My husband and I along with two other couples in our mid-40s will be visiting Greece for 18 days in October 2014; two of which will be travel days and possibly 1 jet lag day upon arrival to Greece. My husband and I travel frequently, but this will be our first trip to Greece and we would like to see and enjoy the highlights of Greece without jumping around too much…don’t like to pack and unpack several times on a vacation.
From what I hear and read, a trip to Greece is not complete without a visit to Santorini so I definitely want to include that into my itinerary. We will be flying from Texas to Athens and staying in the Vouliagmeni area for 7 nights and then I was hoping to stay in Santorini for 4 nights and then back to Athens(same location) for an additional 4 nights before flying back to the US. However, there are a number of places that are not located in Athens that we would like to visit so I’m curious to know if one day trips would suffice and allow us time without feeling exhausted. In my research I’ve seen there are plenty 1-2 day trips from Athens that are available and they visit a lot of places in that one day, but I’m curious to know if that is sufficient time to appreciate what we are seeing. Once we visit a particular place, we like to learn and enjoy as much as possible so that there’s no need to go back. We like to have several days within a 2 week vacation to just chill and enjoy our surroundings with no planned tours, etc. We are not beach people per say, but we do love to go to the beach just to see the beautiful ocean/sea...we're not too much into museums but do enjoy the history, we love to try different food and we love beautiful sceneries. We love to relax on vacation but at the same time hit the highlights and get off the beaten path at times…balance is very important. We plan to stay in Santorini for 4 nights in between our Athens stay but have not booked the hotel yet so I’m curious to know if we should just stay 2 nights in Santorini and maybe just stay in the Peloponnese area for the other two nights. We want to be near the airport for our departure day.
Here are some of the things we would like to visit/do while in Athens and I solicit any advice to help determine if this is possible and enjoyable allowing us time to explore, relax and sometimes get off of the beaten path: Meteora (Kalambaka) Corinth, Delphi, Peloponnese area, would like a good one day island tour(s). We will also visit several places in Athens, but I’m just looking for advice on how to maneuver to the other places around Athens. Again, we like to have tour free days as well.
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated…sorry to be so long, just wanted to include as much info as possible.
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Preliminary Scotland itinerary late September 2017
- 2 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 3 8 days in Spain.. mostly Barcelona, where else should we go
- 4 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands
- 5 Driving in Portugal with car rented in Spain
- 6 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 7 help with Italy itinerary
- 8 Spain or Portugal for a Beach Vacation?
- 9 Layover, not get on connecting flight
- 10 Barcelona with baby
- 11 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 12 Advice 10 day Itinerary Ireland
- 13 Good location for Paris apartment?
- 14 Norway fjord
- 15 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 16 Stresa (town), Italy - things to do?
- 17 Itinerary help Germany/Austria/Dolomites
- 18 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 19 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 20 Andalusia with kids What should they read before we visit?
- 21 5 countries in 5 weeks - family trip
- 22 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 23 Pre-Bookings in London?
- 24 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 25 Capri in July