I'm a first-time Europe traveller and I am seeking some help for my itinerary. I am a 23 year old female who will be traveling with 2 other 23 year old females (one also a first-timer, the other not, all three pretty avid travelers in the States).
We are hoping to see Ireland, Scotland, and England. We are planning the trip for August, which we know may not be the ideal time, but it works for us with vacation days so we're seizing the opportunity. (So please don't suggest a different month).
We are some-what flexible for dates. We are hoping to leave around the 8th or 9th of August and return sometime in the week of 23rd. We need to be back for sure by the 26th for a wedding. So there's potential to stretch the trip a couple of days (i.e. 16/17 days instead of 14).
What is the best route to take if we are hoping to see those three countries? Major cities we hope to see are Dublin, Edinburgh, and London.
Does it make more sense to fly to London from the U.S., travel by train to Edinburgh, and then fly to Dublin -- fly home? If we are hoping to see some of the countryside in Ireland or Scotland, what is the best suggestion there? Should we rent a car? What stops should we see and what should be miss? What are experiences on day trips that are guided? We are more of solo travelers looking for authentic experiences, might not be super excited about a group tour bus trip so helpful hints to avoid that would be great.
Open to any suggestions about places to stay (budget friendly!) or things to do. Honestly, we would just like some help for a realistic route since we aren't familiar with Europe travel. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 2 Naples, Italy
- 3 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 4 Engadine Valley help
- 5 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 6 Tuscany 6 nights
- 7 Ireland travel passport question
- 8 Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
- 9 French restaurants
- 10 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 11 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 12 New Year's Eve in Paris:at the Champs Elysees
- 13 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 14 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 15 Planning a European Trip
- 16 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 17 France & Italy, May or June
- 18 Ireland trip planning recommendations - March
- 19 Best travelling Dordogne to Barcelona?
- 20 Scotland - Highlands in May or June?
- 21 San Sebastian
- 22 Charming hotel in a village along the Rhine?
- 23 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 24 Lisbon trip report
- 25 restaurants in Marais district