Will be going to Iceland (finally!!) at the end of July. We arrive the afternoon of July 21st and will be staying in Reykjavik until my brother and his niece leave the morning of the 25th. My husband and I will remain until the morning of the 28th.
While my brother and niece are there we will be based in Reykjavik and going on day trips, so I figure we'll probably do a Golden Circle day tour, some type of trip that involves taking a super jeep and maybe a snowmobile onto a glacier....and definitely some horseback riding?
After they leave, though, I think I'd like to rent a car and explore some further afield. I'm all about spectacular scenery and wildlife, but we're not really into loooong hikes.
So 2 questions:
Are accommodations difficult enough to find or booked in advance enough that I need to plot our our route in advance and book them beforehand, or would it be possible to just drive wherever the mood takes us and find a B&B on the way? (I guess I am imagining something kind of like Tasmania, where I never had accommodation booked in advance, or even researched!
2. If I do need to plan my route, anyone have any recommendations? what "don't miss" places would you put on the list? At first glance, the West and the Westfjords seem the most intriguing......?
....ok maybe 3 questions
3. Any place to look for a rental car cheaper than AutoEurope?
Any hints welcome. My husband and I are both 31; my niece is 10 (brother is 36, not that that matters .
thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Leather goods in Florence
- 2 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 3 French Election - Questions???
- 4 Lodging in Zurich and Lucerne?
- 5 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 6 Should I book my own guide for the Lourve and Versaille?
- 7 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 8 ALMERIA - 1 Day Excusions
- 9 What is the best travel insurance company?
- 10 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 11 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 12 Help me bookend our Bologna stay in December
- 13 Lucerne and Innsbruck
- 14 UZES & NIMES OR Orange & Châteauneuf du Pape
- 15 To Paris Beauvais? Thursday the 27th am?
- 16 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 17 2 weeks Europe trip
- 18 dinner jackets
- 19 French election
- 20 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 21 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 22 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 23 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 24 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 25 Thrift Stores in Paris