I am planning a 10 day trip to Germany and am looking for advice / insight / recommendations. We are planning on going at the end of September 2011 (to experience Oktoberfest).
My uncle lives in Stuttgart, so as of right now, we are planning on hitting Munich and Stuttgart. Which leads me to my first question- what other cities would you hit?
Our plan is to fly out of Miami and directly into Munich. We are planning on the red eye on Thursday night and land in Munich on Friday morning and spend until Sunday morning there. Then on Sunday, we plan to make our way to Stuttgart. We plan on flying home the following Saturday, which gives us 6 days in Stuttgart to do day trips or time to go some place else. My next question is, what do you recommend? Is there enough to do around Stuttgart to make some day trips? Or would you just spend a few days there and then move on? The upside is that we have a free place to stay in Stuttgart.
One of the places I was looking at that I thought would be a good day trip is the Black Forest. It looks like you could do some nice hiking and spend some time enjoying nature and have a picnic. And I would be remiss if I did not mention that I want a piece of that chocolate cake! But seriously, is it worth the day? And is it something that we can do in 1 day?
Where else in Southern Germany would you recommend? Would you recommend making our way to Zurich or Salzburg? We are not opposed to a flying out of another or country- maybe spending 4 days in Stuttgart and then 2 someplace else.
I guess what I really would like to know is what do you think of this itinerary? What would you change? What would you do?
I think I should probably mention that neither my husband or myself have ever been to Europe. This will be both of our 1st time, and the reason we chose Germany is because my uncle is living there for a couple of years. We definitely want to spend some time in Stuttgart to see him.
Any advice that you could offer would be great! We are still in the very early phases of planning so there is still a lot of flexibility in our itinerary. The only thing that is set is the Thursday-Saturday time frame (due to vacation day restraints). We would also like to be in Munich over a weekend, since we have some friends that live there and they would only be able to play tour guide on the weekend.
10 Day trip to Germany
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cornwall Trip Addition
- 2 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 3 Best way to get from Brno to Budapest
- 4 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 5 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 6 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 7 Chip but no PIN
- 8 Almost 3 weeks in Sicily in March
- 9 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 10 Murren/Wengen in 3 days?
- 11 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 12 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 13 Stay near Paris
- 14 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help
- 15 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 16 Oktoberfest reservations
- 17 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 18 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 19 Eurostar booking
- 20 Questions for my German friends
- 21 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 22 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 23 Good neighborhood to stay in Porto
- 24 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?
- 25 Flying into Barcelona and have 5 days to go where?