Last year I spent an amazing 2 months in Spain and Italy (and Paris). I really enjoyed Spain (moreso than Italy which is hard to admit being Italian myself). However the only place in North Spain I went to was San Sebastian (for 4 nights). Since San Sebastian was the highlight of my entire trip I really want to experience more in the north of Spain,
So in 2013 I intend to spend another 2 months solo travelling and at this stage am considering 16 nights (14 full days) in north of Spain (incl San Sebastian again). Any thoughts on my itinerary below would be appreciated.
- at this stage, the North Spain leg will be 2nd half of August
- travelling from Melbourne Australia (which will be around 30 hours based current first stop on my itinerary) so arrival day and probably next day are probably rest days
- primary interests are beaches, walking, scenic landscapes and towns, food, people culture
- am not interested in art, museums or partying (though good selection of bars for some drinks preferred)
- I will be relying entirely on public transport
- On final day flying to Istanbul, so trip must end in a city with an airport that services Istanbul cheaply. I would prefer not to finish in Barcelona or Madrid since I have been to those cities extensively and do not want to stay a night there. Bilbao seems the only other choice unless I've missed something
- I would like to try and spend one day in Picos de Europa (with a tour if necessary) so any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated...for example, can it be done from Llanes in my current itinerary
Tentative itinerary so far:
- Santiago de Campostela (4 nights)
- Leon (2 nights)
- Llanes (4 nights) - incl a daytrip to Picos de Europa if possible and perhaps one to Santillana as well though that seems a little circular...perhaps should just go to Santillana and stay there overnight on the last full day?
- San Sebastian (4 nights) - incl daytrip to Hondarribia and another daytrip if any suggestions
- Bilbao (2 nights then fly out to Istanbul)
The two logisitical concerns I have with the above:
- Is Leon to Llanes feasible by train and/or bus without too much difficulty? I initially had Oviedo as an overnight stop, but felt that would be a waste
- Is the Picos de Europa feasible from Llanes as a daytrip? If not I would probably reduce my stay in Llanes to 3 nights but where to spend the extra one?
PS: I had fully intended to stay in Cadaques for 3 nights, but it just seemed to hard logistically because really want to visit Santiago DC as well
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Naples, Amalfi coast and Puglia - suggestions please.
- 2 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 3 Planning a self drive tour of the uk next april
- 4 My trip to Cornwall, bookended by weekends in London
- 5 Portugal itinerary help
- 6 First Time Solo Travel info
- 7 Prague hotels
- 8 The Princess Diaries: My Three Week Odyssey In Poland And Romania
- 9 Trip Report: Krakow and Warsaw
- 10 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 11 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 12 14 days in Greece itinerary ???
- 13 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 14 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 15 When is Pope's schedule released for 2017?
- 16 Munich
- 17 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!
- 18 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 19 One month in southern Spain with little ones. Where to stay?
- 20 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 21 2 Months around Europe and the Balkans. Need help with itinerary!
- 22 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 23 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 24 Poland & Ukraine Summer 2017
- 25 Visa for one Schengen Country, and traveling with EU spouse and children