I am a newbie on this forum and from South Africa.
I am planning a trip to Europe in the winter (8-29 January) of 2015 for 21 days to visit some places of interest and do some skiing in France. We (wife & I - both in early 30's) know it will be cold this time of the year, but we wanted this trip to be something different (I have never experienced real snow) and we have chosen this time due to lower number of tourists, cheaper flights & accommodation tariffs (or at least that is what we read up on). We will make sure to dress appropriately for these conditions.
The idea is to travel to France first and spend some time in Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and some other sites. We have allowed ourselves 3 days in the city. Then we want to head to the Porte du Soleil area (Morzine - Les Gets) to do some skiing (6 days). After the skiing, we want to go to Switzerland (4 days) to experience the Jungfrau, Matterhorn & take the Bernina/Glacier express to Tirano. Entering Italy (5-6 days), we want to head to Rome and also visit Naples.
We will depart from OR Thambo International airport in South Africa to Charles de Gaulle in Paris and fly out from Rome back home.
Here are a few questions to start off with:
1. I read somewhere that some attractions are not open during this time of year in Paris,
is this true? We wanted to visit the tower, a museum or two and walk through the city.
2. What area in the Prote du Soleil is the best for beginner skiers?
3. Visiting Switzerland in this time, can you still visit attractions like the Jungfraujoch,
Matterhorn or is there a possibility of trains not operating due to heavy snowfalls?
Hope to hear from you soon!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Another tipping question: concierges
- 2 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 3 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 4 Acropolis Athens
- 5 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 6 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 7 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 8 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 9 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 10 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 11 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 12 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 13 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 14 We're here!
- 15 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 16 Trip Ideas
- 17 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 18 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 19 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 20 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 21 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 22 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 23 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 24 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 25 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!