There are just so many amazing places to visit in the Tuscan countryside that I am having an absolutely difficult time with an itinerary.
Any suggestions/tips/insights from fellow travelers are welcome!
Background: My fiance and I (late 30s) are renting a car on our last day in Rome and would like to spend 3+ days exploring the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence. We will be traveling around November 30 I prefer one central lodging location as a base for the 3 days but am open to suggestions.
Likes: Wine, wine and more wine, food, food and more food, scenic vistas, atmosphere
With that out of the way ... Here are some of the cities that interest me but clearly there are too many on my list for such a short trip.
Any help narrowing it down would be so appreciated and, of course, any specific driving itineraries involving wine and/or food tastings would be even better.
In no particular order:
Orvieto (this would be a stop outside of Rome on our way to Tuscany)
I had originally thought about staying in the Montalcino area but thought that Siena may be more central. Any thoughts?
Any two cities that are similar? Have I missed and musts!
3-Day Tuscan Countryside: Itinerary ideas, suggestions ...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Our first trip to Europe
- 2 Drug addict cleansing in France and Spain
- 3 Buying Italian train tickets online
- 4 Please Help with Destination City In Belgium
- 5 "Untours" as a tour guide
- 6 2 week Europe trip adivce
- 7 Netherlands/Belgium Itinerary Insights
- 8 Does anyone know of a good resource for Castles
- 9 Booking Engines You trust?
- 10 November to Netherlands and Belgium?
- 11 Malaga article
- 12 Bologna: Aperitivo Time
- 13 Spain in 17 days
- 14 Overnight layover in moscow
- 15 April long weekend - Munich v Innsbruck v Salzburg
- 16 Help me find a Villa in Val D'Orcia this Summer!
- 17 Bounced from flight back to Athens in June! Thoughts?
- 18 Megeve or St.Gervais les Bains in mid June?
- 19 To include Florence or Not....A Venice, (maybe Florence), and Rome trip
- 20 Arrive in Paris early am, no check-in/luggage drop until pm. Options?
- 21 North side of Thun Lake Switzerland as a lodging base
- 22 Belgium - Amsterdam - Dusseldorf
- 23 Spain in 17 days
- 24 Advice for Venice/Rome Trip
- 25 Has anyone used Hop Airlines?