My partner and I are planning a 2 weeks trip to Switzerland and Italy in July-August and will be spending about a week in each country. We picked two bases in Italy; Milan and Rome but have yet to decide on the two bases in Switzerland. We are more or less settled with the itinerary in Italy but are having trouble for Switzerland and we hope any one of you could help us.
1) Our flight will arrive in Zurich in the afternoon, do we stay overnight or do we proceed straight to our first base? This is after about an 18 hours flight. We may be completely exhausted but we should be fine if the train ride takes only about an hour or two.
2) Places we would like to visit includes Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlis, Jungfraujoch, and also we don't mind taking casual hikes (at the Jungfrau Region? or any recommendations for this?) if the weather permits. If possible, we would also like to take one of the panorama trains (Bernina Express or Glacier Express?) or is the Jungfraujoch round trip sufficient?
That being said, should our first base be Lucerne and second, Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen /Grindelwald/Murren/Wengen? Not sure which of the second town we picked is easily accessible to our next destination, Milan.
3) We will need to get the train passes but are not sure which will be the best for us - to take a Swiss pass for Switzerland and Eurail pass for Italy OR just one Eurail pass to be used in both Switzerland and Italy.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 2 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 3 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 4 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 5 3 days solo in London
- 6 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 7 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 8 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 9 Hotels in Turin
- 10 Help on ancient history route
- 11 Chania
- 12 Days to Avoid Roussillon, Gordes, etc.
- 13 Now to Madrid
- 14 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 15 Trip Report: The last hurrah? A fortnight in Lake Como
- 16 Village visit in Northern Italy
- 17 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 18 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 19 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 20 Sicily: which coast?
- 21 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 22 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 23 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 24 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 25 Edinbrugh