I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 2 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 3 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 4 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 5 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 6 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 7 Rouen Tour Companies
- 8 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 9 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 10 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 11 CDG much improved
- 12 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 13 Ronda Wine/biking
- 14 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 15 Italy bus or train
- 16 Ireland itinerary help please
- 17 May get together in Paris
- 18 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 19 Best neighborhood for first timer to Lisbon, Portugal
- 20 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 21 Naples/The Amalfi Coast...and Sicily?
- 22 Canal du Midi
- 23 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 24 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 25 Perugia