My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
11 days in Northern Italy- itinerary help needed
- 1 Trulli Foodie Puglia-two weeks to eat through!!!
- 2 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 3 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 4 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 5 Taxi Availability from Bus Station
- 6 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 7 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 8 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 9 Apartments in Rome
- 10 Is there a Morning Ferry from Mykonos to Paros in late May on a Friday?
- 11 Which travel plan?
- 12 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 13 Chambermaid tipping
- 14 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 15 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 16 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 17 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 18 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 19 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 20 London for Christmas
- 21 To Paris and Provence in June
- 22 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 23 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 24 Euro Train
- 25 Anniversary Weekend in Paris