Haven't posted for awhile, but need help planning a trip to England. We've spent a month in Scotland years ago and want to save Ireland for another trip. We're two couples, 70's and 80's, traveled a lot, but too old to rent a car and drive--and that's the problem, getting from place to place.
We would like to spend 7 nights in the lake district, 4 in the Cotswolds, 3 in Bath, 3 in Cornwall, and the rest in London.
We got our airfare today, a great drop in price, from the U.S. to Manchester. Now how to get to Keswick, where we have reserved a B & B for 7 nights. Like to find some company with a van to pick us up, with our luggage, and transport us to the B & B. I've emailed the B & B to see if they know someone, but haven't heard back yet.
Next, how to get to the Cotswolds and what village to stay in that is convenient for walking/ tours/ trains/ buses. Any favorite village/inns/b & b's? We're not big on big cities, want to enjoy the countryside and beautiful villages and do short walks.
From there, to Bath. Have three days there. Any suggestions on how to get there easily, and where to stay? Next to Cornwall, is it easy to get there from Bath? Is Penzance a good place to get tours from?
Have to see Port Issac,or Port Wen, as it's called on "Dr Martin".
From there to London for four nights. Is the Paddington Station area a good area to stay and catch tours and tube?
Our trip is in mid Sept to early Oct, so still lots of time to plan. We were wondering if that time of year you would need to reserve B & Bs, etc. in advance or can we just wing it. and find nice places when we arrive at a destination.
The logistics of traveling from place to place is the hardest for me.
Thanks for your help, Granny
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 2 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 3 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 4 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 5 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 6 3 nights in Madrid
- 7 Help with Ireland Trip
- 8 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 9 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 10 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 11 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 12 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 13 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 14 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 15 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 16 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 17 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 18 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 19 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 20 Iceland trip report!
- 21 Swimming in Lake Bled?
- 22 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 23 Bernese Oberland
- 24 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 25 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou