My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TURKEY + ? in 20 days
- 2 Need advice on transportation
- 3 Porto to Lisbon and the airport
- 4 Cycling in France
- 5 Best way to access Australian-based cash on holidays in Europe?
- 6 Itinerary Help: Granada or Madrid??
- 7 Spain or Greece with Turkey with kids
- 8 Taking wine home from France
- 9 Tallinn for 1st time
- 10 International Driver's license requested at rental agencies in Spain
- 11 Suggestions for cheaper destinations for mid-twenties couple
- 12 Driving Trip Basque Country and/or Aquitaine Pls Advise
- 13 Avignon
- 14 Springtime in Paris and Provence – April 2015
- 15 Calling out to all Spain lovers! 2 weeks in mid Sep - need some new ideas!
- 16 Provence - Cassis and the Luberon?
- 17 Pompeii and Amalfi in three days
- 18 Norway in a NutShell via Car/Boat
- 19 Storage of extra luggage
- 20 8 days in Ireland. Dublin to Shannon.
- 21 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 22 Stops between Frankfurt and Berner Oberland
- 23 Advice for overnight Istanbul layover?
- 24 September in Switzerland
- 25 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?