As a bit of background I'd originally started to plan a 17 day Italy trip but as we are under 25, car rental prices put us off and for my other half car rental is a must. Therefore we've decided on a different approach, simply driving from our home in Kent. We are fast paced travellers. We're happy to take driving in turns although ill be committing to more of the motorway driving, and will be our third time driving in Europe.
The plan was to spend some time by the lakes in Switzerland and South of France (to relax) but to cram lots of sightseeing on the way.
Day 1: Drive to Luxembourg (5 hr drive) Arrive by 3PM, enjoy the evening in
Day 2: Drive to Baden-Baden, stopping for a few hours on the way to explore Heidelberg Castle (4 hrs)
Day 3: whole day in Baden-Baden, drive to Basel in the evening (2 hrs)
Day 4: morning in Basel, afternoon in Zurich (1 hr)
Day 5 & 6: Spend in Lucerne
Day 7&8 Spend in Lugano (2 hrs)
Day 9 Day in Piedmont (2 hrs) mainly to taste some amazing food on route!
Day 10, 11, 12 Monaco (3 hrs) beach time!
Day 13,14 & 15 Cannes, Nice (not really sure where to base)
Day 16 - Macen (4 hrs)
Day 17 - 8 hrs including ferry to home.
Now I know this may not suit all tastes as there's a lot of changing hotels, 32 hrs in total of driving but I wondered if there was anything here really not feasible. I have tried to make sure most stops are on route to limit back-tracking or diversions. We still get four days by the lakes and six days by the beaches in France which sounds good to me!
I've used Michelin and petrol/tolls will cost in excess of £600 which is fine.
We weren't planning on making reservations except the first two days just in case it gets too much and we want to slow it down. Will this be a problem for the last two weeks of September in these places? Happy to use hostels if needed and were taking a tent just in case we can't get in anywhere. I'm going to write hotel phone numbers down before we leave to phone on route but hopefully use WIFI to book hotels the day before.
Thanks in advance!
17 day Europe Road Trip
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Castles, Palaces and Caves-9 Days in Puglia and Basilicata
- 2 Brussels / 2 nights / looking for insider tips
- 3 Terrorism in Europe
- 4 Help! Need alternative to PORTOVENERE in late-September!
- 5 City Night Line from Paris to Munich
- 6 Language Camp ANTALYA
- 7 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 8 How much luggage?????
- 9 Is WESTMINSTER & WEST END in London the best parts to stay?
- 10 Where to stay on Lake Como with Car
- 11 Catalunya Pyrenees Itinerary
- 12 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 13 Cornwall or Paris?
- 14 car rental avignon one day or hiring a driver
- 15 Help with France itinerary
- 16 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 17 Help neede with Liquria itinerary
- 18 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 19 Best area to stay in Dublin for someone in a wheelchair
- 20 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 21 Santorini and Paros - Best mode of transportation
- 22 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 23 Need help with itinerary
- 24 Think twice before booking a trip with Grand Circle.
- 25 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between