We are a recently married couple in our mid-20s, planning to set off on our first trip to Europe in Sep 2013. Below is an itinerary we've drafted after reading several trip reports and threads. Let us know what you think.
1-Sep-13 fly, fly and fly all the way from Australia. Long flight!
2-Sep-13 Land in london. Rest day. Sleep the jetlag.
6-Sep-13 One day trip to Oxford/Stonhenge. Not sure which one to do.
8-Sep-13 Catch the evening Eurotrain to Paris
12-Sep-13 One day trip to Versailles.
14-Sep-13 Catch the morning easyJet to Krakow. Land and look around Krakow.
15-Sep-13 Auschwitz-Birkenau conc camp one day trip.
16-Sep-13 Spend the day in Krakow. Catch night train to Prague
20-Sep-13 Catch the afternoon train to Vienna.
23-Sep-13 Vienna. Catch the night sleeper train to Luzern
24-Sep-13 Luzern. Visit Mt Titlis.
25-Sep-13 Luzern. Visit Mt. Pilatus. (not sure if its worth to visit both titlis and pilatus. maybe spend that time and money on a boat cruise in the lake?)
26-Sep-13 Luzern. Take evening train to Lauterbrunnen
27-Sep-13 Stay at Lauterbrunnen. Go on a few walk trails.
28-Sep-13 Stay at Lauterbrunnen. Visit Murren/Wengen.
29-Sep-13 Stay at Lauterbrunnen. Visit Jungfrau.
1-Oct-13 Catch the Eurocity day train (EC 37) from Lauterbrunnen to Venice. Takes 7-8hrs to reach Venice.
4-Oct-13 Venice. Travel to Rome.
5-Oct-13 Rome, Italy
6-Oct-13 Rome, Italy
7-Oct-13 Rome, Italy
8-Oct-13 Flight from Rome to Australia
We thought long and hard whether we should fly to Poland just to visit Auschwitz concentration camp since there are lots of other conc. camps in Prague and near Vienna. Auschwitz is the only conc. camp I've heard and read about, and, correct me if I am wrong, no other conc. camp comes close to the size and causes the kind of emotional impact as Auschwitz. Please do let us know if there are any conc. camps worth visiting near Prague/Vienna.
We are spending effectively 2.5 days in Venice. I am not sure if we'd have sufficient time to visit the nearby Islands (Murano, Burano). Should we stay one additional day?
Looking forward to hearing your suggestions and advice. Cheers!
1st Europe trip in Sep '13. Critique our itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Finland to Sweden to Denmark to France to UK
- 2 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 3 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 4 Experience with car service "Paris Cab" and others that have carseats?
- 5 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 6 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 7 Tuscany intinerary-what to do on a Sunday
- 8 Murren/Wengen in 3 days?
- 9 What to wear
- 10 Cornwall Trip Addition
- 11 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 12 Best way to get from Brno to Budapest
- 13 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 14 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 15 Chip but no PIN
- 16 Almost 3 weeks in Sicily in March
- 17 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 18 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 19 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 20 Stay near Paris
- 21 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help
- 22 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 23 Oktoberfest reservations
- 24 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 25 Eurostar booking