My name is Eric, and I'm new to this forum. I'm also new to traveling internationally (excluding Canada and Mexico).
I will be flying into Heathrow Airport en route to Oslo, Norway for a cruise, on June 13th. I will be leaving Los Angeles, California on Wednesday, June 13th at 9:20 PM PDT, and arriving at Heathrow Airport on Thursday, June 14th, 3:55 PM BST (+1 day).
I then have a 15 hour and 25 minute layover, not departing for Norway until Friday, June 15th, at 7:20 AM BST.
So my question is this: is it plausible to leave Heathrow and explore London during my layover? If so, what are my best options to get into London? Train, tube, taxi?
Also, if anyone has any advice on where to eat/visit, to really make the most of my stay in London, I would greatly appreciate it.
Additionally, what should I be prepared for with customs? Will I need a tourist visa, or will my passport suffice?
What will it be like going back INTO Heathrow Airport as an American citizen? Will I go through any type of customs going INTO the airport, or will I just go about business as normal?
I apologize for my naivety, but I am new at International travel.
Thank you much!!
15 Hour Layover @ Heathrow - Leave Airport, or No?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Giverny in early October?
- 2 visit a working farm in Southern Ireland
- 3 Air France strike
- 4 Voltage in UK and France
- 5 Help with Amsterdam for Christmas and Paris for New Year’s
- 6 Two Days in Prague
- 7 How many nights in Vienna vs. Salzburg?
- 8 Nuit Blanche 2014
- 9 Schengen Visa
- 10 Spain - looking for a historic town and beach town
- 11 Alterations to night trains routes
- 12 Paris GTG 10/1-10/8?
- 13 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 14 london in 2.5 days
- 15 Belgium, Germany, Netherlands
- 16 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 17 Amsterdam neighborhood to stay for 2 weeks
- 18 Concert at St. Chapelle question
- 19 London GTG late September?
- 20 US looking into preclearance at European airports
- 21 URGENT HELP- Traveling soon for Croatia, B & H, Slovenia, Montenegro
- 22 Florence Hotel Advice
- 23 Escargot
- 24 Montreuil, Rue Colbert
- 25 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal