Will be going to Iceland (finally!!) at the end of July. We arrive the afternoon of July 21st and will be staying in Reykjavik until my brother and his niece leave the morning of the 25th. My husband and I will remain until the morning of the 28th.
While my brother and niece are there we will be based in Reykjavik and going on day trips, so I figure we'll probably do a Golden Circle day tour, some type of trip that involves taking a super jeep and maybe a snowmobile onto a glacier....and definitely some horseback riding?
After they leave, though, I think I'd like to rent a car and explore some further afield. I'm all about spectacular scenery and wildlife, but we're not really into loooong hikes.
So 2 questions:
Are accommodations difficult enough to find or booked in advance enough that I need to plot our our route in advance and book them beforehand, or would it be possible to just drive wherever the mood takes us and find a B&B on the way? (I guess I am imagining something kind of like Tasmania, where I never had accommodation booked in advance, or even researched!
2. If I do need to plan my route, anyone have any recommendations? what "don't miss" places would you put on the list? At first glance, the West and the Westfjords seem the most intriguing......?
....ok maybe 3 questions
3. Any place to look for a rental car cheaper than AutoEurope?
Any hints welcome. My husband and I are both 31; my niece is 10 (brother is 36, not that that matters .
thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 2 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 3 Hotel Fita Amsterdam- questions re: air conditioning
- 4 Keukenhof in May?
- 5 Happy birthday ATM
- 6 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 7 24 hours in Paris
- 8 Insurance on rental car options
- 9 Istanbul at Easter
- 10 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 11 tickets for Wimbledon
- 12 Does the heat of Europe ever grind you down?
- 13 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 14 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 15 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 16 Tips on our visit to Edinburgh, Glencoe, Skye
- 17 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 18 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 19 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 20 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 21 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 22 Renting a car in Greece
- 23 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 24 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 25 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?