Hopefully I can get some affirmation that my current plan is good to go.
I, male age26, will be traveling July 11-26 with 3 others; one male, two females ages 45-50. (exact dates are flexible, e.g. 10-25 or 10-26, but ~2weeks total nonetheless). We are coming from NYC area so want to minimize airfare cost to and from Europe (flights appear reasonable into Lisbon and out of Naples).
About us: All speak English and Spanish. We do not mind some physical strain from sightseeing/walking, but do want some R&R at some point. I was thinking this could be had by visiting the beaches in Lisbon 1 day, and perhaps one 1/2 day while in Barcelona. This could also involve 1hour breaks sitting at a cafe people watching .......We love history/traditions/culture/architecture, but not too big on art (read: yes old churches/ruins/old buildings, but no art museums haha). Want to really hit the big tourist attractions, but the same time plan to save money by doing self-guided sightseeing/ free walking tours.
Since there are four of us, and the older women may be more comfortable with some degree of privacy, I have been looking at airbnb private apartments at each location; each location seems to have plenty of options and split among 4 comes out comparable to many hostels; 30-40usd per night per person).
1. I am thinking of flying NYC- Lisbon July 11, arriving on 12, (~390usd) and spending 3-4 nights, July 12-15/16 (the airfare to Lisbon was one of the cheapest I could find, and transportation to other Euro cities seems to be convenient from there).
2. After Lisbon, I was thinking Barcelona. LIS to BCN July 15 (~100usd), spending 4 nights, leaving July 19.
3. After Barcelona, flight to Rome July 19 (~60usd), spending 5 nights, leaving July 24.
4. After Rome, transport to Naples July 24, leaving July 26.
5. Naples back to NYC July 26 (~650usd).
Thoughts? It seems this itinerary gives me good time in 3 major cities in 3 countries while not involving too much transportation cost in between.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 2 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 3 Fodors's Slow to Load Lately?
- 4 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 5 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 6 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 7 Scotland
- 8 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 9 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 10 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 11 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 12 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 13 Maximizing Norway time
- 14 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 15 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 16 Studying art in English in venice
- 17 Berlin to ?
- 18 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 19 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 20 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
- 21 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 22 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 23 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 24 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 25 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
2week trip: Lisbon, Barcelona, Rome, Naples... Good itinerary/idea?