My husband and I are traveling to Spain for the first time this June. Flying into Barcelona. 3 nights in Barcelona, then driving to San Sebastian. We want to spend 2 nights on the road through the Pyrenees so that we can take the most scenic route. Then 2 nights in San Sebastian. Finally, 1 night in Bilbao before flying out.
I have spent a lot of time reading through posts in this forum about driving itineraries in the Pyrenees. Many of you have provided such wonderful advice! Now I am hoping to receive some thoughts on our specific itinerary.
1 - Based on previous posts, we are very interested in visiting Salardu and staying at Hotel Mauberme. This will be our first stop. What is the most scenic route from Barcelona to Salardu? Via Michelin "Discovery Route" recommends: heading NW to Manresa, C-55 to Solsona, C-26 to C-14, C-14 to N-260, north on C-13 at Sort, then finally NW on C-28 to Salardu. 5hr55min driving time. Google Maps says 4hr30min for this same route??
2 - After reading replies on the following thread, we are interested in taking this route through the Atlantic Pyrenees and Baztan Valley: Jaca - Ochagavia - Espinal - Zubiri - Elizondo - Lesaka - San Sebastian-Donostia.
I've read that this route, Jaca - San Sebastian is 5 hrs without stops. Jaca seems to be about 3 hrs from Salardu. So my question is...thinking about this route, where should our next overnight be inbetween Salardu and San Sebastian? Perhaps somewhere between Jaca and Ochagavia? (I have seen Anso and Isaba mentioned many times, although slightly off-route.)
3 - Is this driving route too ambitious for only 2 nights on the road? I also read the recommendation to drive from Salardu north to Pau, France, then west to San Sebastian. We are open to going through France, however I like the descriptions I've read of the Atlantic Pyrenees and Baztan Valley drive.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First visit to London
- 2 Austria + Italy 10 Days places to visit in July
- 3 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 4 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 5 Where to stay - Honeymoon in Southern Tuscany
- 6 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 7 Two days in Rome
- 8 London is it worth it?
- 9 Ideas on our first Europe holiday
- 10 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 11 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice
- 12 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 13 International drivers permit
- 14 First Timers Traveling to Italy - Help!
- 15 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 16 Seeking Scenic Route from Bath to Devon
- 17 Early morning flight Venice/VCE
- 18 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 19 Train from Paris to Reims for day trip
- 20 itinerary recommendation 6 nights Spain (Barcelona/Madrid)
- 21 Naples + Walking Tour
- 22 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 23 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 24 Agriturismo with train access to Florence
- 25 The essence of Swiss in 4-5 days for first timers
2 Nights in the Pyrenees: Driving Barcelona to San Sebastian