I am planning a 10 day trip to Germany and am looking for advice / insight / recommendations. We are planning on going at the end of September 2011 (to experience Oktoberfest).
My uncle lives in Stuttgart, so as of right now, we are planning on hitting Munich and Stuttgart. Which leads me to my first question- what other cities would you hit?
Our plan is to fly out of Miami and directly into Munich. We are planning on the red eye on Thursday night and land in Munich on Friday morning and spend until Sunday morning there. Then on Sunday, we plan to make our way to Stuttgart. We plan on flying home the following Saturday, which gives us 6 days in Stuttgart to do day trips or time to go some place else. My next question is, what do you recommend? Is there enough to do around Stuttgart to make some day trips? Or would you just spend a few days there and then move on? The upside is that we have a free place to stay in Stuttgart.
One of the places I was looking at that I thought would be a good day trip is the Black Forest. It looks like you could do some nice hiking and spend some time enjoying nature and have a picnic. And I would be remiss if I did not mention that I want a piece of that chocolate cake! But seriously, is it worth the day? And is it something that we can do in 1 day?
Where else in Southern Germany would you recommend? Would you recommend making our way to Zurich or Salzburg? We are not opposed to a flying out of another or country- maybe spending 4 days in Stuttgart and then 2 someplace else.
I guess what I really would like to know is what do you think of this itinerary? What would you change? What would you do?
I think I should probably mention that neither my husband or myself have ever been to Europe. This will be both of our 1st time, and the reason we chose Germany is because my uncle is living there for a couple of years. We definitely want to spend some time in Stuttgart to see him.
Any advice that you could offer would be great! We are still in the very early phases of planning so there is still a lot of flexibility in our itinerary. The only thing that is set is the Thursday-Saturday time frame (due to vacation day restraints). We would also like to be in Munich over a weekend, since we have some friends that live there and they would only be able to play tour guide on the weekend.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 2 Parentheses in France Phone Nos...will iPhone dial appropriately?
- 3 Hotel Booking Discount!
- 4 TER ticket bought online -- good all day?
- 5 Amsterdam Train Help Please!
- 6 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 7 Looking for recommendation for lodging in NAXOS, GREECE
- 8 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 9 Scotland itinerary advice
- 10 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 11 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 12 Children's seat on Nextbike in Wachau Valley?
- 13 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 14 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 15 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
- 16 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 17 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 18 Munich to Hallstatt in a day
- 19 Help Planning Honeymoon
- 20 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 21 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 22 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 23 Valencia Spain
- 24 Day Trip From Lisbon
- 25 Visiting Zurich