I'm a college student studying abroad in Dublin this coming semester, but before I start school, two friends and I will be traveling around Europe for about two weeks. We've decided to visit Rome, Venice, Vienna, and Prague.
We arrive in Rome on the morning of August 20th and leave Prague on the evening of September 1st (trip total: 12 nights, 13ish days). We're thinking 3 nights in Rome (3.5 days), 2 nights in Venice (2.25 days), taking an overnight train to Vienna, where we'll spend 3 nights (3.5 days) and 3 nights in Prague (3 days). We'll take trains to get from city to city, but we're considering taking the bus from Vienna to Prague. We'll be staying in youth hostels.
None of us have been to Europe before, so we don't really know what to expect. If any experienced Europe travelers have opinions/suggestions about the following (or anything else you'd like to say), feedback would be greatly appreciated!
1. Booking train transportation ahead of time
2. How long to stay in each city
3. Ways to be frugal
4. How much to pack (e.g. how many/what size suitcases? Or just a backpack?)
These are just some things I've been wondering about. Any suggestions, comments, and opinions are welcome!
3 college students, 2 weeks in Europe: Rome, Venice, Vienna, Prague
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris, London, 49ers and Fodors GTG
- 2 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 3 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 4 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 5 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 6 Vacation Rental in Venice
- 7 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 8 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 9 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 10 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 11 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 12 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 13 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 14 I dream of Europe
- 15 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 16 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 17 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 18 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 19 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 20 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 21 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 22 Rome Food Tour
- 23 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 24 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 25 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep