As a bit of background I'd originally started to plan a 17 day Italy trip but as we are under 25, car rental prices put us off and for my other half car rental is a must. Therefore we've decided on a different approach, simply driving from our home in Kent. We are fast paced travellers. We're happy to take driving in turns although ill be committing to more of the motorway driving, and will be our third time driving in Europe.
The plan was to spend some time by the lakes in Switzerland and South of France (to relax) but to cram lots of sightseeing on the way.
Day 1: Drive to Luxembourg (5 hr drive) Arrive by 3PM, enjoy the evening in
Day 2: Drive to Baden-Baden, stopping for a few hours on the way to explore Heidelberg Castle (4 hrs)
Day 3: whole day in Baden-Baden, drive to Basel in the evening (2 hrs)
Day 4: morning in Basel, afternoon in Zurich (1 hr)
Day 5 & 6: Spend in Lucerne
Day 7&8 Spend in Lugano (2 hrs)
Day 9 Day in Piedmont (2 hrs) mainly to taste some amazing food on route!
Day 10, 11, 12 Monaco (3 hrs) beach time!
Day 13,14 & 15 Cannes, Nice (not really sure where to base)
Day 16 - Macen (4 hrs)
Day 17 - 8 hrs including ferry to home.
Now I know this may not suit all tastes as there's a lot of changing hotels, 32 hrs in total of driving but I wondered if there was anything here really not feasible. I have tried to make sure most stops are on route to limit back-tracking or diversions. We still get four days by the lakes and six days by the beaches in France which sounds good to me!
I've used Michelin and petrol/tolls will cost in excess of £600 which is fine.
We weren't planning on making reservations except the first two days just in case it gets too much and we want to slow it down. Will this be a problem for the last two weeks of September in these places? Happy to use hostels if needed and were taking a tent just in case we can't get in anywhere. I'm going to write hotel phone numbers down before we leave to phone on route but hopefully use WIFI to book hotels the day before.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 2 From London to Paris to US
- 3 Greece Itinerary
- 4 Naples or Genoa
- 5 Need Barcelona Gaudi Ticket Help
- 6 Greece Experts
- 7 Rome to Positano
- 8 Passport question - carry with or leave at hotel?
- 9 Itinerary help please!
- 10 Ireland driving itinerary
- 11 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 12 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 13 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 14 Family of 4, 2 Young Teens, 14 Nights, 4 Countries
- 15 Germany and Austria trip report
- 16 Manchester on derby weekend
- 17 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 18 France to stop making foie grois
- 19 Laundry - Ireland?
- 20 Visiting the Black Forest
- 21 http://x4up.org/vitalpeak-xt/
- 22 Iceland in 9 nights in late September
- 23 Dover queues
- 24 Puglia
- 25 My greece vacation