There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 US AARP discounts in Europe
- 2 London's Fastest Urban Zip Line in Europe!
- 3 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 4 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 5 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 6 Hotel recommendations: Venice, Florence and Rome
- 7 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 8 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 9 Wengen 3 1/2 days trip final suggestion
- 10 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 11 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 12 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 13 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 14 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?
- 15 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 16 Appenzell in December?
- 17 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 18 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 19 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 20 Help me choose between two hotels in the Lot
- 21 Sisi Ticket - skip line at Hofburg?
- 22 Traveling in Belgium
- 23 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 24 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 25 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...