Greetings Iceland fans,
I am a new member and will be visiting Iceland for the first time. I will be arriving in the afternoon of July 8th and leaving in the late afternoon of July 12th on my way home to Canada from Northern Iraq and want to be able to make the most of my time in Iceland. (As this is a new and reasonably economic route, I am certain I will be using it again come winter). Ideally I would rent a car and make my own way around the island, but I as I am a weak driver, I don't feel comfortable driving without another person in the car.
Given the above, I have already booked my hotel in Reykjavik and plan to take day trips. It seems that without a car, solo travel by public transportation is very time consuming. I wonder if anyone could recommend the best tours for this time of year and the best companies to go with? I can't afford private tours (otherwise I would have booked something like the trip I could take if I were willing to drive myself), but would prefer ones with fewer people and taking in those sights that are best seen in summer. Love the idea of sailing around glaciers (but it seems Jökulsárlón is a long way to go in one day... is it worth it?). It seems the puffins would still be about in July. Travel guides seem to recommend Snæfellsnes, Landmannalaugar, Golden Circle and whale watching tours. How to decide? Which company to have a more personal experience with? Please help. I am a little out of my element as I normally organize my trips around food, cultural events, and works of man-made rather than natural beauty.
Many thanks to those willing to share their experiences.
PS. I have a long stopover on the way back (8 hours), so I figure there is no need to try to fit in the Blue Lagoon until my way back.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://supplementeffects.com/amabella/
- 2 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 3 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 4 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 5 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 6 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 7 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 8 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 9 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 10 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 11 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 12 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 13 Europe First Timers
- 14 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 15 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 16 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 17 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 18 Iceland for Nine Days
- 19 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 20 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 21 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 22 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 23 Rome or Venice first
- 24 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 25 A quick visit to Hampton Court
Greetings Iceland fans,