My husband and I will be visiting England next May 2017 for about 2 weeks. We will have 18 days total, which includes travel days - so really about 15 or 16 days to have fun with. We were originally planning for 3 full weeks, but husband has a new job and we can only take vacation for 2 weeks instead of 3. It has been harder than I anticipated cutting out places from our original itinerary - this is why I need your help! We haven't booked our flights yet, so the itinerary is still very flexible (hoping to purchase flights in the next 1-2 months). Here is the proposed itinerary.
Quick description about us: We like a mix of city and outdoors. We don't want to see too many "sites" - would like to spend more time having experiences like staying overnight in a castle, hot air balloon ride, cooking classes, hiking, attending a sporting event, going to a theater, horseback riding, etc.
Day 1 - Wednesday, May 17: Flight - USA to London
Day 2 - Thursday, May 18: Arrive in London, Partial Day London, Overnight London
Day 3 - Friday, May 19: Full Day London, Overnight London
Day 4 - Saturday, May 20: Full Day London, Overnight London
Day 5 - Sunday, May 21: Tour from London to Stonehenge (inner circle sunrise viewing) to Bath, Overnight Bath
Day 6 - Monday, May 22: Explore Bath/Wells/Cotswolds, Overnight Bath
Day 7 - Tuesday, May 23: Rent car, drive from Bath to Tintern Abbey to Ludlow, Overnight Ludlow
Day 8 - Wednesday, May 24: Drive to Manchester, Overnight Manchester (visiting family)
Day 9 - Thursday, May 25: Full Day Manchester, Overnight Manchester (visiting family)
Day 10 - Friday, May 26: Drive to Lake District, Overnight Lake District
Day 11 - Saturday, May 27: Full Day Lake District, Overnight Lake District
Day 12 - Sunday, May 28: Drive to York, Overnight York
Day 13 - Monday, May 29: Partial Day York, Train to Edinburgh, Overnight Edinburgh
Day 14 - Tuesday, May 30: Highlands Tour with Rabies
Day 15 - Wednesday, May 31: Highlands Tour with Rabies
Day 16 - Thursday, June 1: Highlands Tour with Rabies, Overnight in Edinburgh
Day 17 - Friday, June 2: Full Day in Edinburgh, Overnight Edinburgh
Day 18 - Saturday, June 3: Flight - Edinburgh to USA
Do the above dates seems like a good time to visit? We can push the trip up earlier or later in the month if needed.
Do we need a rental car for Day 6?
Will we have enough time in Ludlow to enjoy it on Day 7?
Is there a scenic route through Wales on Day 8 from Ludlow to Manchester?
On Day 12, what is the best way to get from Lake District to York? Could we drive through Yorkshire Dales National Park and drop our rental car off in York? Or is it better to take a train into York?
Would York be better as a day trip from Manchester?
In your opinion, are we moving around too much?
Would you cut any of these places out and stay longer somewhere else?
Some places that I would love to add to my itinerary (but not sure there is time): Beachy Head Cliffs, Snowdonia, more of Wales, - any ideas how we can add some of these places in? Would you drop anything from the itinerary and substitute with any of these places?
Thanks so much for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 PANDA@ ANTIVIRUS Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Technical SUPP0RT Care
- 2 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 3 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 4 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 5 Scotland
- 6 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 7 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 8 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 9 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 10 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 11 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 12 Maximizing Norway time
- 13 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 14 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 15 Studying art in English in venice
- 16 Berlin to ?
- 17 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 18 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 19 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 20 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
- 21 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 22 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 23 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 24 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 25 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa