I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy/ Sicily - Help with area west of Palermo
- 2 Flamenco concerts in Madrid
- 3 France for a month in 2017
- 4 Swiss: 9 day trip
- 5 RENFE error message during payment
- 6 http://freecracksunlimited.com/virtualdj-crack-download/
- 7 Vuerling airlines
- 8 More Info >>> http://yoursantiagingcream.com/nuvagen-cream/
- 9 http://freecracksunlimited.com/virtualdj-crack-download/
- 10 Provins as a day trip from Paris
- 11 Flaminco recommendations for Seville September 29 to October 1
- 12 http://rxtestosteronesite.com/mastique-avis/
- 13 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 14 Books and Films about/set in Southern Italy
- 15 Paris restaurants in/near 12th arr.
- 16 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 17 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 18 Venice Film Fest
- 19 Europe itinerary
- 20 Berlin/Prague/Vienna/Budapest
- 21 All of Spain or something else..?
- 22 10 Days in Spain is this do-able or nuts?
- 23 Poland, Czech, Slovak Summer Holiday
- 24 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium and France
- 25 Four favorite things to do in Paris during the Christmas holidays