My husband and I are traveling to Spain for the first time this June. Flying into Barcelona. 3 nights in Barcelona, then driving to San Sebastian. We want to spend 2 nights on the road through the Pyrenees so that we can take the most scenic route. Then 2 nights in San Sebastian. Finally, 1 night in Bilbao before flying out.
I have spent a lot of time reading through posts in this forum about driving itineraries in the Pyrenees. Many of you have provided such wonderful advice! Now I am hoping to receive some thoughts on our specific itinerary.
1 - Based on previous posts, we are very interested in visiting Salardu and staying at Hotel Mauberme. This will be our first stop. What is the most scenic route from Barcelona to Salardu? Via Michelin "Discovery Route" recommends: heading NW to Manresa, C-55 to Solsona, C-26 to C-14, C-14 to N-260, north on C-13 at Sort, then finally NW on C-28 to Salardu. 5hr55min driving time. Google Maps says 4hr30min for this same route??
2 - After reading replies on the following thread, we are interested in taking this route through the Atlantic Pyrenees and Baztan Valley: Jaca - Ochagavia - Espinal - Zubiri - Elizondo - Lesaka - San Sebastian-Donostia.
I've read that this route, Jaca - San Sebastian is 5 hrs without stops. Jaca seems to be about 3 hrs from Salardu. So my question is...thinking about this route, where should our next overnight be inbetween Salardu and San Sebastian? Perhaps somewhere between Jaca and Ochagavia? (I have seen Anso and Isaba mentioned many times, although slightly off-route.)
3 - Is this driving route too ambitious for only 2 nights on the road? I also read the recommendation to drive from Salardu north to Pau, France, then west to San Sebastian. We are open to going through France, however I like the descriptions I've read of the Atlantic Pyrenees and Baztan Valley drive.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 2 Krakow or Warsaw?
- 3 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 4 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 5 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 6 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 7 Another tipping question: concierges
- 8 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 9 Trip suggestion
- 10 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 11 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 12 New Law Regarding Vacation Rentals in Paris
- 13 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 14 I'm looking for a guide in Moldova
- 15 Spain in July
- 16 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 17 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 18 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 19 I need help deciding ASAP!
- 20 Acorn TV
- 21 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 22 Petrol in Greece
- 23 We're here!
- 24 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 25 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
2 Nights in the Pyrenees: Driving Barcelona to San Sebastian