There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 2 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 3 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 4 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 5 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 6 Avignon to London?
- 7 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 8 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 9 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 10 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 11 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 12 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 13 Palm Sunday in Paris
- 14 Paris airport shuttle recommendations
- 15 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 16 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 17 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 18 Gotland Sweden Hotels
- 19 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 20 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 21 Mycenae Documentary
- 22 Travelling two weeks in London, Ireland and Scotland.
- 23 30 Days in Europe - 29 y/o male
- 24 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 25 Amalfi transport to Pompeii ruins