My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 2 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 3 We're here!
- 4 LONDON - New Years Eve
- 5 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 6 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 7 Paris hotels
- 8 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 9 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 10 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 11 Budapest in December 2017
- 12 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 13 Trek through Eur
- 14 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 15 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 16 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 17 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 18 Roma Pass
- 19 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 20 Amsterdam hotels
- 21 Denmark or Sweden?
- 22 Europe itinerary questions
- 23 London Hotels
- 24 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 25 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?