After much thinking, I have somehow finalized my trip. Our family of 5 (kids ages 9 ,6, 6) is taking a 12 day stopover in Munich area, and we are on a tight budget.
Reach on 15th May afternoon. Drive towards Berchtesgaden.
Stay for 4 nights at www.gaestehaus-stoeckl.de
I have not seen much reviews of this place but it is the least expensive I can find and it does have the kitchen (woo hoo .. in case I need to fix a quick meal for the family).
Initially I was thinking about staying 2 days here and 2 days in Hallstatt, but then I thought of all the packing and unpacking with kids .. so now Hallstatt have to be a day trip. We will see the Salt Mine, Castle, Eagle's nest, Hellbrun .. all the popular places .. whatever we can see depending upon weather.
Drive via Innsbruck, mittenwald .. towards Fussen area and stay there 3 days. I really want to stay at least once on a farm. I have heard it is very popular in Germany but unfortunately I do not know how to find them ( I have googled .. but no success). We would like to go to mountain peak, may be Luge ride ??, see castles. In Mittenwald we would like to visit the famous Violin maker. Oh! And I also heard that somewhere close to Oberammergau -- there is wood carving and vast fields of mustards that might be blooming in May (does anyone know about this?). In one DVD they also mentioned that there is a stagecoach for mail delivery in garmisch-partenkirchen area. Anyone, any ideas??
Then we want to move to meerburg, mainau area and stay there three days. We will go to Triberg to see Cuckoo Clocks .. one day.
Somewhere in between I am hoping to see streams and waterfalls. We will rent a car so we can see countryside -- may be in future we will take public transport and stay closer to more popular cities.
Any one -- any ideas .. Any budget places to stay around the area we are visiting. I would like to spend no more than $100 or $110 per day in lodging, if possible.
I am also dying to see the fields towered with mountains and hopfully cows grazing with bells .. ( I wish I could go to Switz. but it is more expensive .. .since I need to save some money for my 7 weeks long India trip also).
And then back to munich for 2 nights.
Any ideas .. suggestions .. ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What to do in Dublin/ Waterford in 1 day
- 2 Would love input on France Itinerary: Paris, Avignon & Annecy with kids
- 3 Anyone ever been to Minsk, Belarus?
- 4 Rome, Italy Sistine Chapel
- 5 seeking advice for Turkey trip in November
- 6 renting a car in Spain and driving to Portugal
- 7 Ira, Ira, Ira, who is Ira?
- 8 Sicily: Day trips from Palermo to Erice, Segesta and Cefalu
- 9 Hotel at or near Brussels airport
- 10 England/Scotland in January?
- 11 London During Rugby International September 2015
- 12 Clown wants to do some street performing in Europe
- 13 Madrid Hotel - Help me choose between these 2!
- 14 9-10 days in portugal - may 2016
- 15 PASSPORT number changed
- 16 Auto Europe or Hertz?
- 17 Don't kill me - 88 days in Paris Airbnb?
- 18 Q re Capital One Venture Rewards Card
- 19 First Time in France--Paris and Burgundy
- 20 Scotland itinerary
- 21 Help planning 10 day trip near Brussels/Amsterdam
- 22 Northern Wales Itinerary Review
- 23 In Pursuit of Vikings, Fjords and Cooler Weather, thursdaysd Goes North
- 24 15 hour layover in London with children, should we leave the airport?
- 25 Ice for a cooler
12 days in Munich- Bavaria area in May 2009- Countryside, farm vacation