I have learned so much reading these boards. I need a little help with the middle part of our itinerary. My husband and I will being seeing our daughter and my sister home from Pisa airport in late April and we will continue on. We will have already visited Orvieto, Montepulciano, San Gim, Volterra, Siena and Florence. All of our prior travel will be by public transportation. We would like to rent a car and see Lucca and more of Umbria particularly Assisi and a few other towns.
Here are my questions.
Should we rent a car in Florence the morning sis and DD leave, drop them at the Pisa airport, and head to Lucca for 1 night? Or should we do bus/train to Pisa then onto Lucca and get a car there. I think it may be less stressful getting to the airport in our own car. And maybe we would get a chance to peak at the leaning tower.
We would like to stay in an agriturismo and I think Assisi/Spello may be a central area. The only must do is visit Assisi. I would like to just relax for a few days and go where the wind takes us. We very much enjoy the outdoors and hiking etc. Any towns we shouldn't miss and do you think this would be a nice location?
On May 2 we will relocate to Sorrento. Since we have a car, should we drive or should we return car to nearest train station and train to Sorrento? I originally thought we would take the train but it might be less stressful to drive and drop the car in Sorrento.
Thanks in advance for all of your ideas. I really appreciate it.
3-4 nights in Umbria. Need a base
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels/B&B's in Monterosso
- 2 Portugal Trip
- 3 HELP people from DONBASS!
- 4 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 5 history museums or locations
- 6 Dining at the Eiffel Tower: 58 Tour Eiffel Restaurant Review
- 7 One week in Spain, late May
- 8 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 9 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
- 10 Pyrenees logistics
- 11 Northern Europe in April-May
- 12 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 13 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 14 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 15 Normandy and Loire
- 16 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 17 malta
- 18 First time Ireland trip
- 19 Need Advice! Munich to Strasbourg to Paris
- 20 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 21 Iwango went…to Nice
- 22 5 Observations About Paris
- 23 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 24 Euro Trivia Quiz #16
- 25 A Duty Nobly Done — Anselm and Margriet in Flanders and Picardy