Greetings Iceland fans,
I am a new member and will be visiting Iceland for the first time. I will be arriving in the afternoon of July 8th and leaving in the late afternoon of July 12th on my way home to Canada from Northern Iraq and want to be able to make the most of my time in Iceland. (As this is a new and reasonably economic route, I am certain I will be using it again come winter). Ideally I would rent a car and make my own way around the island, but I as I am a weak driver, I don't feel comfortable driving without another person in the car.
Given the above, I have already booked my hotel in Reykjavik and plan to take day trips. It seems that without a car, solo travel by public transportation is very time consuming. I wonder if anyone could recommend the best tours for this time of year and the best companies to go with? I can't afford private tours (otherwise I would have booked something like the trip I could take if I were willing to drive myself), but would prefer ones with fewer people and taking in those sights that are best seen in summer. Love the idea of sailing around glaciers (but it seems Jökulsárlón is a long way to go in one day... is it worth it?). It seems the puffins would still be about in July. Travel guides seem to recommend Snæfellsnes, Landmannalaugar, Golden Circle and whale watching tours. How to decide? Which company to have a more personal experience with? Please help. I am a little out of my element as I normally organize my trips around food, cultural events, and works of man-made rather than natural beauty.
Many thanks to those willing to share their experiences.
PS. I have a long stopover on the way back (8 hours), so I figure there is no need to try to fit in the Blue Lagoon until my way back.
3 & 2 half days in Iceland - best trips for summer?
Greetings Iceland fans,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Arrive in Paris early am, no check-in/luggage drop until pm. Options?
- 2 driving country-to-country: so many questions
- 3 San Sebastian or Pamploma?
- 4 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 5 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 6 Private guide in Germany - typical fees?
- 7 Inexperienced traveler trying to plan for 2 weeks in Europe!
- 8 Help with 3 week Itenarary... Ireland (dublin) & Paris.. possibly London.
- 9 Athens and which islands?
- 10 Which Car to book at CDG in May 2015? Do you get Complimentary Upgrade?
- 11 Prague to Dubrovnik Itinerary Suggestions wanted
- 12 8 day May Road Trip - Best of France
- 13 5 days in France-What do we do!?
- 14 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 15 Cell phone use in Europe for dummies
- 16 Bologna: Walk via Arcades to San Luca
- 17 Trans-Siberian Railway
- 18 Europe Quis ( Friday March 27 )
- 19 Train Madrid-Granada-Seville?
- 20 Belgium - Amsterdam - Dusseldorf
- 21 Input wanted on Budapest to Prague July trip
- 22 Prague symphony - please help me choose 2 seats
- 23 14 days in Italy. need some help
- 24 Drug addict cleansing in France and Spain
- 25 Umbria, Marche - where to add extra days