There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland with a Northern Twist
- 2 Day Trips from Avignon via train/bus
- 3 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 4 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 5 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 6 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 7 one last portugal car rental question
- 8 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 9 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 10 Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba
- 11 Article about the building of Brunelleschi's dome on the Duomo in Florence
- 12 Europe in 21 days
- 13 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 14 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 15 Street food in Turkey
- 16 Dublin Hostels
- 17 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 18 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 19 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 20 Spain Questions
- 21 9 days in turkey
- 22 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 23 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 24 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 25 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague