I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 2 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 3 visa appointment experience
- 4 First Trip to Europe!
- 5 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
- 6 Switzerland in mid-April
- 7 What to take to Germany
- 8 Rue des Rosiers
- 9 Paris Under Seige...
- 10 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 11 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 12 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 13 Scotland Trip
- 14 Cinque Terre Hiking Trails?
- 15 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 16 Bergen/Tromso/Lofoten
- 17 Hamam Istanbul?
- 18 How to go from bergen train station to bergen airport?
- 19 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 20 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 21 Pyrenees villages sth of Lourdes
- 22 16 night honeymoon in Spain
- 23 2 adults & 2 kids in a hotel room in Iceland?
- 24 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 25 Malta - 4 days before Cristmas