Thank you in advance for what I know will be expert advice and sp appreciated! I love and rely on this forum for 'in the know' advice - thank you.
After a large amount of reading, below is the itinerary I have come up with for 4 active adults and the types of experiences we are looking forward to.....suggestions and revisions are welcome if I am missing or undercalculating any time spent in a place.
We love getting to know a place like a local, getting off the beaten path, hitting the highpoints of sightseeing, incorporating outdoor and adventure travel and we are very interested in the culinary culture of a place.
Trip = right around the corner! April 3rd - 17th, 2013
(4th) 8:30 am arrive lisbon. Immediate xfer to Ritz-Carlton Penha Longa (business trip). Explore resort, possible golf/spa and see town of Sintra.
(5th) Explore Caiscais, Estoril, Guincho....bike between Caiscais and Guincho
(6th) 1/2 day morning tour in Lisbon with "We Hate Tourism Travel" or possibly a Sidecar tour....thoughts on these? Back to Sintra for Pena Palace and Quinta de Regaliera in afternoon
(7th) Checkout and head to Lisbon for the afternoon...museums in the afternoon (possibilities include Coach, Maritme, Gulbenkian, Oceanarium)
(8th) More Lisbon exploring (possibly by E-bike?). Belem, Alfama, Dinner and Fado club at night
(9th) Early A.M. bike tour with PortugalBike (?) in Sesimbra and through Arrabida Park. Back to Lisbon to pick up car rental (unless we can pick up in Setubal?), head to Evora/Arraiolos/Estremoz area....still need to decide which one to base out of in a Pousada.
(10th) Explore Evora and surrounding cities. Incorporate biking and the Rota do Vinhos
(11th) More of the same......Visit Elvas and Marvao
(12th) Hike, bike, explore the Schist Villages and Lousa mountains. Stay here or drive to Lamego to overnight?
(13th) Explore the sanctuary of nossa senhora dos remédios in Lamego. Head to Porto and do wine lodges for lunch and afternoon. Stay in Porto.
(14th) Train ride into Douro Valley and boat ride back....which cruise line is best?
(15th) Guimaraes and Braga or head south via Aveiro and Coimbra towards Nazare?
(16th) Nazare and Obidos and Alcobaca. Hang glide in Nazare. Stay overnight here or in Lisbon?
(17th) 10:30 am flight back to the US
What do you think?? This country looks so amazing - I already know I will be back and I haven't even gotten there yet!
I have left off the Algarve for now (mistake?)
Thank you so much in advance for your expert guidance. I plan to repay the favor!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 2 Rome Water Shortage
- 3 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 4 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 5 Visiting Zurich
- 6 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 7 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 8 Moldova and Transnistria
- 9 Getting around London
- 10 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 11 Valencia Spain
- 12 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 13 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 14 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 15 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 16 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 17 The DCC scam is spreading
- 18 Favorite Champagne houses in Reims and surrounding area
- 19 Iceland in January/February
- 20 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 21 Driving in Italy
- 22 Paris in August
- 23 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)
- 24 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 25 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017