Flying into Milan on October 3 for a two week trip to Italy. The plan so far: upon arrival, take a train to Venice, where we will spend 2-3 days. Then train down to Florence. Hope to spend some time in Tuscany and see Florence at the same time (3-4 days, perhaps). Then down to Naples (again, by train). Use Naples as a base for day trips...Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, maybe Capri, then back up to Rome, where we are catching our flight back to the States. My questions:
Is this itinerary too aggressive?
Should we buy a Eurail pass for 3-4 days, or just buy train tickets as needed. Do we need to make reservations in advance for October?
Should I rent a car in Tuscany (if so, I know not to drive it into Florence) and Naples, or rely on buses and/or organized day tour packages (if such exist in October)?
Thanks, in advance, for the advice. I'm sure I'll post again after pouring through previous posts re: attractions and accommodations, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
2 Weeks in Italy in early October
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 2 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 3 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 4 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 5 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 6 American Express
- 7 Airport ATMs
- 8 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 9 Bayonne or St Jean de Luz
- 10 Three ferries to Mull
- 11 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 12 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 13 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 14 Christmas markets: E Germany, Poland, Prague
- 15 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 16 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 17 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 18 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 19 All Set To Go!!
- 20 Our October trip to Andalucia!
- 21 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 22 Accommodations in or near Brussels with parking
- 23 DIRECT trains from Rome FCO Airport to Venice start 12/14/2014
- 24 Rome, Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence
- 25 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?