My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
11 days in Northern Italy- itinerary help needed
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Would this be a good area to stay in Paris?
- 2 A month in Positano - where to stay??
- 3 Chamonix - Information
- 4 What to see/do in eastern section of Ireland?
- 5 Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass worth it for multi-country trip?
- 6 Voltage in UK and France
- 7 London, Edinburgh, and Paris Itinerary
- 8 South of France
- 9 Papal audience-Easter
- 10 How far ahead do you buy plane tickets?
- 11 Planning 10 day trip from Athens around Greece
- 12 Madrid - and where else in Spain in March?
- 13 From Porto to the Douro Valley wine route
- 14 Rome - Vatican and Catacomb
- 15 Cannot see Anadolu Ateşi in Antalya. Options in Istanbul?
- 16 Help me plan an unforgettable London/Paris trip...for my 5 year old
- 17 How's this Budget (4-5 weeks in Spain and Italy)
- 18 First Solo Trip Spain/ Portugal
- 19 Nature of France
- 20 Hotel Artorius in Rome
- 21 Day Trips by Train from Bologna: Florence, Faenza, Ravenna
- 22 Emilia Romagna Region
- 23 France--a month+ by car and train--ideas please!
- 24 Italy/France Itinerary - What do You Think?
- 25 Bus from Montepulciano, Italy to Roma Fiumicino Airport?