Greetings Iceland fans,
I am a new member and will be visiting Iceland for the first time. I will be arriving in the afternoon of July 8th and leaving in the late afternoon of July 12th on my way home to Canada from Northern Iraq and want to be able to make the most of my time in Iceland. (As this is a new and reasonably economic route, I am certain I will be using it again come winter). Ideally I would rent a car and make my own way around the island, but I as I am a weak driver, I don't feel comfortable driving without another person in the car.
Given the above, I have already booked my hotel in Reykjavik and plan to take day trips. It seems that without a car, solo travel by public transportation is very time consuming. I wonder if anyone could recommend the best tours for this time of year and the best companies to go with? I can't afford private tours (otherwise I would have booked something like the trip I could take if I were willing to drive myself), but would prefer ones with fewer people and taking in those sights that are best seen in summer. Love the idea of sailing around glaciers (but it seems Jökulsárlón is a long way to go in one day... is it worth it?). It seems the puffins would still be about in July. Travel guides seem to recommend Snæfellsnes, Landmannalaugar, Golden Circle and whale watching tours. How to decide? Which company to have a more personal experience with? Please help. I am a little out of my element as I normally organize my trips around food, cultural events, and works of man-made rather than natural beauty.
Many thanks to those willing to share their experiences.
PS. I have a long stopover on the way back (8 hours), so I figure there is no need to try to fit in the Blue Lagoon until my way back.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help / Day Planning Required ...
- 2 GERMANY, MID-RHINE & MUNICH
- 3 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 4 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 5 5 days in the Morvan (Burgundy)
- 6 Self drive tour companies
- 7 Dordogne Itinerary - Do I Need Another Day?
- 8 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 9 Vineyard recommendations near Piacenza? La Stoppa or Marchese Malaspina?
- 10 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 11 Italian lakes
- 12 Advice needed- Sardinia or Costa Brava (again) in August
- 13 Favorite restaurants in Provence???
- 14 Layover, not get on connecting flight
- 15 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 16 Ideas for driving from Barcelona to Bordeaux
- 17 Italy - Car vs Train: Milan, Cinque Terre, Lalyake District in March
- 18 Oslo-Flam-Borgund-Balestrand in one day?
- 19 10 day Italy
- 20 Question re best time of day to visit Keukenhof
- 21 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 22 Prague itinerary advice
- 23 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 24 Santorini lodging
- 25 Ireland
Greetings Iceland fans,