I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 LHR Connection Time and Fast Track
- 2 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 3 Best Neck Pillow
- 4 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 5 Using RenaultUSA.com
- 6 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 7 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 8 barcelona neighborhood
- 9 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 10 How to spend 6 days in Stockholm ?
- 11 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 12 Tracking the Weather
- 13 Italy travel plan help
- 14 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 15 A bit overwhelmed!!!
- 16 Alsace to Austria?
- 17 road trip through scotland
- 18 NOTICE: Disruption on the railway line Mannheim-Basel
- 19 Wales
- 20 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 21 Tieks for travel
- 22 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 23 Where to eat in Rome?
- 24 Thinking about the Fjords
- 25 Posting Packages from Central Europe