I have learned so much reading these boards. I need a little help with the middle part of our itinerary. My husband and I will being seeing our daughter and my sister home from Pisa airport in late April and we will continue on. We will have already visited Orvieto, Montepulciano, San Gim, Volterra, Siena and Florence. All of our prior travel will be by public transportation. We would like to rent a car and see Lucca and more of Umbria particularly Assisi and a few other towns.
Here are my questions.
Should we rent a car in Florence the morning sis and DD leave, drop them at the Pisa airport, and head to Lucca for 1 night? Or should we do bus/train to Pisa then onto Lucca and get a car there. I think it may be less stressful getting to the airport in our own car. And maybe we would get a chance to peak at the leaning tower.
We would like to stay in an agriturismo and I think Assisi/Spello may be a central area. The only must do is visit Assisi. I would like to just relax for a few days and go where the wind takes us. We very much enjoy the outdoors and hiking etc. Any towns we shouldn't miss and do you think this would be a nice location?
On May 2 we will relocate to Sorrento. Since we have a car, should we drive or should we return car to nearest train station and train to Sorrento? I originally thought we would take the train but it might be less stressful to drive and drop the car in Sorrento.
Thanks in advance for all of your ideas. I really appreciate it.
3-4 nights in Umbria. Need a base
- 1 Chambermaid tipping
- 2 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 3 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 4 Greek islands from Turkey
- 5 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 6 Travelling with Alitalia. MIA-FCO-AOI Carry-on or Check-in baggage?
- 7 Italian Lakes gardens
- 8 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 9 First time traveler to Ireland
- 10 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 11 Euro Train
- 12 Advent weekend in Quedlinburg
- 13 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 14 Dresden Train Station
- 15 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 16 Help me plan a vacation to Paris!
- 17 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 18 Novels set in Greece
- 19 London for Christmas
- 20 Istanbul and Cappadocia in 10 days - trip report
- 21 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 22 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 23 Waltz performances in Stadtpark Vienna
- 24 Night trains across Europe--what are the fares?
- 25 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?