I am using my friends account to post this message as Fodors support team are unable to fix my account / password issues.
My wife and I are planning a trip to France and Italy, as such wanted some feedback on our itinerary in terms of covering places (or skipping and covering others instead). We are both working individuals so with much difficultly we have managed to take out 16 days from our busy schedule to travel a little. While 16 days is not a lot (I know!!), we would like to make the most of our trip. Given our time constraints, we decided to go with major cities (and yes we like doing regular touristy things and yes! I know this is not everybody's idea of travel)
15/10/2014 Sydney - Paris
16/10/2014 Paris (landing at 2:25 PM)
19/10/2014 Paris to Nice by train 7AM reaching approx. 1PM
20/10/2014 Nice - day visit to St Tropez or Cannes (car hire)
21/10/2014 Nice - day visit to Monaco (car hire)
22/10/2014 Nice - Venice (early morning flight approx. 1.5 hours)
23/10/2014 Venice - Florence (evening train to Florence)
24/10/2014 Florence - Relax / sight seeing Florence
25/10/2014 Florence - day trip to Pisa (just the leaning tower) & Cinque terre by train
26/10/2014 Florence - Rome early morning train - check in / sight seeing in Rome during the day
27/10/2014 Rome - sight seeing
28/10/2014 Rome - Amalfi Coast (hire car early morning and drive to Amalfi via Naples for the pizza and Pompei for the ruins/ Vesuvius, intend to drop car of in Amalfi)
29/10/2014 Amalfi Coast (Relax in Amalfi / walk around)
30/10/2014 Amalfi Coast - visit Capri
31/10/2014 Amalfi - Rome (Relax in Amalfi / walk around for most of the day then take evening train back to Rome)
1/11/2014 Rome - morning flight out 11AM
2/11/2014 Back to Sydney
I know the trip sounds extremely hectic but I can't seem to find any other way to cover all our points of interest. Questions that continue to linger in my head - are there any places that we can skip? do we need to spend more time in one place and less in another? have we selected too many spot on the map? are missing any places to visit? in terms of the travel - should we get a pass or just buy single train tickets - any website suggestions? should we prebook?
Furthermore - for Paris and Rome - which districts / suburbs to stay in.. which ones to avoid?
16 days in France and Italy (not including flights)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 September Trip to Normandy/Brittany/Paris
- 2 moderate price lodging in the Schliersee/Bavarian Alps area
- 3 The Tweesters take a trip to BiH, Croatia and Slovenia
- 4 Train tickets France and Spain
- 5 Travel by train in Poland?
- 6 1 Night Paris before Eurostar - Where to stay
- 7 Trains Austria
- 8 Trip Report: My Encounter With the Italian Hospital System
- 9 Getting to London Gatwick or London Luton Airports from Heathrow?
- 10 Advice on itinerary - Balestrand, Ulvik, Flam?
- 11 Segovia or Toledo day trip
- 12 Looking for Decent Beach near Marseille, France
- 13 Visiting the winemakers in Portugal
- 14 From Dingle to Dublin?
- 15 What to do in England, Wales and Scotland?
- 16 How can I use my Telus iPhone in Europe?
- 17 Piazza Navona hotel in Rome help
- 18 Croatia and Montenegro for 8 days
- 19 What do you think of this itinerary?
- 20 Hotel Royal St Honore - Paris in August
- 21 Staying in the Highlands
- 22 Taking a perscribed controlled substance to Germany.
- 23 17 days in Spain, best itinerary?
- 24 Road Trip Part 1...............Madrid To Lisbon by Auto
- 25 Basel Customs - Forgotten Pasport: photocopy suffice?