My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 UNITED STATE YAHOO@ Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:982:8520 Tec*h 24/7
- 2 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 3 2 days in Lugano area
- 4 Scotland in December
- 5 Car Service, CDG to Paris hotel.
- 6 Hotel Fita Amsterdam- questions re: air conditioning
- 7 Half day in Côte d'Azur
- 8 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 9 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 10 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 11 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 12 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 13 10 days in London in early December
- 14 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 15 Lisbon Hotel choice
- 16 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 17 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 18 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 19 tickets for Wimbledon
- 20 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 21 retruning to US with souveniers
- 22 How much do you tip a tour guide on an escorted tour?
- 23 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 24 Italy in January?
- 25 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017