There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...
- 1 Medieval Tallinn
- 2 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 3 Ireland in a week
- 4 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 5 A full week in The Netherlands
- 6 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 7 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 8 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 9 Madrid to Sevilla
- 10 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station
- 11 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 12 Dawdling Through the Dordogne
- 13 Le Marche and Rome - Part 3 - Recanati
- 14 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 15 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 16 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 17 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 18 To Paris and Provence in June
- 19 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 20 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 21 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 22 Going to Puglia, I hope
- 23 7 days in Andalucia
- 24 Travelling to Amalfi Coast in April 2014
- 25 Scandinavia Itinerary