I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 2 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 3 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 4 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 5 Super Cover For Hertz
- 6 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 7 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 8 4 days itinerary for France
- 9 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 10 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 11 Is it worth it to drive into Positano...& Amalfi Coast by land or sea?
- 12 When to Visit Scotland
- 13 Where to buy Saffron?
- 14 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 15 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 16 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 17 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 18 House Hunting in France
- 19 Itinerary Tweaking
- 20 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 21 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 22 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 23 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 24 Driving in Italy?
- 25 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours