I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 2 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 3 Itinerary help for 2 weeks vacation
- 4 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 5 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 6 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 7 10 days in Italy with 5 and 10 year olds in July
- 8 I have six days in Spain - where should I go?
- 9 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 10 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 11 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 12 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal
- 13 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 14 London Pass vs. OysterCard,or get both?
- 15 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 16 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 17 Ireland Trip Itenary
- 18 Alitalia - Groundhog Day?
- 19 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 20 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 21 dinner jackets
- 22 2 weeks Europe trip
- 23 London Pass vs. OysterCard,or get both?
- 24 Itinerary Help Needed. 8 Days in Greece~
- 25 Can i camp anywhere in Iceland?