This would be my first post ever on a travel forum. I am a PhD student studying near Chicago, USA. I am very excited about all the useful suggestions I might get from you. I am currently planning my second backpacking trip to Europe. On my first trip, I visited Spain, Portugal and Italy during the Christmas/New Year period in 2012/13 for 2 weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I am someone who loves meeting new people, learning about their lives and visiting historic places. I tend to avoid crowds as much as I can. That's one reason I like to travel in the winter. I know it will be cold but nowhere near as Cold as it gets in Wisconsin/Chicago. Now, I want to do another 2-week trip to Europe.
My plan is to visit 4 Central/Eastern European cities & Istanbul, spending about 2-3 days in each city. Here's the plan:
Jan 1-2, 2016 -> Fly into Vienna from Chicago. Arrive evening of Jan 2(Saturday). Spend next 2 days in Vienna
Jan 5 -> Take a 6 hour day train to Ljubljana. Spend next 2 days in Ljubljana/Lake Bled
Jan 8 -> Take a 8 hour day train to Budapest. Spend next 2 days in Budapest.
Jan 10-11 -> Take an overnight train to Krakow. Spend 3 days there, one of them in Auschwitz (really looking forward to Auschwitz)
Jan 14 -> Take a day train to Warsaw, immediately followed by a flight to Istanbul the same day
Jan 17 -> Take a flight back to Chicago to Istanbul on Sunday afternoon
The reason I plan to start my trip on Jan 1 is the cost of flight tickets. Ideally, I would start the trip on Dec 18 and end on Jan 3. But that seems like high season going by the air fares. If I start on Jan 1, I am getting a 850$ itinerary for CHI-VIE, WAW-IST, IST-CHI.
Do you think there are any holes in my plan? Am I spending too little time somewhere I should be spending more time in? I do want to visit 5 cities at least. On my last 2-week trip, I travelled to 7 cities. It was too much, so I want to stick to 5 this time.
Do you think I am covering enough diversity of central/Eastern Europe in this trip?
Any other suggestions are welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 2 Spanish Language Immersion for young teenager in SPAIN
- 3 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 4 If you had to choose one......
- 5 HELP PLEASE! Skiing in Zermatt this March
- 6 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 7 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 8 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 9 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 10 Beginning Itinerary Guidance
- 11 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 12 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 13 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 14 Croatia and Montenegro Itinerary
- 15 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 16 1 week in winter. Where to go?
- 17 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 18 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 19 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 20 Sicily
- 21 Gertie in Greece NOW
- 22 Driver/Car Service Recommendation FCO- Pienza
- 23 car for four adults and four bikes
- 24 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 25 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017