There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome airport--should I arrive more than 2 hours early?
- 2 Irish Inns and B&B Reservations
- 3 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 4 DH wants Paris but I need ACoast....itinerary help!
- 5 6 nights to spend between salzburg and austria
- 6 2 weeks in Europe
- 7 Northern Italy itinerary critique - please
- 8 Need help on best 7 day Istanbul / Cappadocia end of April itinerary
- 9 Family trip - 11 days/10 nights in Italy
- 10 Honeymoon in Greece or Italy or Spain?
- 11 First ever trip overseas - itinerary check
- 12 Itinerary Feedback (Spain/Italy in April/May)
- 13 active activities in Marmaris, Myrina (Lemnos), and Patmos?
- 14 Madrid and London
- 15 Tours for Ephesus and Cappadoccia
- 16 Suggestions on how best to spend our time in Lyon
- 17 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 18 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 19 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 20 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 21 Rome Fiumicino terminal 2 to terminal 3
- 22 Matisse at Tate
- 23 Ireland Southwest
- 24 Restaurant Recommendations for Lisbon
- 25 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...