Flying into Milan on October 3 for a two week trip to Italy. The plan so far: upon arrival, take a train to Venice, where we will spend 2-3 days. Then train down to Florence. Hope to spend some time in Tuscany and see Florence at the same time (3-4 days, perhaps). Then down to Naples (again, by train). Use Naples as a base for day trips...Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, maybe Capri, then back up to Rome, where we are catching our flight back to the States. My questions:
Is this itinerary too aggressive?
Should we buy a Eurail pass for 3-4 days, or just buy train tickets as needed. Do we need to make reservations in advance for October?
Should I rent a car in Tuscany (if so, I know not to drive it into Florence) and Naples, or rely on buses and/or organized day tour packages (if such exist in October)?
Thanks, in advance, for the advice. I'm sure I'll post again after pouring through previous posts re: attractions and accommodations, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 2 Arriving 23:35 at Marco Polo
- 3 Athens, Greece--transfer from airport to downtown hotel
- 4 Where To Buy Caffeine Capsules/Pills In Nice, France
- 5 Airtrain from Zurich to Basel info needed
- 6 Macedonia, Greece
- 7 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 8 3 weeks in Norway and Sweden. Comments, advice please!
- 9 Suggested Itinerary Low Countries, Scotland, Enfland Lake district
- 10 Scotland - Hiking - Fort William or Isle of Skye
- 11 Paris Side Trip: Mont St Michel & Cancale
- 12 Anybody rented from Allure-Apart?
- 13 Breakfast: London
- 14 Europe Itinerary
- 15 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 16 Iceland & Scotland in 7 days: What to do?
- 17 The highlands
- 18 Loch Ewe in NW Scotland...anyone been?
- 19 April 8 - 16, 1 country, 1 male, the best choice?
- 20 Amsterdam - My Favorite Things!
- 21 Rhine River
- 22 June '17-Verona Piedmont Liguria?
- 23 Travel plan help in Germany
- 24 Norwway trip report
- 25 Mysterious EuropCar charge 4.5 months after turning in car