My partner and I are planning a 2 weeks trip to Switzerland and Italy in July-August and will be spending about a week in each country. We picked two bases in Italy; Milan and Rome but have yet to decide on the two bases in Switzerland. We are more or less settled with the itinerary in Italy but are having trouble for Switzerland and we hope any one of you could help us.
1) Our flight will arrive in Zurich in the afternoon, do we stay overnight or do we proceed straight to our first base? This is after about an 18 hours flight. We may be completely exhausted but we should be fine if the train ride takes only about an hour or two.
2) Places we would like to visit includes Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlis, Jungfraujoch, and also we don't mind taking casual hikes (at the Jungfrau Region? or any recommendations for this?) if the weather permits. If possible, we would also like to take one of the panorama trains (Bernina Express or Glacier Express?) or is the Jungfraujoch round trip sufficient?
That being said, should our first base be Lucerne and second, Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen /Grindelwald/Murren/Wengen? Not sure which of the second town we picked is easily accessible to our next destination, Milan.
3) We will need to get the train passes but are not sure which will be the best for us - to take a Swiss pass for Switzerland and Eurail pass for Italy OR just one Eurail pass to be used in both Switzerland and Italy.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 2 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 3 Travelogue: Copenhagen with Kids
- 4 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 5 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 6 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 7 visiting #hallstatt #Austria
- 8 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 9 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 10 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 11 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 12 Questions about Polish sights
- 13 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 14 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 15 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 16 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 17 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 18 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 19 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 20 Ireland travel passport question
- 21 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 22 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 23 Italy
- 24 Revised itinerary for italy
- 25 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?