My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain for 2 weeks in April but what parts?
- 2 Paris with Layover in Munich. Can we leave the airport?
- 3 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 4 Will you skip Vienna for other city?
- 5 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 6 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 7 Vienna or Budapest?
- 8 Rome to Florence Road Trip, Vineyard Recommendations
- 9 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 10 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 11 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 12 Bamboozled. First trip to Europe. Motorhome v car and other questions...
- 13 Budapest Hotels
- 14 Hotel Bonaparte, Paris
- 15 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 16 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 17 London's Must Sights!
- 18 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 19 Chatsworth/Hardwick Hall Timing
- 20 First Time Solo Travel info
- 21 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 22 TGV from Paris to Vienna?
- 23 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 24 Midway stop btwn Paris & Venice?
- 25 One month in southern Spain with little ones. Where to stay?