I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 countries to visit in October and November
- 2 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
- 3 Staying on Ile de la Cite
- 4 Rome Hotel: Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona?
- 5 Montpellier to Arles
- 6 Crazy Question regarding Flat Iron usage in Europe
- 7 Parma and Matova/Mantua - car rental
- 8 Italy: your favorite national park?
- 9 Hotels in St Germain Paris
- 10 Mysterious EuropCar charge 4.5 months after turning in car
- 11 3 weeks in Norway and Sweden. Comments, advice please!
- 12 Paris GTG 9/29-10/5?
- 13 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 14 Group wine tasting in Alsace
- 15 20 days in Greece
- 16 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 17 Return hire car to Athens airport early tomorrow morning
- 18 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 19 Sightseeing Around Belgrade, Serbia
- 20 Catalonia: 14 days in September
- 21 Macedonia, Greece
- 22 Berlin to Barcelona
- 23 Online checked in, how early should we be at the airport?
- 24 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 25 Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart in No Man's Land