I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 대박경정ఝ¬↑ ＫＯ５５０.ZE.AM ↓¬య대박경정
- 2 Paris hotels
- 3 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 4 1 month in Europe
- 5 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 6 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 7 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 8 Is winter nice season to visit Hallstatt, Austria ?
- 9 Back from Paris
- 10 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 11 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 12 10 days in Paris and......
- 13 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 14 LIsbon
- 15 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 16 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 17 London Hotels
- 18 Iceland in 7 days.
- 19 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 20 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 21 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 22 Luggage Storage
- 23 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 24 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 25 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition