After much thinking, I have somehow finalized my trip. Our family of 5 (kids ages 9 ,6, 6) is taking a 12 day stopover in Munich area, and we are on a tight budget.
Reach on 15th May afternoon. Drive towards Berchtesgaden.
Stay for 4 nights at www.gaestehaus-stoeckl.de
I have not seen much reviews of this place but it is the least expensive I can find and it does have the kitchen (woo hoo .. in case I need to fix a quick meal for the family).
Initially I was thinking about staying 2 days here and 2 days in Hallstatt, but then I thought of all the packing and unpacking with kids .. so now Hallstatt have to be a day trip. We will see the Salt Mine, Castle, Eagle's nest, Hellbrun .. all the popular places .. whatever we can see depending upon weather.
Drive via Innsbruck, mittenwald .. towards Fussen area and stay there 3 days. I really want to stay at least once on a farm. I have heard it is very popular in Germany but unfortunately I do not know how to find them ( I have googled .. but no success). We would like to go to mountain peak, may be Luge ride ??, see castles. In Mittenwald we would like to visit the famous Violin maker. Oh! And I also heard that somewhere close to Oberammergau -- there is wood carving and vast fields of mustards that might be blooming in May (does anyone know about this?). In one DVD they also mentioned that there is a stagecoach for mail delivery in garmisch-partenkirchen area. Anyone, any ideas??
Then we want to move to meerburg, mainau area and stay there three days. We will go to Triberg to see Cuckoo Clocks .. one day.
Somewhere in between I am hoping to see streams and waterfalls. We will rent a car so we can see countryside -- may be in future we will take public transport and stay closer to more popular cities.
Any one -- any ideas .. Any budget places to stay around the area we are visiting. I would like to spend no more than $100 or $110 per day in lodging, if possible.
I am also dying to see the fields towered with mountains and hopfully cows grazing with bells .. ( I wish I could go to Switz. but it is more expensive .. .since I need to save some money for my 7 weeks long India trip also).
And then back to munich for 2 nights.
Any ideas .. suggestions .. ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mennagio to Switzerland - 3 days....
- 2 Is Bullfighting still going-on in Spain in October?
- 3 Orange or other Spain SIM card available in Barcelona Airport?
- 4 Barcelona completely overrated
- 5 Schengen Entry Ban ,can travel Romania?
- 6 Prague old town
- 7 Rome Airport Question!
- 8 Train from London to Leeds and from York to London
- 9 Thanksgiving Trip from Land
- 10 tablet
- 11 26 days in Italy
- 12 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 13 Car rental between countries
- 14 Holland Itinerary
- 15 Train Ticket Help
- 16 Puglia Itinerary - too many choices
- 17 Whirlwind trip!
- 18 recommended hospitals in Athens Greece
- 19 Need Help with Itinerary – First Time in Portugal (2 Weeks)
- 20 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 21 Spring Spain Itinerary
- 22 Car rental scams at Frankfurt airport
- 23 TRAVEL COMPANION WANTED
- 24 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 25 Where to eat Paella in Valencia?
12 days in Munich- Bavaria area in May 2009- Countryside, farm vacation