- 5 29 day Itinerary for southern and eastern France
- 6 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 7 Christmas in Paris and Strasbourg in 2015
- 8 Skippered Charter Greece Islands
- 9 Scotland November 2015
- 10 Swiss mountain scenery in late April
- 11 Bus Service Between Spoleto and Norcia
- 12 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 13 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 14 All Set To Go!!
- 15 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 16 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 17 Italy - Driving from Frankfurt to Florence (June 2012)
- 18 Italy Countryside
- 19 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 20 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 21 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 22 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 23 Germany in December 2015
- 24 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 25 Greece or Portugal for 3-4 week fall sojourn?