My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy for his birthday and our 2 year anniverssary for the last two weeks in May (11 days). We are flying in and out of Rome. We are both in our early 30s and enjoy the night life.
Our planned itinerary is as follows:
- Rome (2 nights)
- Take a train to Florence (2 nights)
- Rent a car and drive OR take a train to Naples???
- Sorrento (3 nights) day trips to Herculeanum, Positano
- Capri (2 nights)
- Rome (2 nights)
I have lots of questions
1,) Should we drive from Florence to Sorrento or take the train? Would it benefit to have the car while staying in Sorrento or would it be more of a hassle
2.) I was not sure if we should stay in Sorrento or Positano. From our posts I read that Positano has less restaurants and night life and we both are looking to experience that
3.) Also not sure if it makes sense to stay in Capri or just do a day trip? Which part of the island should we stay
4.) how do we get from Capri to Naples for the train back to Rome? ferry - car service? how much should we budget for the car service
5.) are there beaches in Sorrento? I am assuming there are beaches in Capri? What's the weather like in May? would we be able to swim?
If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.
Many thanks in advance!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 2 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 3 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 4 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 5 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 6 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 7 Praiano
- 8 No Periods in British Written English!
- 9 St Denis Cathedral
- 10 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 11 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 12 Family vacation to europe
- 13 A week in Verona - day trip suggestions?
- 14 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 15 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 16 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 17 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 18 Perugia
- 19 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 20 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 21 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 22 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 23 Accommodation referrals Trieste, Gorizia and Cormons
- 24 Rouen Tour Companies
- 25 5 days in the Morvan (Burgundy)
1st trip to Italy Florence Rome Sorrento Capri - advice needed