In attempting to plan a trip this summer to Europe, I've hit a block in how to decide where to stay between Prague and Tellaro, Italia. My SO and I will be taking 2 weeks, either in June or August, to explore a bit on the continent we love, and also visit friends in northern Italy, near Milan. We have decided on Prague essentially because neither of us have been there but would like to go, or to the north western coast of Italy, hence Tellaro, which was also recommended by these friends near Milan. We will fly into Prague (probably) and out of Milan, and will take a train between the two. The question is, if we are to spend 3 or 4 days in Prague, and 4-ish days in northern Italy, where to spend the other 4 (if you discount 2 for travel days for trains? We will arrive on a Saturday, and leave on a Sunday, 2 weeks later. I am still not sold on going in August, as most people in Europe itself will be on vacation then I gather, but it would allow more time to save up PTO and $, though the weather will be better in June, I would think.
I have read some trip reports/itineraries and I think most people do a Vienna/Budapest/Prague/Munich trip, which would be great if SO hadn't already been to Vienna and Munich and would rather not go back to either this trip. I suppose we could train to Budapest and then to Milan, but I would like to hear from others if they think going through Switzerland might work as well. Is Zurich enough for 4 days? Are there other smaller towns you would recommend? Or is Budapest worth that time instead? We do like to hike, and may plan a day in the Alps with that friend near Milan. Or should we do a week in each place, and fly directly between Prague and Milan?
As background, we are both 24, fairly well traveled in Europe (I studied in London, he in Venice, but I have also spent multiple weeks in both Rome, Florence, and Paris and the Loire valley, been to Connemara in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Belgium, and Barcelona/Valencia, and he traveled extensively from Venice as a base during his semester, to Munich, Amsterdam, Berlin, various parts of Italy) He is fluent in Italian, I in nothing (sadly, I only have grammar school french, but working on it!...so American of me). I was lucky enough to travel extensively around northern Italy during my semester, so have spent time in Parma, at the Garda Sea, Piacenza, Milan, and drove across to Venice as well, which is why I am leaning toward the coast for this trip, where we hope to see some new things. I also like the idea of a contrast between the city and quieter coastline, though in August I'm not sure what we will get for crowds.
I adore architecture, history (was my major at college), museums, art. We love walking, are blooming foodies, listen to mainly jazz and classical. We don't really do the whole nightlife/club thing most people in their middle 20's like. Old souls, I suppose.
Gosh, that's a lot. If you've gotten this far, basically, I've just wondering where/how you would recommend spending those middle 4-5 days, and why. I've been reading on many of the boards recently, but obviously am a newbie, so let me know if this a ridiculously broad question.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 2 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 3 CANNES MONACO EZE
- 4 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 5 Itinerary help...
- 6 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 7 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 8 Shoes for little feet in Spain
- 9 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 10 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 11 3 weeks Spain w/ 2 kids under 5yrs in October
- 12 Where to buy nice soaps in Paris?
- 13 Lisbon or Cascais in July
- 14 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 15 Thalys ticket, please advice.
- 16 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 17 Italy Switzerland Croata Itinerary Help
- 18 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 19 A week in Paris
- 20 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 21 Help needed with Europe itinerary
- 22 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 23 2 week itinery
- 24 Is it still fun to visit Paris?
- 25 Getting from Positano to Rome