In attempting to plan a trip this summer to Europe, I've hit a block in how to decide where to stay between Prague and Tellaro, Italia. My SO and I will be taking 2 weeks, either in June or August, to explore a bit on the continent we love, and also visit friends in northern Italy, near Milan. We have decided on Prague essentially because neither of us have been there but would like to go, or to the north western coast of Italy, hence Tellaro, which was also recommended by these friends near Milan. We will fly into Prague (probably) and out of Milan, and will take a train between the two. The question is, if we are to spend 3 or 4 days in Prague, and 4-ish days in northern Italy, where to spend the other 4 (if you discount 2 for travel days for trains? We will arrive on a Saturday, and leave on a Sunday, 2 weeks later. I am still not sold on going in August, as most people in Europe itself will be on vacation then I gather, but it would allow more time to save up PTO and $, though the weather will be better in June, I would think.
I have read some trip reports/itineraries and I think most people do a Vienna/Budapest/Prague/Munich trip, which would be great if SO hadn't already been to Vienna and Munich and would rather not go back to either this trip. I suppose we could train to Budapest and then to Milan, but I would like to hear from others if they think going through Switzerland might work as well. Is Zurich enough for 4 days? Are there other smaller towns you would recommend? Or is Budapest worth that time instead? We do like to hike, and may plan a day in the Alps with that friend near Milan. Or should we do a week in each place, and fly directly between Prague and Milan?
As background, we are both 24, fairly well traveled in Europe (I studied in London, he in Venice, but I have also spent multiple weeks in both Rome, Florence, and Paris and the Loire valley, been to Connemara in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Belgium, and Barcelona/Valencia, and he traveled extensively from Venice as a base during his semester, to Munich, Amsterdam, Berlin, various parts of Italy) He is fluent in Italian, I in nothing (sadly, I only have grammar school french, but working on it!...so American of me). I was lucky enough to travel extensively around northern Italy during my semester, so have spent time in Parma, at the Garda Sea, Piacenza, Milan, and drove across to Venice as well, which is why I am leaning toward the coast for this trip, where we hope to see some new things. I also like the idea of a contrast between the city and quieter coastline, though in August I'm not sure what we will get for crowds.
I adore architecture, history (was my major at college), museums, art. We love walking, are blooming foodies, listen to mainly jazz and classical. We don't really do the whole nightlife/club thing most people in their middle 20's like. Old souls, I suppose.
Gosh, that's a lot. If you've gotten this far, basically, I've just wondering where/how you would recommend spending those middle 4-5 days, and why. I've been reading on many of the boards recently, but obviously am a newbie, so let me know if this a ridiculously broad question.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss Travel Pass
- 2 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 3 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 4 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 5 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 6 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 7 We're here!
- 8 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 9 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 10 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 11 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 12 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 13 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 14 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 15 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
- 16 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 17 How to best reach the Lofoten Islands from Oslo, Norway? (four day trip)
- 18 AIR BERLIN SALE
- 19 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 20 Train help for Prague
- 21 driving from prague to salzburg
- 22 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 23 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 24 Germany train help!
- 25 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!