My husband and I are traveling to Spain for the first time this June. Flying into Barcelona. 3 nights in Barcelona, then driving to San Sebastian. We want to spend 2 nights on the road through the Pyrenees so that we can take the most scenic route. Then 2 nights in San Sebastian. Finally, 1 night in Bilbao before flying out.
I have spent a lot of time reading through posts in this forum about driving itineraries in the Pyrenees. Many of you have provided such wonderful advice! Now I am hoping to receive some thoughts on our specific itinerary.
1 - Based on previous posts, we are very interested in visiting Salardu and staying at Hotel Mauberme. This will be our first stop. What is the most scenic route from Barcelona to Salardu? Via Michelin "Discovery Route" recommends: heading NW to Manresa, C-55 to Solsona, C-26 to C-14, C-14 to N-260, north on C-13 at Sort, then finally NW on C-28 to Salardu. 5hr55min driving time. Google Maps says 4hr30min for this same route??
2 - After reading replies on the following thread, we are interested in taking this route through the Atlantic Pyrenees and Baztan Valley: Jaca - Ochagavia - Espinal - Zubiri - Elizondo - Lesaka - San Sebastian-Donostia.
I've read that this route, Jaca - San Sebastian is 5 hrs without stops. Jaca seems to be about 3 hrs from Salardu. So my question is...thinking about this route, where should our next overnight be inbetween Salardu and San Sebastian? Perhaps somewhere between Jaca and Ochagavia? (I have seen Anso and Isaba mentioned many times, although slightly off-route.)
3 - Is this driving route too ambitious for only 2 nights on the road? I also read the recommendation to drive from Salardu north to Pau, France, then west to San Sebastian. We are open to going through France, however I like the descriptions I've read of the Atlantic Pyrenees and Baztan Valley drive.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 2 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 3 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 4 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 5 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 6 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 7 Planning A trip
- 8 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 9 Driving through Paris
- 10 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 11 Watch Full Empire Season 4 Episode 4 s04e04 Online
- 12 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 13 Watch-Full Empire Season 4 Episode 4 s04e04 Online. watch
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 16 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 17 Bruges
- 18 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 21 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 22 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 23 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 24 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 25 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
2 Nights in the Pyrenees: Driving Barcelona to San Sebastian