Last year I spent an amazing 2 months in Spain and Italy (and Paris). I really enjoyed Spain (moreso than Italy which is hard to admit being Italian myself). However the only place in North Spain I went to was San Sebastian (for 4 nights). Since San Sebastian was the highlight of my entire trip I really want to experience more in the north of Spain,
So in 2013 I intend to spend another 2 months solo travelling and at this stage am considering 16 nights (14 full days) in north of Spain (incl San Sebastian again). Any thoughts on my itinerary below would be appreciated.
- at this stage, the North Spain leg will be 2nd half of August
- travelling from Melbourne Australia (which will be around 30 hours based current first stop on my itinerary) so arrival day and probably next day are probably rest days
- primary interests are beaches, walking, scenic landscapes and towns, food, people culture
- am not interested in art, museums or partying (though good selection of bars for some drinks preferred)
- I will be relying entirely on public transport
- On final day flying to Istanbul, so trip must end in a city with an airport that services Istanbul cheaply. I would prefer not to finish in Barcelona or Madrid since I have been to those cities extensively and do not want to stay a night there. Bilbao seems the only other choice unless I've missed something
- I would like to try and spend one day in Picos de Europa (with a tour if necessary) so any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated...for example, can it be done from Llanes in my current itinerary
Tentative itinerary so far:
- Santiago de Campostela (4 nights)
- Leon (2 nights)
- Llanes (4 nights) - incl a daytrip to Picos de Europa if possible and perhaps one to Santillana as well though that seems a little circular...perhaps should just go to Santillana and stay there overnight on the last full day?
- San Sebastian (4 nights) - incl daytrip to Hondarribia and another daytrip if any suggestions
- Bilbao (2 nights then fly out to Istanbul)
The two logisitical concerns I have with the above:
- Is Leon to Llanes feasible by train and/or bus without too much difficulty? I initially had Oviedo as an overnight stop, but felt that would be a waste
- Is the Picos de Europa feasible from Llanes as a daytrip? If not I would probably reduce my stay in Llanes to 3 nights but where to spend the extra one?
PS: I had fully intended to stay in Cadaques for 3 nights, but it just seemed to hard logistically because really want to visit Santiago DC as well
16 nights in North Spain
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 7 Nights in Paris
- 2 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 3 What area of Berlin is best for a first time visitor?
- 4 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 5 Albania by bus in 10 days??
- 6 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 7 Can I cancel 2 of 4 train tickets?
- 8 Monet in Normandy
- 9 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 10 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 11 9 days in Italy - beginning in Venice
- 12 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 13 "New SAT Won’t Include Obscure Vocabulary Words"
- 14 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 15 Gargano Promontory
- 16 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 17 Santorini
- 18 Day Trip from Paris? Versailles - go or no? Other ideas . . .
- 19 SmartPhone Europe to USA
- 20 Airport to Piraeus
- 21 Travel over Col du Puymorens and lunch.
- 22 Getting from London to Southhampton
- 23 Day trips from Seville
- 24 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 25 Honeymoon in Greece 10 days : Athen Santorini Crete