I have been trying to create a trip itinerary for my 2 week trip to France this summer. I fly in to Paris in the middle of July and will be renting a car for two weeks. Just to give you some more background, I rarely stay in any city (regardless of how big and great) for more than 2 nights. I was recently able to visit a large portion of Spain and Portugal in a two week period and during that trip, Rhonda and Toledo were my favourite cities by far. I stumbled upon your response to a blog from a while back where you ordered your favourite cities / towns in France as follows:
Cities with a population greater than 85,000
6. Avignon* or **
Cities with a population greater than 10,000 but less than 85,000
7. Annecy* or **
10. La Rochelle*
16. St Malo
During my research, it had seemed that Annecy seemed as one of the most exciting towns to see yet you have it so far down on your list. You also stated that "when ordering these cities, we did not consider the “setting” of a city, like the beach at Nice or the lake at Annecy." To me the setting of the city is important. For example, you can't beat a cute mountain town such as Innsbruck.
Anyway, I was hoping you could help give some ideas of a trip Itinerary considering I can probably cover a lot more ground than your average traveller. Some other cities that caught my eye close to the France border was Murten and Gruyeres Switzerland. Last but not least, the only place I have already been to in France is Nice and the surrounding area, Monaco, etc. and I would rather see other places I have not been to yet.
Please help me Stu!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Milos beach stay
- 2 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 3 Help me choose between two hotels in the Lot
- 4 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 5 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 6 Catching the train - best stop off from Tirano to St Moritz
- 7 SPAIN, FRANCE, ITALY, SWITZERLAND
- 8 Driving in Wales
- 9 Best train from Amsterdam to Paris via Germany
- 10 Christmas Markets 2017
- 11 PRAGUE-TOP 10 THINGS TO DO
- 12 Traveling in Belgium
- 13 SURPRISE TRIP
- 14 Need advice. To Drive or not in Poland
- 15 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 16 Suggestions for fall trip to Brittany
- 17 One day around Lake Brienz
- 18 Bayeux Restaurants
- 19 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 20 Booking.com trustworthy?
- 21 Best Viking Sites
- 22 Language to use in Belgium
- 23 US AARP discounts in Europe
- 24 Euro road trip – looking for advice please
- 25 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)