My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy for his birthday and our 2 year anniverssary for the last two weeks in May (11 days). We are flying in and out of Rome. We are both in our early 30s and enjoy the night life.
Our planned itinerary is as follows:
- Rome (2 nights)
- Take a train to Florence (2 nights)
- Rent a car and drive OR take a train to Naples???
- Sorrento (3 nights) day trips to Herculeanum, Positano
- Capri (2 nights)
- Rome (2 nights)
I have lots of questions
1,) Should we drive from Florence to Sorrento or take the train? Would it benefit to have the car while staying in Sorrento or would it be more of a hassle
2.) I was not sure if we should stay in Sorrento or Positano. From our posts I read that Positano has less restaurants and night life and we both are looking to experience that
3.) Also not sure if it makes sense to stay in Capri or just do a day trip? Which part of the island should we stay
4.) how do we get from Capri to Naples for the train back to Rome? ferry - car service? how much should we budget for the car service
5.) are there beaches in Sorrento? I am assuming there are beaches in Capri? What's the weather like in May? would we be able to swim?
If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.
Many thanks in advance!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 2 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 3 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 4 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 5 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 6 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 7 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 8 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 9 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 10 Bordeaux to Nice
- 11 Greek Village
- 12 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 13 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 14 Uber vs. TfL
- 15 Berlin
- 16 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 17 A Trip Report: Springtime in Italy - May 9 to June 2, 2011
- 18 Germany or Sweden
- 19 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 20 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 21 Two days in Rome
- 22 We didn't love Florence the way we thought we might
- 23 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 24 PARIS
- 25 One free day in Barcelona
1st trip to Italy Florence Rome Sorrento Capri - advice needed