My name is Eric, and I'm new to this forum. I'm also new to traveling internationally (excluding Canada and Mexico).
I will be flying into Heathrow Airport en route to Oslo, Norway for a cruise, on June 13th. I will be leaving Los Angeles, California on Wednesday, June 13th at 9:20 PM PDT, and arriving at Heathrow Airport on Thursday, June 14th, 3:55 PM BST (+1 day).
I then have a 15 hour and 25 minute layover, not departing for Norway until Friday, June 15th, at 7:20 AM BST.
So my question is this: is it plausible to leave Heathrow and explore London during my layover? If so, what are my best options to get into London? Train, tube, taxi?
Also, if anyone has any advice on where to eat/visit, to really make the most of my stay in London, I would greatly appreciate it.
Additionally, what should I be prepared for with customs? Will I need a tourist visa, or will my passport suffice?
What will it be like going back INTO Heathrow Airport as an American citizen? Will I go through any type of customs going INTO the airport, or will I just go about business as normal?
I apologize for my naivety, but I am new at International travel.
Thank you much!!
15 Hour Layover @ Heathrow - Leave Airport, or No?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is this the right way<>?
- 2 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 3 Two weeks in Paris guiding 4 couples. Need help with itinerary!
- 4 Art in Paris
- 5 Too many Trip Reports
- 6 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 7 Dublin & Edinburgh - First timer!
- 8 How much do you spend on travel in Europe?
- 9 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 10 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 11 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 12 First trip to Iceland! Need help planning!
- 13 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 14 Staycation: can't believe I'm doing this
- 15 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 16 Hotels that we found special
- 17 Crete for 3 weeks....but where?!
- 18 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 19 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 20 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 21 Great London Bars with a view
- 22 Rome Food Tour
- 23 Paris, Ile de France...and WHERE? 1st trip to France in June! Oh la la!
- 24 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 25 Roaming Romania, Take Two