There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mediterranean Vacation - Transportation
- 2 Swiss decisions
- 3 10-12 nights in Switzerland and France
- 4 Medieval Dinner other than Bunratty
- 5 Northwestern Switzerland Fall 2014
- 6 Family trip to France with kids
- 7 Leaving Tomorrow need some last minute advice
- 8 More time in Colmar/Strasbourg vs a day for Reims or Chartes
- 9 Train tickets France and Spain
- 10 Alhambra tickets for May?
- 11 Europe in June with 8-year old
- 12 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 13 A week in spain
- 14 One night somewhere between Zurich and Geneva
- 15 Where to honeymoon in Southern France and Northern Italy?
- 16 Help - Train: Florence to Salerno & Ferry: Salerno to Positano
- 17 Paris Shopping - stationery, linens, hats, kitchen stuff
- 18 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 19 Looking for Decent Beach near Marseille, France
- 20 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 21 Time to get lowest airfare to Norway
- 22 Please help me plan my trip!
- 23 Vienna and Prague or Venice/Sienna/Rome for honeymoon?
- 24 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 25 where to stay in Lake Como in mid-May?