I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting from Ravello to Venice
- 2 London best location
- 3 14 nights france and Italy with kids - Help fine tuning the itinerary
- 4 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 5 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 6 Croatia with trips to Mostar & Bay of Kotar
- 7 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 8 Train from Charles de Gaulle
- 9 Transportation Question Italy
- 10 Ger's September 2014 Trip Report to Galicia and Portugal
- 11 Cinqueterre
- 12 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 13 London Restaurants
- 14 Train tickets in Italy?
- 15 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 16 13 nights in Portugal...need tuning !
- 17 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 18 Corsica
- 19 17 days in England
- 20 VENICE
- 21 Norway travel help: Bergen-Gjendesheim-Oslo
- 22 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 23 Transportation Tips/Advice for Spain (itinerary included)
- 24 1 week in andalusia in early June - suggestions please
- 25 An Introduction to French Wines...