My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best airport Car services
- 2 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 3 http://advancedtrimsite.com/pro-muscle-elite-edition/
- 4 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 5 5 Ladies, 4 Destinations and 1 Month
- 6 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 7 Terminal 1 CDG Airport to Le Bus Direct Line 2 Station Airport
- 8 Into Barcelona out of Madrid !! Help!!?
- 9 Easiest way to send photo eq. to the hotel
- 10 http://www.levantecreamtrial.com/beverly-hills-md-dark-spot-corrector/
- 11 Day in London
- 12 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 13 sim card
- 14 Copenhagen / Stockholm trip advice
- 15 Lake Garda- Italy
- 16 Sample itinerary Germany in March
- 17 European Championship
- 18 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 19 Plan Italy trip
- 20 http://garciniaweightlose.com/garcinia-active-slim/
- 21 Lisbon Airport - A Huge Mess
- 22 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 23 when you consider that it swivels
- 24 Train from Rome to Naples
- 25 How to reduce weight