My husband and I along with two other couples in our mid-40s will be visiting Greece for 18 days in October 2014; two of which will be travel days and possibly 1 jet lag day upon arrival to Greece. My husband and I travel frequently, but this will be our first trip to Greece and we would like to see and enjoy the highlights of Greece without jumping around too much…don’t like to pack and unpack several times on a vacation.
From what I hear and read, a trip to Greece is not complete without a visit to Santorini so I definitely want to include that into my itinerary. We will be flying from Texas to Athens and staying in the Vouliagmeni area for 7 nights and then I was hoping to stay in Santorini for 4 nights and then back to Athens(same location) for an additional 4 nights before flying back to the US. However, there are a number of places that are not located in Athens that we would like to visit so I’m curious to know if one day trips would suffice and allow us time without feeling exhausted. In my research I’ve seen there are plenty 1-2 day trips from Athens that are available and they visit a lot of places in that one day, but I’m curious to know if that is sufficient time to appreciate what we are seeing. Once we visit a particular place, we like to learn and enjoy as much as possible so that there’s no need to go back. We like to have several days within a 2 week vacation to just chill and enjoy our surroundings with no planned tours, etc. We are not beach people per say, but we do love to go to the beach just to see the beautiful ocean/sea...we're not too much into museums but do enjoy the history, we love to try different food and we love beautiful sceneries. We love to relax on vacation but at the same time hit the highlights and get off the beaten path at times…balance is very important. We plan to stay in Santorini for 4 nights in between our Athens stay but have not booked the hotel yet so I’m curious to know if we should just stay 2 nights in Santorini and maybe just stay in the Peloponnese area for the other two nights. We want to be near the airport for our departure day.
Here are some of the things we would like to visit/do while in Athens and I solicit any advice to help determine if this is possible and enjoyable allowing us time to explore, relax and sometimes get off of the beaten path: Meteora (Kalambaka) Corinth, Delphi, Peloponnese area, would like a good one day island tour(s). We will also visit several places in Athens, but I’m just looking for advice on how to maneuver to the other places around Athens. Again, we like to have tour free days as well.
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated…sorry to be so long, just wanted to include as much info as possible.
Thanks so much!
2 Weeks in Greece in early October for group of 6
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best days to fly
- 2 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 3 Better to rent a car in Venice or Padua?
- 4 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 5 Questions about Rome, Venice, Florence, Positano and Paris
- 6 April in Madrid
- 7 Trip Report: My Encounter With the Italian Hospital System
- 8 Shuttle Inter prices?
- 9 Mâché aux Puces from Garibaldi metro
- 10 La Vacanza (quasi) perfetta - Rome and Barcelona Trip Report
- 11 Euro Quiz # 65 (Friday)
- 12 September Trip to Normandy/Brittany/Paris
- 13 Palenque's Scenic Swiss Trains
- 14 Tuscan cooking school
- 15 10-12 nights in Switzerland and France
- 16 Mt. Nemrut - Kahta side - in April ???
- 17 Naples to Milan, train or plane?
- 18 4 days in Scotland
- 19 Barcellona hop on hop off bus tour
- 20 Airb2b in Paris
- 21 SE Turkey how safe in Harran, Sanliurfa, Mardin ?
- 22 Porto Moniz south along the coast to Ribeira Brava ~ should we add?
- 23 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 24 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 25 Help with tour of Norway please.