My partner and I are planning our first European trip for Fall 2016. We're thinking 21 days but are flexible. We expect this to be our first of many international trips, so this won't be a whirlwind tour. We are frugal travelers with a rough budget of $6,000- but with no kids, no mortgage and no debts, we have the option to spend additional time/money on experiences we feel are worthwhile.
I think a good introduction to European travel would be Ireland, UK, Belgium, or Netherlands– or a combination of some/all. Please let me know if I'm headed in the totally wrong direction! We anticipate seeing/staying in major cities, but love to experience countryside as well. With that said- what are your ideas for a 21-day trip at a slow-moderate pace, using mostly train travel?
Our travel interests:
Scenic places, wine/beer, food (seafood!) outdoor activities, unusual accommodations, cultural experiences, historical sites, natural wonders, famous landmarks, beaches, architecture, music, boats, local culture.
Not of interest:
Shopping, Museums with long lines, luxury, touristy-trap things that locals laugh at, group bus tours, expensive restaurants, souvenir shops.
Note: We would prefer to use public transportation for most of our trip, but I understand that more rural locations may require a car rental. I'm open to this, if not ridiculously expensive.
Looking forward to reading everyone's ideas! Thank you very much for your advice!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 LEXMARK Printer 1:800:681:7208 Installation Contact LEXMARK Tec*h care
- 2 9 Days in Spain
- 3 Barcelona alternative
- 4 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 5 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 6 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 7 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 8 Spanish Medical Providers
- 9 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 10 Paris to Italy
- 11 Driving through Paris
- 12 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 13 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 14 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 15 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 16 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 17 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 18 Road trip with our dog
- 19 Frankfurt to UK
- 20 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 21 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 22 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 23 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 24 Electrical Power Conversion
- 25 Douro Valley in January?
1st time European Experience- Ireland, UK, Belgium, Netherlands, or Other?