I'm a college student studying abroad in Dublin this coming semester, but before I start school, two friends and I will be traveling around Europe for about two weeks. We've decided to visit Rome, Venice, Vienna, and Prague.
We arrive in Rome on the morning of August 20th and leave Prague on the evening of September 1st (trip total: 12 nights, 13ish days). We're thinking 3 nights in Rome (3.5 days), 2 nights in Venice (2.25 days), taking an overnight train to Vienna, where we'll spend 3 nights (3.5 days) and 3 nights in Prague (3 days). We'll take trains to get from city to city, but we're considering taking the bus from Vienna to Prague. We'll be staying in youth hostels.
None of us have been to Europe before, so we don't really know what to expect. If any experienced Europe travelers have opinions/suggestions about the following (or anything else you'd like to say), feedback would be greatly appreciated!
1. Booking train transportation ahead of time
2. How long to stay in each city
3. Ways to be frugal
4. How much to pack (e.g. how many/what size suitcases? Or just a backpack?)
These are just some things I've been wondering about. Any suggestions, comments, and opinions are welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 2 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 3 Prague itinerary advice
- 4 Fodors monitors - "view profile" not available on Foxfire
- 5 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 6 Path of the Gods / Amalfi coast
- 7 Spending Money for a 30 day trip
- 8 Santorini lodging
- 9 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 10 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 11 Fine-tuning Requested: Naxos, Santorini, Athens Itinerary
- 12 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 13 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 14 info Faro & Algarve
- 15 Comments on locations/sestieri, please
- 16 Nafplio to Hydra
- 17 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 18 Favorite restaurants in Provence???
- 19 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 20 Day Trips from Dunfermline
- 21 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 22 Six Days on the Road in Ireland...Ideas?
- 23 May get together in Paris
- 24 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 25 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
3 college students, 2 weeks in Europe: Rome, Venice, Vienna, Prague