There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 2 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- 3 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 4 Car rental leaving Rome
- 5 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 6 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 7 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 8 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 9 Trip Report - Croatia, Sept 22 -Oct 12 (Slovenia, Bosnia..)
- 10 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 11 Normandy and England in November Trip Planning
- 12 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 13 A Walk in Tuscany, New Places to Discover, & A Life Time of memories
- 14 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
- 15 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 16 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 17 Car Rental in Italy
- 18 Rue des Rosiers
- 19 Last min prep for Krakow - Questions
- 20 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 21 First Trip to Europe!
- 22 Paris Under Seige...
- 23 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 24 Pyrenees villages sth of Lourdes
- 25 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...