I will be travelling with two of my friends to Ireland over St. Patricks Day- we are roughly 23-24 years old. I have a friend who is studying abroad in Dublin, and we will be flying in there on Friday March 14th. We will then stay with him over that weekend through Saint Patrick's Day (which is that next Monday), and I also plan on taking a bus tour from Dublin to Kilkenny and Glendalough on Sunday. It is after we leave Dublin to explore the rest of the country where I need some advice.
I was advised to rent a car, so right now I am planning on renting at the Shannon airport, so that we can return it there and fly out of Shannon after we are done (we're going to England next). So on Tuesday the 18th we will take a train and then a bus to the Shannon Airport to pick up our car. Since we only have a limited time (through Tuesday the 25th) I'd like to see as much of Ireland as we can without trying to squeeze in too much. The plan I have as of now is:
Tues 18th- Rent our car and either stay in Ennis or drive to Doolin.
Wednes 19th- See the cliffs of moher, the burren, and stay at Doolin or drive to Galway
Thurs 20th- Galway (maybe Connemara as well/ cong)
Friday 21st- one of my friends will be leaving to go home early so we will drop him off at the galway train station so he can catch his flight in dublin. Then I was planning on travelling south to Dingle and spending that night checking out the dingle music scene.
Saturday 22nd- drive around the Dingle Peninsula and check out some side roads and smaller towns, spend the night in dingle
Sunday 23rd- Ring of Kerry and Killarney for the night
Monday 24th- Killarney National Park/ Kenmare, or anything else in the area
Tuesday 25th- fly out of Shannon
Would you add or take away anything from this list? Some more information:
We will be frequenting the pubs wherever we go, so if there is a specific town that you think would appeal to us based on our age please let me know (I've heard Galway is more geared to a younger crowd).
I am interested in seeing some early Christian sites/ monuments, is there anything in Ireland (even if we have to drive a little out of the way) that is particularly worth a visit?
I am also interested in neolithic sites as well.
I am considering going to Athlone, even though it is out of the way, to go to Sean's Bar and Clonmacnoise... do you think it would be worth it to make this sidetrip (we may have to cut something out in order to make it)?
Do you think it would be better spending our time in County Kerry and Galway, rather than staying in Doolin or Ennis in County Clare? Should we cut Ennis out on Tues 18th so that we can stay an extra night in Galway?
I would like to see some old parts of Ireland that date back through the medieval times- like cities that have a very historic feel to them- but we won't get stared at for being a bunch of young americans... going through areas that have been roughly the same for a thousand years or so is whats most attractive to me.
Thank you for any advice and recommendations that you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 2 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 3 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 4 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 5 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 6 Bordeaux to Nice
- 7 Greek Village
- 8 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 9 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 10 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 11 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 12 Uber vs. TfL
- 13 Berlin
- 14 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 15 A Trip Report: Springtime in Italy - May 9 to June 2, 2011
- 16 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 17 Germany or Sweden
- 18 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 19 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 20 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 21 Two days in Rome
- 22 We didn't love Florence the way we thought we might
- 23 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 24 PARIS
- 25 One free day in Barcelona