Thank you in advance for what I know will be expert advice and sp appreciated! I love and rely on this forum for 'in the know' advice - thank you.
After a large amount of reading, below is the itinerary I have come up with for 4 active adults and the types of experiences we are looking forward to.....suggestions and revisions are welcome if I am missing or undercalculating any time spent in a place.
We love getting to know a place like a local, getting off the beaten path, hitting the highpoints of sightseeing, incorporating outdoor and adventure travel and we are very interested in the culinary culture of a place.
Trip = right around the corner! April 3rd - 17th, 2013
(4th) 8:30 am arrive lisbon. Immediate xfer to Ritz-Carlton Penha Longa (business trip). Explore resort, possible golf/spa and see town of Sintra.
(5th) Explore Caiscais, Estoril, Guincho....bike between Caiscais and Guincho
(6th) 1/2 day morning tour in Lisbon with "We Hate Tourism Travel" or possibly a Sidecar tour....thoughts on these? Back to Sintra for Pena Palace and Quinta de Regaliera in afternoon
(7th) Checkout and head to Lisbon for the afternoon...museums in the afternoon (possibilities include Coach, Maritme, Gulbenkian, Oceanarium)
(8th) More Lisbon exploring (possibly by E-bike?). Belem, Alfama, Dinner and Fado club at night
(9th) Early A.M. bike tour with PortugalBike (?) in Sesimbra and through Arrabida Park. Back to Lisbon to pick up car rental (unless we can pick up in Setubal?), head to Evora/Arraiolos/Estremoz area....still need to decide which one to base out of in a Pousada.
(10th) Explore Evora and surrounding cities. Incorporate biking and the Rota do Vinhos
(11th) More of the same......Visit Elvas and Marvao
(12th) Hike, bike, explore the Schist Villages and Lousa mountains. Stay here or drive to Lamego to overnight?
(13th) Explore the sanctuary of nossa senhora dos remédios in Lamego. Head to Porto and do wine lodges for lunch and afternoon. Stay in Porto.
(14th) Train ride into Douro Valley and boat ride back....which cruise line is best?
(15th) Guimaraes and Braga or head south via Aveiro and Coimbra towards Nazare?
(16th) Nazare and Obidos and Alcobaca. Hang glide in Nazare. Stay overnight here or in Lisbon?
(17th) 10:30 am flight back to the US
What do you think?? This country looks so amazing - I already know I will be back and I haven't even gotten there yet!
I have left off the Algarve for now (mistake?)
Thank you so much in advance for your expert guidance. I plan to repay the favor!
14 days in Portugal - Itinerary Check??
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Louvre vs. Orsay/Rodin
- 2 Pickup rental car in Germany and drop off in Switzerland
- 3 Should I buy Euro's now?
- 4 first trip to Spain - questions and itinerary review
- 5 Norway- 1 week trip in May
- 6 To Prague or not to Prague
- 7 ISO London Flat w/Washer/Dryer Early May
- 8 Up coming strikes at Spanish airports 2015
- 9 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 10 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 11 6 Days in Italy - all in Rome or divide it between Rome and Florence?
- 12 Stansted Express or National Express - which is better?
- 13 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 14 France to Italy advice needed please
- 15 Skiing in Austria?
- 16 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 17 Rocamaxour
- 18 Looking for 5* Beach Resort
- 19 Spending time in Berner Oblerand - Take a side trip to Saas Fee?
- 20 Germany for 3 weeks
- 21 Visiting Bastogne and nearby - should I stay there or Liege or elsewhere?
- 22 Is this realistic... advice?
- 23 Gastehaus Alpenkranz
- 24 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 25 Lake Como or Lake Maggiore for beauty and nature