There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy trip questions
- 2 Stay in Chablis or Auxerre?
- 3 Huge New 5,000 Year Old Underground City Excavated in Cappadocia
- 4 Taormina to Palermo
- 5 2 Weeks in Germany in December
- 6 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 7 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 8 history museums or locations
- 9 1st time in Paris - apartment advice
- 10 Anyone trying to get out of the French Alps?
- 11 Budget family trip to Europe
- 12 Euro Trivia Quiz #17 - British Train Trivia
- 13 Alternate base to Frankfurt
- 14 Affordable language lessons/homestays in France?
- 15 caroline_venezia
- 16 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 17 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 18 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 19 Spain, Summer 2014 Itinerary Suggestions
- 20 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 21 Honeymoon in the Alps (with skiing)
- 22 Our Brief Bavarian Break: Christmas Markets
- 23 Budget Trip to Europe | 22, 23-yr old | June 2015
- 24 Airport bus Bilbao to San Sebastian and back
- 25 Where to stay Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena, and Rome.