I am planning a 10 day trip to Germany and am looking for advice / insight / recommendations. We are planning on going at the end of September 2011 (to experience Oktoberfest).
My uncle lives in Stuttgart, so as of right now, we are planning on hitting Munich and Stuttgart. Which leads me to my first question- what other cities would you hit?
Our plan is to fly out of Miami and directly into Munich. We are planning on the red eye on Thursday night and land in Munich on Friday morning and spend until Sunday morning there. Then on Sunday, we plan to make our way to Stuttgart. We plan on flying home the following Saturday, which gives us 6 days in Stuttgart to do day trips or time to go some place else. My next question is, what do you recommend? Is there enough to do around Stuttgart to make some day trips? Or would you just spend a few days there and then move on? The upside is that we have a free place to stay in Stuttgart.
One of the places I was looking at that I thought would be a good day trip is the Black Forest. It looks like you could do some nice hiking and spend some time enjoying nature and have a picnic. And I would be remiss if I did not mention that I want a piece of that chocolate cake! But seriously, is it worth the day? And is it something that we can do in 1 day?
Where else in Southern Germany would you recommend? Would you recommend making our way to Zurich or Salzburg? We are not opposed to a flying out of another or country- maybe spending 4 days in Stuttgart and then 2 someplace else.
I guess what I really would like to know is what do you think of this itinerary? What would you change? What would you do?
I think I should probably mention that neither my husband or myself have ever been to Europe. This will be both of our 1st time, and the reason we chose Germany is because my uncle is living there for a couple of years. We definitely want to spend some time in Stuttgart to see him.
Any advice that you could offer would be great! We are still in the very early phases of planning so there is still a lot of flexibility in our itinerary. The only thing that is set is the Thursday-Saturday time frame (due to vacation day restraints). We would also like to be in Munich over a weekend, since we have some friends that live there and they would only be able to play tour guide on the weekend.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Costa Brava on way Girona to Barcelona
- 2 Avignon
- 3 DW, DD6, DD4, and me to Greece!!! Yippeeee.
- 4 Norway in a NutShell via Car/Boat
- 5 Trip Report: a Week at Italian School in Verona
- 6 8 days in Ireland. Dublin to Shannon.
- 7 Palace of the Popes
- 8 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 9 booking the train from Pompeii to Rome
- 10 Naples & Amalfi Coast
- 11 Suggestions for cheaper destinations for mid-twenties couple
- 12 Using ITALIARAIL for booking reservations
- 13 Why should I go to Norway in Oct?
- 14 One Week France, Mid Oct, after Paris
- 15 2 week Scandinavia Trip
- 16 Lazio - Where to spend 2 days ?
- 17 Padova Experts! Scrovegni Booking Quandry
- 18 Springtime in Paris and Provence – April 2015
- 19 Santorini for three nights
- 20 Cycling in France
- 21 Driving Trip Basque Country and/or Aquitaine Pls Advise
- 22 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 23 Ideas for a family holiday on Cote d´Azur ( near St Tropez)
- 24 An extra day between Edinburgh and London
- 25 Stops between Frankfurt and Berner Oberland