My husband and I are taking our first trip to Europe before starting a family at the end of August and into September, and we want to see as much as we can without running ourselves ragged by the end. We are okay with more go-go-go than not, though, and don't mind spending only 2 or 3 nights in most places. We won't change hotels once in a city. This itinerary is still being worked out and is tentative, as we are trying to gain insight from the experts!
We love being outside, good food, beautiful sites, hiking, beaches, gardens, and maybe a few museums (but not too many of them, truly.) We like getting off the beaten path and also some touristy sites and "to-dos" as well! So, we are truly open to anything. We will have 26 days total, including our travel days to and from Europe (which I know don't count for anything).
We are planning to:
Start in London (2 1/2 days)
Chunnel to Paris & see Versailles (2 1/2 days)
Fly to Lisbon/Algarve area to meet family (4 days)
Fly to Zurich/Bern and head straight to Interlaken/Jungfrau area (3 days with no time in Zurich or Bern other than landing there)
Train to Venice (1 full day in Venice - this destination is still up in the air...should we go here or do it next trip?)
Head down to Florence by train (1 or 2 full days here?)
Train to the Amalfi Coast (3 days here? Is this too long or too short?)
Fly to Crete to end at a resort there - this is happening for sure to end on a relaxing note. (4 days)
We will fly home from Rome or Athens at the end, but we are not spending any vacation time in these spots.
We really wanted to do Salzburg as well, but I don't think it's going to happen this time, and I'd rather go there when I can take things way slower and see more of the Amsterdam/Germany/Austria region when we come back next year, as we have family in Germany....Unless Salzburg is not to be missed and we should replace something on this list?! I do LOVE the Sound of Music!
We are sure we do not want to do the London Eye, Eiffel Tower, Cinque Terre, Rome, nor Capri this time and similar things like that this trip (we are A-OK with just walking by the Eiffel Tower and taking a picture on the ground with it ), and we are trying to figure out if this is too much to do in 24 days. We recognize that train times to some places might end up being travel instead of tourist days as well.
Any and all advice is welcome, even if it only speaks to one portion of the trip! We are grateful for the insight!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 2 London Hotel - Different Request
- 3 London 6 day itinerary
- 4 Paris then Italy? Or Greece?
- 5 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 6 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 7 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 8 Iceland trip report!
- 9 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 10 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 11 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 12 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 13 6 day trip to Italy... Venice to rome
- 14 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 15 Seville to Cordoba
- 16 3 nights in Madrid
- 17 Best area to stay in Dubrovnik
- 18 What route for Reykjanes Peninsula?
- 19 Nightlife in Rome (Alone)
- 20 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 21 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 22 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 23 Trip to Switzerland
- 24 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 25 Shortest wait for the Vatican without prebooking online?
1st Time to Europe in Aug/Sep: England/France/Portugal/Switz/Italy