I am a newbie on this forum and from South Africa.
I am planning a trip to Europe in the winter (8-29 January) of 2015 for 21 days to visit some places of interest and do some skiing in France. We (wife & I - both in early 30's) know it will be cold this time of the year, but we wanted this trip to be something different (I have never experienced real snow) and we have chosen this time due to lower number of tourists, cheaper flights & accommodation tariffs (or at least that is what we read up on). We will make sure to dress appropriately for these conditions.
The idea is to travel to France first and spend some time in Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and some other sites. We have allowed ourselves 3 days in the city. Then we want to head to the Porte du Soleil area (Morzine - Les Gets) to do some skiing (6 days). After the skiing, we want to go to Switzerland (4 days) to experience the Jungfrau, Matterhorn & take the Bernina/Glacier express to Tirano. Entering Italy (5-6 days), we want to head to Rome and also visit Naples.
We will depart from OR Thambo International airport in South Africa to Charles de Gaulle in Paris and fly out from Rome back home.
Here are a few questions to start off with:
1. I read somewhere that some attractions are not open during this time of year in Paris,
is this true? We wanted to visit the tower, a museum or two and walk through the city.
2. What area in the Prote du Soleil is the best for beginner skiers?
3. Visiting Switzerland in this time, can you still visit attractions like the Jungfraujoch,
Matterhorn or is there a possibility of trains not operating due to heavy snowfalls?
Hope to hear from you soon!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 2 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 3 Amsterdam and...?
- 4 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 5 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 6 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 7 US foods not available in the UK
- 8 Andalucia Spain
- 9 Whistle stop family road trip
- 10 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 11 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 12 Anyone have a pocket wifi for international travel?
- 13 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 14 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 15 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 16 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 17 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 18 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 19 Driving in Italy
- 20 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 21 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 22 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 23 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 24 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 25 Day trips from milano and torino december 2017