New reader and poster here.
Am planning to spend 5 days in Tuscany mid to late December. As in December 2016. As in about 5 weeks from now -- long story. Am throwing myself on your mercy and begging for assistance!
We would greatly refer not to have to drive. If we wanted to spend a few days cruising the countryside, how easy is this to do without one's own set of wheels? I understand we can take a train from Florence to Pisa and/or to Rome, but are there small towns we can stop off at along the way for a night or two to see more of the country? If so, which would you recommend? If not, how expensive would it be to take a taxi from Florence to, say, a little agritourism place located on a dirt road about 5km from San Gimignano ?
Also, has anyone rented a vespa? Are they fairly easy to navigate for a few miles along small lanes (perhaps dirt, gravel) in the day time? At this time of year, not sure about muddy road conditions.
Thank you for any and all responses.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris for children
- 2 Couscous
- 3 Best Masseria in Puglia
- 4 Train / Calabria
- 5 Avoid Europcar!
- 6 Visiting the Dordogne/Lot
- 7 Guided Vatican Tours
- 8 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 9 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 10 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 11 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 12 London in Winter Report
- 13 Cash in Greece ATMs
- 14 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 15 16 days in France and Italy
- 16 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 17 Do I need a Swiss rail pass?
- 18 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 19 IWM
- 20 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 21 How are the feasts in Malta Celebrated?
- 22 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 23 Tent camping in France, Spain and Portugal
- 24 quickest way to Prague
- 25 Scotland - We're Here!