I'm planning a trip through various cities in western Europe for summer 2015, and I'll be 16 (nearly 17) at the time. I'll be traveling with my friend (also 16).
We both live in Scotland, and our 'list' is something like this;
Paris, Barcelona, Cannes, Rome, Venice, Berlin, Amsterdam. I'd love to be able to go to Cinque Terre, but don't yet know if it will be an option. I'm aware this is quite a long list - considering we only have 3 weeks max.
We will be living in budget accommodation, and have relatively small appetites. We've put aside around 20-25 euro accommodation per night, and around the same for food (though probably less). For drink we don't plan to get blazing at any given opportunity, but we do plan on taking advantage of the lower drinking ages and more relaxed bars, haha.
We don't mind roughing it a bit. We know that our inter rail ticket will be under £200 (even at high season). We don't plan on buying lots of gifts for people, just the odd postcard here and there.
All in all we've calculated we need to save around £1400, but to be on the safe side, we're aiming for £2000.
Since we are 16, I'm aware some hotels and hostels won't allow us to stay without an adult. However, after personally emailing numerous hostels (where we'll be most likely to stay in) in said locations, and they say that we may stay if we have parental consent (in the form of a written note and photocopy of their passport) then we may stay.
I am hoping our age won't prove problematic. I literally have my heart set on this trip and hope my age won't make it difficult. I'd say my friend and I are certainly mature enough, and would be careful. She looks older than her age, and I look my age.
We both speak fluent English (obviously), and basic French and Spanish. I hope to learn basic Italian, German and Dutch out of respect for the countries, but we will be in no way fluent in any other than English.
Sorry that was so long!
Have any under 18s travelers got any advice for us?
Will it be more difficult for us to make friends/socialise because we are younger?
Will it be a problem since we don't speak any other language fluently
How strict are bars in these cities? (I've been served beer and cider whilst on holiday in Amsterdam and Spain, just wondering if everywhere else is as relaxed?)
Do you think we have put aside enough money? As I said, we don't mind the cheapest option as long as it ain't dodgy haha.
FINALLY - PLEASE any tips for our trips? Good hostels? Good restaurants? Cheap trips? Hidden gems? Female advice?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 2 하나투어/」⋟✵ 【 GO428.ZZ.AM 】✵ ⋞「/하나투어하나투어
- 3 태국골프투어♤／>【 GO428.ZZ.AM 】>／♤【태국골프투어】
- 4 황제골프/」⋟✶ 【 GO428.ZZ.AM 】✶ ⋞「/황제골프황제골프
- 5 필리핀골프투어/」⋟❖ 【 GO428.ZZ.AM 】❖ ⋞「/필리핀골프투어필리핀골프투어
- 6 동남아골프투어✯／>【 GO428.ZZ.AM 】>／✯【동남아골프투어】
- 7 해외골프여행/」⋟✪ 【 GO428.ZZ.AM 】✪ ⋞「/해외골프여행해외골프여행
- 8 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 9 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 10 Paris hotels
- 11 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 12 Roma Pass
- 13 Trek through Eur
- 14 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 15 Budapest in December 2017
- 16 Amsterdam hotels
- 17 Denmark or Sweden?
- 18 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 19 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 20 Europe itinerary questions
- 21 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 22 London Hotels
- 23 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 24 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 25 We're here!
16 Year Olds do western EUROPE.. Advice? (LAST QUESTION important)