As a bit of background I'd originally started to plan a 17 day Italy trip but as we are under 25, car rental prices put us off and for my other half car rental is a must. Therefore we've decided on a different approach, simply driving from our home in Kent. We are fast paced travellers. We're happy to take driving in turns although ill be committing to more of the motorway driving, and will be our third time driving in Europe.
The plan was to spend some time by the lakes in Switzerland and South of France (to relax) but to cram lots of sightseeing on the way.
Day 1: Drive to Luxembourg (5 hr drive) Arrive by 3PM, enjoy the evening in
Day 2: Drive to Baden-Baden, stopping for a few hours on the way to explore Heidelberg Castle (4 hrs)
Day 3: whole day in Baden-Baden, drive to Basel in the evening (2 hrs)
Day 4: morning in Basel, afternoon in Zurich (1 hr)
Day 5 & 6: Spend in Lucerne
Day 7&8 Spend in Lugano (2 hrs)
Day 9 Day in Piedmont (2 hrs) mainly to taste some amazing food on route!
Day 10, 11, 12 Monaco (3 hrs) beach time!
Day 13,14 & 15 Cannes, Nice (not really sure where to base)
Day 16 - Macen (4 hrs)
Day 17 - 8 hrs including ferry to home.
Now I know this may not suit all tastes as there's a lot of changing hotels, 32 hrs in total of driving but I wondered if there was anything here really not feasible. I have tried to make sure most stops are on route to limit back-tracking or diversions. We still get four days by the lakes and six days by the beaches in France which sounds good to me!
I've used Michelin and petrol/tolls will cost in excess of £600 which is fine.
We weren't planning on making reservations except the first two days just in case it gets too much and we want to slow it down. Will this be a problem for the last two weeks of September in these places? Happy to use hostels if needed and were taking a tent just in case we can't get in anywhere. I'm going to write hotel phone numbers down before we leave to phone on route but hopefully use WIFI to book hotels the day before.
Thanks in advance!
17 day Europe Road Trip
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 2 Initial feedback on Spain itin, please
- 3 How much do you spend on travel in Europe?
- 4 Gite and/or agritourism
- 5 Munich - (2) nights plus an extra evening - your suggestions?
- 6 England and Scotland
- 7 Athens/Istanbul March
- 8 English ruined castles
- 9 Sixt Car Rental? Good/Bad? Any reviews/experiences?
- 10 Stay away Buchbinder car rental company
- 11 Switzerland
- 12 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 13 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 14 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 15 Hotel for last night in London--for family of 4
- 16 Planning a trip to the Baltics
- 17 Savoring Sicily - A Trip Report
- 18 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 19 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 20 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 21 Info requested for Paris, Strasbourg and Berlin
- 22 Dublin to Armagh?
- 23 Solo Scotland May 2014
- 24 A photo report on Reykjavik, Iceland
- 25 Apartment for family trip to London