After much thinking, I have somehow finalized my trip. Our family of 5 (kids ages 9 ,6, 6) is taking a 12 day stopover in Munich area, and we are on a tight budget.
Reach on 15th May afternoon. Drive towards Berchtesgaden.
Stay for 4 nights at www.gaestehaus-stoeckl.de
I have not seen much reviews of this place but it is the least expensive I can find and it does have the kitchen (woo hoo .. in case I need to fix a quick meal for the family).
Initially I was thinking about staying 2 days here and 2 days in Hallstatt, but then I thought of all the packing and unpacking with kids .. so now Hallstatt have to be a day trip. We will see the Salt Mine, Castle, Eagle's nest, Hellbrun .. all the popular places .. whatever we can see depending upon weather.
Drive via Innsbruck, mittenwald .. towards Fussen area and stay there 3 days. I really want to stay at least once on a farm. I have heard it is very popular in Germany but unfortunately I do not know how to find them ( I have googled .. but no success). We would like to go to mountain peak, may be Luge ride ??, see castles. In Mittenwald we would like to visit the famous Violin maker. Oh! And I also heard that somewhere close to Oberammergau -- there is wood carving and vast fields of mustards that might be blooming in May (does anyone know about this?). In one DVD they also mentioned that there is a stagecoach for mail delivery in garmisch-partenkirchen area. Anyone, any ideas??
Then we want to move to meerburg, mainau area and stay there three days. We will go to Triberg to see Cuckoo Clocks .. one day.
Somewhere in between I am hoping to see streams and waterfalls. We will rent a car so we can see countryside -- may be in future we will take public transport and stay closer to more popular cities.
Any one -- any ideas .. Any budget places to stay around the area we are visiting. I would like to spend no more than $100 or $110 per day in lodging, if possible.
I am also dying to see the fields towered with mountains and hopfully cows grazing with bells .. ( I wish I could go to Switz. but it is more expensive .. .since I need to save some money for my 7 weeks long India trip also).
And then back to munich for 2 nights.
Any ideas .. suggestions .. ?
12 days in Munich- Bavaria area in May 2009- Countryside, farm vacation
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bus Tours in Scotland???
- 2 Apartment rental suggestions in Florence and Rome
- 3 Savoring Sicily - A Trip Report
- 4 Restaurants in Spain
- 5 big family in Ireland
- 6 UK for 10 days with 9 and 13 year old
- 7 What to wear
- 8 Touring Dover Castle
- 9 Help me plan Greece portion of anniversary trip
- 10 Ireland itinerary
- 11 Barcelona and Italy itinerary...hotels all set, need help w some details
- 12 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 13 Day trips from Varenna, Lake Como
- 14 Buses in Amalfi coast town areas
- 15 Cell phones in Ireland
- 16 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 17 7 Nights in Paris
- 18 Santorini transportation
- 19 Frecciabianca Seat Selection, please help.
- 20 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 21 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person
- 22 Mephisto Shoes in Paris
- 23 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 24 Carry on luggage only with a family travelling to Europe?
- 25 Madrid and London