My partner and I are planning a 2 weeks trip to Switzerland and Italy in July-August and will be spending about a week in each country. We picked two bases in Italy; Milan and Rome but have yet to decide on the two bases in Switzerland. We are more or less settled with the itinerary in Italy but are having trouble for Switzerland and we hope any one of you could help us.
1) Our flight will arrive in Zurich in the afternoon, do we stay overnight or do we proceed straight to our first base? This is after about an 18 hours flight. We may be completely exhausted but we should be fine if the train ride takes only about an hour or two.
2) Places we would like to visit includes Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlis, Jungfraujoch, and also we don't mind taking casual hikes (at the Jungfrau Region? or any recommendations for this?) if the weather permits. If possible, we would also like to take one of the panorama trains (Bernina Express or Glacier Express?) or is the Jungfraujoch round trip sufficient?
That being said, should our first base be Lucerne and second, Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen /Grindelwald/Murren/Wengen? Not sure which of the second town we picked is easily accessible to our next destination, Milan.
3) We will need to get the train passes but are not sure which will be the best for us - to take a Swiss pass for Switzerland and Eurail pass for Italy OR just one Eurail pass to be used in both Switzerland and Italy.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona alternative
- 2 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 3 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 4 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 5 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 6 Iceland early december visit
- 7 Frankfurt to UK
- 8 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 9 God Save the Queen?
- 10 Road trip with our dog
- 11 Milan or Turin
- 12 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 13 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 14 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 15 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 16 9 Days in Spain
- 17 Paris to Italy
- 18 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 19 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 20 Visiting Plitivce National Park
- 21 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 22 Spanish Medical Providers
- 23 Italy Car Scam
- 24 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 25 Undiscovered Places in Paris