I’m looking for tips/tricks/info, anything! Especially from people who have done this before, preferably recently.
My boyfriend and I are planning a 2 month backpacking trip to Europe, from Canada. We have a tentative route planned. It is as follows: Edmonton to London, London to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Berlin, Berlin to Prague, Prague to Vienna, Vienna to Budapest, Budapest to Zadar, Zadar to Venice, Venice to Florence, Florence to Rome, Rome to Nice, Nice to Barcelona, Barcelona to Paris, and then home. We are planning 2 months for the trip. We are staying about 4 days in each place. (give or take…a couple places we are staying less, Zadar we are staying 5 as this is our “refuel” time)
We are planning to get a 10 day flex pass each (he is over 26, so we can’t get the student passes). I’m thinking the 10 day will be enough, as some trains will be short distances and will be cheap to just buy a regular ticket rather than use a day of travel on our pass.
We want to keep it moderately cheap as possible, we will be staying in hostels, and eating street food, or buying from the grocery store for sandwiches. We do want to try the local cuisines. We want to see as much as possible, but we want to utilize all the free and cheap options first. We want to see a few museums, but don’t want to spend everyday walking through endless museums at high cost.
We are each saving about $6,000 to $7,000 Canadian Dollars for the trip, and are planning to go May-June of 2015 or 2016.
I have done a lot of research and budgeting, and I’m looking for any further info you guys have, either from experience or just general knowledge.
I’d love to hear your comments, tips and recommendations. Any thing you think is a must see, or that is a great value for the money. Any info about budgeting, hostels, places to stay, places to eat, anything we should avoid….let me know! Any info on the trains, and travelling with a Eurail pass would be greatly appreciated, what are the extra reservation fees and such.
The route we have chosen took a lot of thought and deciding what to eliminate, what to add. We are not 100% set on the route, those are all the places we really don’t want to miss on this trip, but we are open to alternative routes if they make more sense.
If you need any more info from me, just ask! I can also provide you with my personal e-mail if you have documents you’d like to send.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A hole in the wall in St Germain. Paris
- 2 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 3 Budget for 8 weeks in europe
- 4 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands
- 5 Oporto
- 6 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 7 Day trips to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court from London
- 8 ひ강남구청안마メ⦍24시간OPEN⦐♬o1o-2816-2526
- 9 Trip Report : Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
- 10 Italy bus or train
- 11 Italy - to return home from Naples or Rome?
- 12 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 13 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 14 Porto and vicinity
- 15 Rome to venice
- 16 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 17 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 18 help with Italy itinerary
- 19 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 20 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 21 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 22 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 23 Le Marche Research Help
- 24 Organised day tours v/s self travel
- 25 How long from Heathrow to Isle of Wight