My name is Eric, and I'm new to this forum. I'm also new to traveling internationally (excluding Canada and Mexico).
I will be flying into Heathrow Airport en route to Oslo, Norway for a cruise, on June 13th. I will be leaving Los Angeles, California on Wednesday, June 13th at 9:20 PM PDT, and arriving at Heathrow Airport on Thursday, June 14th, 3:55 PM BST (+1 day).
I then have a 15 hour and 25 minute layover, not departing for Norway until Friday, June 15th, at 7:20 AM BST.
So my question is this: is it plausible to leave Heathrow and explore London during my layover? If so, what are my best options to get into London? Train, tube, taxi?
Also, if anyone has any advice on where to eat/visit, to really make the most of my stay in London, I would greatly appreciate it.
Additionally, what should I be prepared for with customs? Will I need a tourist visa, or will my passport suffice?
What will it be like going back INTO Heathrow Airport as an American citizen? Will I go through any type of customs going INTO the airport, or will I just go about business as normal?
I apologize for my naivety, but I am new at International travel.
Thank you much!!
15 Hour Layover @ Heathrow - Leave Airport, or No?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 2 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 3 Italy trip questions
- 4 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 5 Spain, Summer 2014 Itinerary Suggestions
- 6 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 7 Honeymoon in the Alps (with skiing)
- 8 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 9 Our Brief Bavarian Break: Christmas Markets
- 10 1st time in Paris - apartment advice
- 11 Budget Trip to Europe | 22, 23-yr old | June 2015
- 12 Airport bus Bilbao to San Sebastian and back
- 13 Where to stay Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena, and Rome.
- 14 Huge New 5,000 Year Old Underground City Excavated in Cappadocia
- 15 Suggestion for travel memories
- 16 Would you recommend Sicily only or Puglia also for a 14-day trip?
- 17 Italy/Austria/Germany/France
- 18 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 19 Two Weeks in Italy: Umbria, Tuscany, Piedmont Itinerary Help
- 20 Budget family trip to Europe
- 21 From Paris to Bruselas-Amsterdam-London
- 22 Pyrenees logistics
- 23 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 24 Italy
- 25 Azores