We are a recently married couple in our mid-20s, planning to set off on our first trip to Europe in Sep 2013. Below is an itinerary we've drafted after reading several trip reports and threads. Let us know what you think.
1-Sep-13 fly, fly and fly all the way from Australia. Long flight!
2-Sep-13 Land in london. Rest day. Sleep the jetlag.
6-Sep-13 One day trip to Oxford/Stonhenge. Not sure which one to do.
8-Sep-13 Catch the evening Eurotrain to Paris
12-Sep-13 One day trip to Versailles.
14-Sep-13 Catch the morning easyJet to Krakow. Land and look around Krakow.
15-Sep-13 Auschwitz-Birkenau conc camp one day trip.
16-Sep-13 Spend the day in Krakow. Catch night train to Prague
20-Sep-13 Catch the afternoon train to Vienna.
23-Sep-13 Vienna. Catch the night sleeper train to Luzern
24-Sep-13 Luzern. Visit Mt Titlis.
25-Sep-13 Luzern. Visit Mt. Pilatus. (not sure if its worth to visit both titlis and pilatus. maybe spend that time and money on a boat cruise in the lake?)
26-Sep-13 Luzern. Take evening train to Lauterbrunnen
27-Sep-13 Stay at Lauterbrunnen. Go on a few walk trails.
28-Sep-13 Stay at Lauterbrunnen. Visit Murren/Wengen.
29-Sep-13 Stay at Lauterbrunnen. Visit Jungfrau.
1-Oct-13 Catch the Eurocity day train (EC 37) from Lauterbrunnen to Venice. Takes 7-8hrs to reach Venice.
4-Oct-13 Venice. Travel to Rome.
5-Oct-13 Rome, Italy
6-Oct-13 Rome, Italy
7-Oct-13 Rome, Italy
8-Oct-13 Flight from Rome to Australia
We thought long and hard whether we should fly to Poland just to visit Auschwitz concentration camp since there are lots of other conc. camps in Prague and near Vienna. Auschwitz is the only conc. camp I've heard and read about, and, correct me if I am wrong, no other conc. camp comes close to the size and causes the kind of emotional impact as Auschwitz. Please do let us know if there are any conc. camps worth visiting near Prague/Vienna.
We are spending effectively 2.5 days in Venice. I am not sure if we'd have sufficient time to visit the nearby Islands (Murano, Burano). Should we stay one additional day?
Looking forward to hearing your suggestions and advice. Cheers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Quizz !
- 2 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 3 Glasgow, Scotland excursions.
- 4 Pay attention to your watches !
- 5 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 6 9 Days in Spain
- 7 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 8 8 Days in Spain
- 9 Venice/Mestre
- 10 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 11 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 12 car insurance italy
- 13 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 14 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 15 Italy Car Scam
- 16 auto europa or auto europe?
- 17 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 18 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 19 Barcelona alternative
- 20 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 21 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 22 Spanish Medical Providers
- 23 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 24 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 25 Undiscovered Places in Paris