I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece in 15 Days
- 2 Iphone Charger in a Car in Europe?
- 3 Naples or Genoa
- 4 BNL machines in Italy
- 5 Tour ideas for Malaga, Spain
- 6 Age requirement for hotels in Europe
- 7 BNL ATMs
- 8 Spring Spain Itinerary
- 9 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 10 Planning Advice!
- 11 Driving Vespa's in Florence
- 12 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 13 How to divide 4 weeks of lakes and mountains with kids in Italy?
- 14 Wine Harvest in Italy 2016 - when?
- 15 A very late conclusion to Solo Christmas/December trip - Paris
- 16 Our European adventures
- 17 Crete (and Santorini ) Trip Report
- 18 Scotland November 2015
- 19 1 day trip from Nice
- 20 Norway holiday locations
- 21 NORMANDY TRIPS (+ Madrid)
- 22 Help with itinerary
- 23 Banks Mansion Amsterdam hotel
- 24 Calling Flamenco fans including Kimhe
- 25 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?