Will be going to Iceland (finally!!) at the end of July. We arrive the afternoon of July 21st and will be staying in Reykjavik until my brother and his niece leave the morning of the 25th. My husband and I will remain until the morning of the 28th.
While my brother and niece are there we will be based in Reykjavik and going on day trips, so I figure we'll probably do a Golden Circle day tour, some type of trip that involves taking a super jeep and maybe a snowmobile onto a glacier....and definitely some horseback riding?
After they leave, though, I think I'd like to rent a car and explore some further afield. I'm all about spectacular scenery and wildlife, but we're not really into loooong hikes.
So 2 questions:
Are accommodations difficult enough to find or booked in advance enough that I need to plot our our route in advance and book them beforehand, or would it be possible to just drive wherever the mood takes us and find a B&B on the way? (I guess I am imagining something kind of like Tasmania, where I never had accommodation booked in advance, or even researched!
2. If I do need to plan my route, anyone have any recommendations? what "don't miss" places would you put on the list? At first glance, the West and the Westfjords seem the most intriguing......?
....ok maybe 3 questions
3. Any place to look for a rental car cheaper than AutoEurope?
Any hints welcome. My husband and I are both 31; my niece is 10 (brother is 36, not that that matters .
thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cork or Galway?
- 2 French lavender and cottages
- 3 Bead Tours in Jablonec?
- 4 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 5 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 6 Italy - Car Rental - CDW's and Insurance
- 7 What Greek islands should I visit
- 8 Rail/Hoylhead/Edinburgh
- 9 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 10 Small foodie tours in Bologna
- 11 Major quake in central Itay
- 12 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 13 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 14 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 15 Venice Cruise Port: Santa Lucia or Mestre?
- 16 Celebrity Reflection Greek Island Cruise
- 17 Dordogne and Loire Valley
- 18 3 days with a Swindon base
- 19 Where to stay in London
- 20 Eastern Europe Summer 2017 Itinerary + Mykonos Break
- 21 MiFi in Italy
- 22 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 23 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 24 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 25 Spanish leather -- women's leather vest