My partner and I are planning a 2 weeks trip to Switzerland and Italy in July-August and will be spending about a week in each country. We picked two bases in Italy; Milan and Rome but have yet to decide on the two bases in Switzerland. We are more or less settled with the itinerary in Italy but are having trouble for Switzerland and we hope any one of you could help us.
1) Our flight will arrive in Zurich in the afternoon, do we stay overnight or do we proceed straight to our first base? This is after about an 18 hours flight. We may be completely exhausted but we should be fine if the train ride takes only about an hour or two.
2) Places we would like to visit includes Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlis, Jungfraujoch, and also we don't mind taking casual hikes (at the Jungfrau Region? or any recommendations for this?) if the weather permits. If possible, we would also like to take one of the panorama trains (Bernina Express or Glacier Express?) or is the Jungfraujoch round trip sufficient?
That being said, should our first base be Lucerne and second, Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen /Grindelwald/Murren/Wengen? Not sure which of the second town we picked is easily accessible to our next destination, Milan.
3) We will need to get the train passes but are not sure which will be the best for us - to take a Swiss pass for Switzerland and Eurail pass for Italy OR just one Eurail pass to be used in both Switzerland and Italy.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Beaune France
- 2 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 3 advance tickets?
- 4 2 nights in the Montreux-Vevey-Lavaux area
- 5 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 6 38 Days in Paris
- 7 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 8 roadtrip from Barcelona to Madrid
- 9 A week in Paris
- 10 June Festivals in Lisbon?
- 11 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 12 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 13 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 14 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 15 car rental in Dubrovnik
- 16 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 17 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 18 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 19 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 20 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 21 Cordoba Overnight?
- 22 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 23 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 24 UZES & NIMES OR Orange & Châteauneuf du Pape
- 25 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?