I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Verdun ceremonies -- 100th anniversary of the battle
- 2 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 3 Solo backpacking for 5 weeks
- 4 Cost of Van from CDG
- 5 3-ish Countries in 3 Weeks?
- 6 Ireland - Northern or Western
- 7 Croatian islands
- 8 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 9 Walking GPS?
- 10 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 11 One Way... trust or bust?
- 12 To St. Pancras at stupid-o'clock: how would you do it?
- 13 London theatre fans: advance info about Globe productions?
- 14 Pure Forskolin XT @ http://fornatgaex.com/pure-forskolin-xt-reviews/
- 15 How best to spend a long day in Warnemunde
- 16 Fake police scam in Budapest
- 17 12 days in the Italian Lakes
- 18 However, once you've gotten
- 19 After Mass, on a Sunday, in Rome
- 20 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 21 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 22 Girls trip - Lisbon
- 23 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 24 July 2-5, 2012 Int'l Philosphy Conference at Assos, Turkey (near Troy)
- 25 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans