I'll be spending my spring semester studying in Oxford and I'm concluding my time abroad with 16 days in Greece with my boyfriend.
I will meet him in Greece, so his travel is the most taxing, and then I will return home to the states on his same flight. We are looking at him departing Ohio in the evening of May 9, arriving Athens May 10. We will both fly out of Athens and back to Ohio on May 26, giving us 15 full days in Greece, 16 nights.
My boyfriend is into greek history, and certainly wants to see the must see historical sights. Beyond that we are outdoorsy and like to hike and be active - we certainly don't want a trip reserved for laying on the beach or doing purely touristy stuff. Rather we are interested in experiencing as much local culture as possible.
How many days do we need in Athens to see enough, and what are your suggestions on islands and how many days in each. Fly or ferry? Use Santorini as a base for other excursions? Crete and Rhodes just seem too far away, or skip Santorini and just do Crete?
May 10: Arrive Athens from Ohio
May 11: Athens
May 12: Athens
May 13: Depart Athens for Santorini
May 14: Santorini
May 14: Santorini
May 15: Santorini
May 16: Santorini
May 17: ?
May 18: ?
May 19: ?
May 20: ?
May 21: ?
May 22: ?
May 23: ?
May 24: Depart ? and return to Athens
May 25: Athens wrap-up
May 26: Depart Athens for Ohio
Sorry for the vagueness. Trying to keep it as reasonable as possible while deferring to those that know the most about Greece.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 2 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 3 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 4 English Countryside
- 5 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 6 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 7 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 8 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 9 Help with Ireland itinerary
- 10 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 11 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 12 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 13 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 14 When to Visit Scotland
- 15 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 16 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 17 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 18 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 19 Paris Shuttle Service - AVOID!!!!
- 20 Trains in Alps and UK
- 21 CDG airport and connection time
- 22 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 23 Switzerland
- 24 San Sebastian
- 25 car for four adults and four bikes