My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
11 days in Northern Italy- itinerary help needed
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 American electrical gadgets
- 2 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 3 Connection - Frankfurt airport to Mannheim HBF to SNCF
- 4 Ten days in Portugal - what are your favorites?
- 5 Piri-Piri, Pastel de Nata and Port…Perfectly Portugal
- 6 London neighborhood suggestions
- 7 seven days in Portugal
- 8 Germany A'dam Belgium Itinerary Help
- 9 Eating in France-two new books
- 10 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 11 Malmaison - how to get there from Paris
- 12 Spain tips beyond safety
- 13 Lake Como 3 Stretch and 7 Stretch Ferry Tickets
- 14 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 15 I need a haircut
- 16 Day trip to Chartres -mini questions
- 17 What to wear
- 18 Croatia: Advice on 6 day itinery
- 19 3 weeks France + north Italy itinerary
- 20 1 week in Croatia
- 21 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 22 High Level 12 day Itinerary for Turkey; Mountain Lovers and Photographer
- 23 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 24 german rail ticket question
- 25 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?