Greetings Iceland fans,
I am a new member and will be visiting Iceland for the first time. I will be arriving in the afternoon of July 8th and leaving in the late afternoon of July 12th on my way home to Canada from Northern Iraq and want to be able to make the most of my time in Iceland. (As this is a new and reasonably economic route, I am certain I will be using it again come winter). Ideally I would rent a car and make my own way around the island, but I as I am a weak driver, I don't feel comfortable driving without another person in the car.
Given the above, I have already booked my hotel in Reykjavik and plan to take day trips. It seems that without a car, solo travel by public transportation is very time consuming. I wonder if anyone could recommend the best tours for this time of year and the best companies to go with? I can't afford private tours (otherwise I would have booked something like the trip I could take if I were willing to drive myself), but would prefer ones with fewer people and taking in those sights that are best seen in summer. Love the idea of sailing around glaciers (but it seems Jökulsárlón is a long way to go in one day... is it worth it?). It seems the puffins would still be about in July. Travel guides seem to recommend Snæfellsnes, Landmannalaugar, Golden Circle and whale watching tours. How to decide? Which company to have a more personal experience with? Please help. I am a little out of my element as I normally organize my trips around food, cultural events, and works of man-made rather than natural beauty.
Many thanks to those willing to share their experiences.
PS. I have a long stopover on the way back (8 hours), so I figure there is no need to try to fit in the Blue Lagoon until my way back.
3 & 2 half days in Iceland - best trips for summer?
Greetings Iceland fans,
- 1 Train from London to Edinburgh
- 2 Looking for Paris apartment for honeymoon
- 3 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 4 Easyjet luggage/ baggage
- 5 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 6 My First Trip to Provence and Paris...Loved!!!
- 7 Spain Pyrenees overnight stopover Help needed with route?
- 8 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 9 Spain / fatima - itinerary suggestion 10 days
- 10 Croatia Restaurant Recommendations
- 11 from Loire (Tours) to Amsterdam?
- 12 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 13 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 14 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 15 Local Living Rome- G adventures
- 16 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 17 Santorini-Nafplio-Delphi-Athens Help
- 18 Netherland -> belgium -> Germany (Rhine Valley)
- 19 Help with Greece+Istanbul Itinerary
- 20 Sardinia and Berlin Itinerary
- 21 Berlin and Sardinia Itinerary
- 22 Day trip to Capri
- 23 ferry to Harwich
- 24 Car Rental Locations
- 25 Loire Valley & Brittany - recommendations?