As a bit of background I'd originally started to plan a 17 day Italy trip but as we are under 25, car rental prices put us off and for my other half car rental is a must. Therefore we've decided on a different approach, simply driving from our home in Kent. We are fast paced travellers. We're happy to take driving in turns although ill be committing to more of the motorway driving, and will be our third time driving in Europe.
The plan was to spend some time by the lakes in Switzerland and South of France (to relax) but to cram lots of sightseeing on the way.
Day 1: Drive to Luxembourg (5 hr drive) Arrive by 3PM, enjoy the evening in
Day 2: Drive to Baden-Baden, stopping for a few hours on the way to explore Heidelberg Castle (4 hrs)
Day 3: whole day in Baden-Baden, drive to Basel in the evening (2 hrs)
Day 4: morning in Basel, afternoon in Zurich (1 hr)
Day 5 & 6: Spend in Lucerne
Day 7&8 Spend in Lugano (2 hrs)
Day 9 Day in Piedmont (2 hrs) mainly to taste some amazing food on route!
Day 10, 11, 12 Monaco (3 hrs) beach time!
Day 13,14 & 15 Cannes, Nice (not really sure where to base)
Day 16 - Macen (4 hrs)
Day 17 - 8 hrs including ferry to home.
Now I know this may not suit all tastes as there's a lot of changing hotels, 32 hrs in total of driving but I wondered if there was anything here really not feasible. I have tried to make sure most stops are on route to limit back-tracking or diversions. We still get four days by the lakes and six days by the beaches in France which sounds good to me!
I've used Michelin and petrol/tolls will cost in excess of £600 which is fine.
We weren't planning on making reservations except the first two days just in case it gets too much and we want to slow it down. Will this be a problem for the last two weeks of September in these places? Happy to use hostels if needed and were taking a tent just in case we can't get in anywhere. I'm going to write hotel phone numbers down before we leave to phone on route but hopefully use WIFI to book hotels the day before.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 2 Tour ideas for Malaga, Spain
- 3 12 days europe
- 4 Frankfurt Airport Rail Connection
- 5 Nighlife & Dancing in Genoa or San Remo (late-September)?
- 6 3 days to spend in europe
- 7 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 8 Venice to Rome via Pisa in 1 day
- 9 http://www.healthyapplechat.com/exoslim-reviews/
- 10 Ireland one week
- 11 Please suggest best itinerary
- 12 What's the Best way to go to çekirge bursa
- 13 Compare & Save Cheap Hotel Deals
- 14 Weekend hopping: Ghent, Zadar, Lisbon, Bosch, Brno,...
- 15 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 16 cell phone companys
- 17 CDG international flight
- 18 Berlin restaurant recs
- 19 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 20 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 21 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 22 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 23 italy Cinque Terre and Lake Como
- 24 Seville in late January
- 25 Lipari to Capri??