My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
11 days in Northern Italy- itinerary help needed
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 2 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 3 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 4 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 5 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 6 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 7 Palm Sunday in Paris
- 8 Paris airport shuttle recommendations
- 9 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 10 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 11 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 12 Gotland Sweden Hotels
- 13 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 14 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 15 Mycenae Documentary
- 16 Travelling two weeks in London, Ireland and Scotland.
- 17 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 18 30 Days in Europe - 29 y/o male
- 19 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 20 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 21 Amalfi transport to Pompeii ruins
- 22 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 23 Croatia - Hvar or Korcula or both?
- 24 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 25 Mont St Michel