I'm thinking about doing some more travel in London, but since it's been a while since I spent much more than 24 hours in the city, I've been looking at guidebooks. It turns out I'm not interested in most of what they're writing about. I mean, I can find the museums myself, but I'm actually interested in experiencing more of contemporary London -- maybe immigrant neighborhoods, newer architecture, maybe a well-regarded avant-garde theater space or---- ???
The thing is, I don't really know where to find what I'm looking for, or maybe it doesn't exist. Maybe you could help if I told you what I'm not interested in:
Nothing to do with the royal family
No historic pubs
No WW2 monuments
No dangerous, hostile or prostitution neighborhoods.
I'm not really a sports fan, but I'm thinking maybe I should go to a sports event, or a sports pub. I'm also thinking I'd like to see that huge Hindu temple that's on the outskirts of town. Is it interesting to walk around strongly ethnic neighborhoods? Is there some cutting edge area of London?
One more question: Is the Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park just now certifiable lunatics, or do sometimes people who really are sane to rant against the system up on the platform? I'm thinking if it's the latter, I'd like to go.
Hope this isn't just babbling and somebody knows what I mean. I want to see the new London, not what little is left of the old one, especially when it's just there for tourists.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for helping if you can.
21st century London. Need some tips
- 1 Train from Barcelona to Figueras, and Figueras to Perpignan
- 2 International Trains to Switzerland using Swiss Pass
- 3 Tuscany Lodging - Ankhura vs. Terre di Nano
- 4 Germany and Italy
- 5 Any experience with Chateau des Monthairons (Dieue-sur-Meuse near Verdun)?
- 6 Changing of the Guard
- 7 Which tour company would be best?
- 8 Cinque terre or Como/Bellagio for day trip from milan?
- 9 WWI Battlefield Tours
- 10 Schiphol to cruise port - luggage problem
- 11 FCO to Fast Train and Best way to travel back from Naples to Rome
- 12 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 13 Traveling to the Netherlands with my 10 year old daughter
- 14 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 15 London Evening Activity
- 16 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 17 Southeast England - more planning ?
- 18 Scavi -- Photocopy of ID Sufficient?
- 19 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 20 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 21 Hotel question...first time to Paris!
- 22 Moonliner bus question - can someone help please?
- 23 Hot Air Balloon crash in Cappadocia kills two, injures twenty-three
- 24 Barcelona - eat, drink, dance.
- 25 Apartment Rental Website for Scotland?