Will be going to Iceland (finally!!) at the end of July. We arrive the afternoon of July 21st and will be staying in Reykjavik until my brother and his niece leave the morning of the 25th. My husband and I will remain until the morning of the 28th.
While my brother and niece are there we will be based in Reykjavik and going on day trips, so I figure we'll probably do a Golden Circle day tour, some type of trip that involves taking a super jeep and maybe a snowmobile onto a glacier....and definitely some horseback riding?
After they leave, though, I think I'd like to rent a car and explore some further afield. I'm all about spectacular scenery and wildlife, but we're not really into loooong hikes.
So 2 questions:
Are accommodations difficult enough to find or booked in advance enough that I need to plot our our route in advance and book them beforehand, or would it be possible to just drive wherever the mood takes us and find a B&B on the way? (I guess I am imagining something kind of like Tasmania, where I never had accommodation booked in advance, or even researched!
2. If I do need to plan my route, anyone have any recommendations? what "don't miss" places would you put on the list? At first glance, the West and the Westfjords seem the most intriguing......?
....ok maybe 3 questions
3. Any place to look for a rental car cheaper than AutoEurope?
Any hints welcome. My husband and I are both 31; my niece is 10 (brother is 36, not that that matters .
thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Drink Suggestions in English Pubs
- 2 Road Trip Central Europe on June
- 3 Spain and Beyond - Part Three
- 4 Driving Trip Basque Country and/or Aquitaine Pls Advise
- 5 Greece to Italy by Ferry, Pros and Cons
- 6 train Helsinki to St. Petersburg
- 7 Train seating
- 8 Paris Apartment Rental ? - reviews
- 9 which is the best places to visit in paris for kids ?
- 10 Planning on taking the train in Germany? Better have a backup plan.
- 11 Lack of diversity? Venice/Florence/Rome
- 12 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 13 Is it possible to see the Cotswolds without renting a car?
- 14 How Different Is Kotor than Dubrovnik?
- 15 Croatia Itinerary Help - Late May-Early June (15n)
- 16 One champagne tour in Reims
- 17 Question about staying in the Museumplein are
- 18 Southwest France
- 19 3 extra days in Provence/Riviera - advice please!
- 20 Krakow with photos
- 21 Munich: New Museum Open Documenting Nazism's Rise...
- 22 Travelling From Seattle to Italy, Mid May
- 23 1st Eurotrip: Copenhagen - Paris - Barcelona - Ireland
- 24 1st Eurotrip Itinerary - 12 days Backpacking in Europe
- 25 Northern Italy Camper Trip Questions