There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 currency
- 2 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 3 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 4 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 5 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 6 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 7 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 8 Sagrada Familia-Guide or Audio
- 9 T Mobile Does it Again
- 10 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 11 IN EUROPE - EPISODE THREE - KARLOVY VARY, DRESDEN
- 12 IN EUROPE - EPISODE THREE - KARLOVY VARY, DRESDEN
- 13 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken
- 14 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 15 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 16 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 17 Sardinia Italian's paradise
- 18 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 19 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 20 Reflections on our Trip to Barcelona, Languedoc, Dordogne and Paris
- 21 want to use Iphone in UK and Italy
- 22 Three days in Istanbul in August
- 23 European Championship
- 24 4 days driving holiday to rural North England.
- 25 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...