Flying into Milan on October 3 for a two week trip to Italy. The plan so far: upon arrival, take a train to Venice, where we will spend 2-3 days. Then train down to Florence. Hope to spend some time in Tuscany and see Florence at the same time (3-4 days, perhaps). Then down to Naples (again, by train). Use Naples as a base for day trips...Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, maybe Capri, then back up to Rome, where we are catching our flight back to the States. My questions:
Is this itinerary too aggressive?
Should we buy a Eurail pass for 3-4 days, or just buy train tickets as needed. Do we need to make reservations in advance for October?
Should I rent a car in Tuscany (if so, I know not to drive it into Florence) and Naples, or rely on buses and/or organized day tour packages (if such exist in October)?
Thanks, in advance, for the advice. I'm sure I'll post again after pouring through previous posts re: attractions and accommodations, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
2 Weeks in Italy in early October
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 2 Reykjavik hotels
- 3 Taking a group to Istanbul: need advice
- 4 I dream of Europe
- 5 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 6 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 7 First Time to UK since 2001
- 8 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 9 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 10 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 11 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 12 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 13 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 14 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 15 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 16 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 17 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 18 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 19 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 20 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 21 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 22 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 23 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 24 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 25 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014