Last year I spent an amazing 2 months in Spain and Italy (and Paris). I really enjoyed Spain (moreso than Italy which is hard to admit being Italian myself). However the only place in North Spain I went to was San Sebastian (for 4 nights). Since San Sebastian was the highlight of my entire trip I really want to experience more in the north of Spain,
So in 2013 I intend to spend another 2 months solo travelling and at this stage am considering 16 nights (14 full days) in north of Spain (incl San Sebastian again). Any thoughts on my itinerary below would be appreciated.
- at this stage, the North Spain leg will be 2nd half of August
- travelling from Melbourne Australia (which will be around 30 hours based current first stop on my itinerary) so arrival day and probably next day are probably rest days
- primary interests are beaches, walking, scenic landscapes and towns, food, people culture
- am not interested in art, museums or partying (though good selection of bars for some drinks preferred)
- I will be relying entirely on public transport
- On final day flying to Istanbul, so trip must end in a city with an airport that services Istanbul cheaply. I would prefer not to finish in Barcelona or Madrid since I have been to those cities extensively and do not want to stay a night there. Bilbao seems the only other choice unless I've missed something
- I would like to try and spend one day in Picos de Europa (with a tour if necessary) so any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated...for example, can it be done from Llanes in my current itinerary
Tentative itinerary so far:
- Santiago de Campostela (4 nights)
- Leon (2 nights)
- Llanes (4 nights) - incl a daytrip to Picos de Europa if possible and perhaps one to Santillana as well though that seems a little circular...perhaps should just go to Santillana and stay there overnight on the last full day?
- San Sebastian (4 nights) - incl daytrip to Hondarribia and another daytrip if any suggestions
- Bilbao (2 nights then fly out to Istanbul)
The two logisitical concerns I have with the above:
- Is Leon to Llanes feasible by train and/or bus without too much difficulty? I initially had Oviedo as an overnight stop, but felt that would be a waste
- Is the Picos de Europa feasible from Llanes as a daytrip? If not I would probably reduce my stay in Llanes to 3 nights but where to spend the extra one?
PS: I had fully intended to stay in Cadaques for 3 nights, but it just seemed to hard logistically because really want to visit Santiago DC as well
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Poll: Most loved smaller European cities & towns (under 500,000 pop.)
- 2 Boots for Christmastime in Germany?
- 3 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 4 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 5 small Paris hotel 6 or 7 Arr
- 6 Ideas for Month in Germany
- 7 Safe to Travel?
- 8 Pre-Booking Train Tickets
- 9 Airfare from Boston to Rome
- 10 Recommendations for a Drive through Chianti
- 11 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 12 Hotel in Tenerife, Canary Islands
- 13 Why Not Helsinki?
- 14 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 15 Rome to Todi on a Sunday - public transport help please
- 16 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 17 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 18 Naxos hotels? has anyone stayed at Finikas?
- 19 8 days in Vienna in December
- 20 Solvenia to Venice stops on the way
- 21 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 22 Quickest and cheapest way to get to Marco Polo from Mogliano Veneto?
- 23 Car rental leaving Rome
- 24 Christmas Market and Parking
- 25 Paris Under Seige...