I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 2 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 3 Spanish food - not that special?
- 4 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 5 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 6 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 7 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 8 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 9 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 10 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 11 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 12 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 13 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 14 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 15 Taking Renfe's FAVA Train Across Northern Spain?
- 16 Chania
- 17 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 18 Car rental in Santorini port
- 19 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 20 Renting a car in Greece
- 21 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 22 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 23 renting a car in greece
- 24 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 25 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train