We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Ireland next summer. We plan on 14 days plus travel days. Like many of the posters here, we've learned not to try to pack too much into one trip. We'd rather see less and enjoy the culture. Initial plan is to fly into Dublin and out of Shannon. A couple days in Dublin and then rent a car and head towards Kilkenny, Waterford, Cork, Kenmare, Kilarney, Kerry, Dingle and back up to County Clare, Galway and Shannon. We hope to find a couple places to stay 3-5 nights and others 1-2. We love scenery, hiking, want to bicycle the Dingle Peninsula, castles, monuments, pubs, traditional music, explore the villages and meet some locals. Most itineraries I see for 14 days take you further north and into Northern Ireland. Will there be plenty to see and keep us busy for 14 days on this route? Where would you suggest the 3-5 day bases?
14 Days in Ireland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bayonne or St Jean de Luz
- 2 Best Location for Car Pickup in Naples
- 3 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 4 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 5 Bavaria: Santa Claus and Evil Twin Krampus!
- 6 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 7 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 8 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 9 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 10 Luggage storage in Barcelona
- 11 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 12 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 13 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 14 American Express
- 15 Airport ATMs
- 16 Three ferries to Mull
- 17 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 18 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 19 Christmas markets: E Germany, Poland, Prague
- 20 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 21 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 22 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 23 All Set To Go!!
- 24 Our October trip to Andalucia!
- 25 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides