Flying into Milan on October 3 for a two week trip to Italy. The plan so far: upon arrival, take a train to Venice, where we will spend 2-3 days. Then train down to Florence. Hope to spend some time in Tuscany and see Florence at the same time (3-4 days, perhaps). Then down to Naples (again, by train). Use Naples as a base for day trips...Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, maybe Capri, then back up to Rome, where we are catching our flight back to the States. My questions:
Is this itinerary too aggressive?
Should we buy a Eurail pass for 3-4 days, or just buy train tickets as needed. Do we need to make reservations in advance for October?
Should I rent a car in Tuscany (if so, I know not to drive it into Florence) and Naples, or rely on buses and/or organized day tour packages (if such exist in October)?
Thanks, in advance, for the advice. I'm sure I'll post again after pouring through previous posts re: attractions and accommodations, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 travel fan 220v?
- 2 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 3 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 4 Camogli and surrounds
- 5 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 6 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 7 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 8 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 9 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 10 Palermo Apartment
- 11 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 12 Barcelona - places to stay
- 13 Need advice on Seville-Tarifa/Tangier-Malaga itinerary
- 14 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 15 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 16 SKIP THE LINE TICKETS TO VERSAILLES AND LOUVRE
- 17 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 18 Europe in October!
- 19 B&Bs in Ireland
- 20 Help me choose between two hotels in the Lot
- 21 Moldova and Transnistria
- 22 What is the best flight itinerary from Los Angeles to Granada, Spain
- 23 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 24 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 25 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France