There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Looking for review of 1-day Pompeii/Naples Itinerary Please
- 2 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 3 Buying Train Tickets on line in advance of Trip to Italy
- 4 restaurants / pubs near British museum / Bloomsbury
- 5 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 6 Help!! Need to pick up train tickets in France and credit card stolen
- 7 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 8 Trip to Italy
- 9 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 10 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 11 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 12 1st time in Spain w/ 3 Children 8years and under - Help with itinery please
- 13 Day trips in 3 countries bordering Germany
- 14 Automatic car rental in Italy: Dollar or Thrifty?
- 15 Which Northern Germany international airport?
- 16 Granada, Spain hotel choice
- 17 Seven days in London, June, 2014
- 18 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 19 Scotland day tour
- 20 Granada: stay in the Albayzin?
- 21 New Discoveries at Ostia Antica.
- 22 Deciding between tour companies- Trafalgar vs Insight
- 23 England sites not to miss
- 24 TR: Solo in LONDON for ten days on unfinished business ...
- 25 What should we tip our tour guide?